Hurricane Helene

Danderman123

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I wasn't referring to the geography, but to the strength of storms. Galveston happened long before climate change became a cult word.

In this area it is down to flow rates and descent down the mountains. I have noticed just east of me on that side of the range they always get hit hard. They basically built towns in the cracks of the mountains. There is very little flat l;and.

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Supplies don't matter when they and your house are either under six feet of water or completely washed away. 

I had considered that, and indeed in some cases it's going to be a complete loss, But I'll hazard a guess and the 6 feet of water is going to go away and if the house is still there, the supplies will be too.

The possibility of complete loss does not excuse doing nothing beforehand though.

9 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Supplies don't matter when they and your house are either under six feet of water or completely washed away. 

That is actually when supplies matter the most. When you lack shelter and are vulnerable.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

While people can always be better prepared, referring to mountainous western North Carolina as a 'hurricane zone' and then talking of Galveston sitting lowland on the Gulf of Mexico is a bit of a stretch.

I wasn't referring to a specific state, just to anywhere in a hurricane zone. My advice stands even for those not in a hurricane zone. The unexpected is just that.

In my case it's likely to be an earthquake.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wasn't referring to a specific state, just to anywhere in a hurricane zone. My advice stands even for those not in a hurricane zone. The unexpected is just that.

In my case it's likely to be an earthquake.

OK. I was set to visit then was canceled NC when 22 SEP1989 Hurricane Hugo hit coastal NC. I noticed then too people were short on supplies.

I went back to my home in Alameda (town) East Bay San Francisco and  stocked up on water and supplies and 3 weeks  later 17 OCT 1989 the Loma Prieta earthquake hit. I was on the collapsed Cypress Freeway structure twice that morning. And I still keep a supply of 6 liter water jugs here in Isaan.

So one can never tell can one?

sipa-12991229-c0659d3f-bf20-4c14-9827-86c8867dd7b5.webp.a1865be8cc43907d4e2a010d832570d1.webp

3 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

That is actually when supplies matter the most. When you lack shelter and are vulnerable.

I would guess that many if not most people living in cabins away from towns or cities did have stocks of food and water. But it didn't do them any good when the water either washed it away or it's sitting there right now under a lake of flood water where they can't retrieve itThis isn't an exercise for Doomsday Preppers. People likely outfitted with emergency supplies saw them destroyed and that is why they need help right now.

Biden and Harris need to get on the stick and mount a massive Federal response to the storm.  So far I'm not seeing much of that--but, perhaps its not being reported.  They need to be seen to be on top of things and totally engaged in making things better, and as quickly as possible.  How many politicians have been voted out of office or were severely criticized  because they went on vacation when a storm hit, didn't clear the roads fast enough after a snow storm, didn't respond fast enough, or were perceived to be not acting fast enough, after a disaster?  

So close to the election, this is really important for the Democrats,  They are in charge of the clean-up, not Trump.  They will be blamed if the effort falls short, or even if it is thought by some to have fallen short, not Trump.  Trump can make hay with this--and likely will. 

My brother and his wife live in North Carolina and things have been bad for several days now.  The interstates have been closed, there's no electricity, and there's a lot of storm damage.  For now, they are living in their motor home, rather than their house, as they can sparingly use some sort of generator with the motor home.  

The first day or two of a disaster there's a can-do spirit in play but that grows old quickly when you go day after day with no electricity, roads are still blocked, food starts to go bad, etc.  Day three or four, you start to look around for someone to blame.  Like I said, get on the stick, Biden and Harris.  Time's a'-wastin'.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2024 at 5:56 AM, Danderman123 said:

Well, at least you agree that the oceans are warming.

Trump claims they are cooling.

Well now DT IS Right ,,, 

So what now Global warming ? Bull sh!t hey.

Large patch of the Atlantic Ocean near the equator has been cooling at record speeds — and scientists can't figure out why. Scientists are trying to decipher what drove the recent dramatic cooling of the tropical Atlantic, but so far few clues have emerged.Aug 28, 2567 BE

Some troll posts trolling about Trump have been removed.

Posts using derogatory and toxic nicknames or intentional misspelling of people’s names will be removed. If you don’t want your post to be removed, spell people’s names correctly, this applies to both sides of the political debate.

7 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

2020 North Carolina Presidential election -- western NC 'Hurricane Helene' to the left with the 2 blue spots Asheville and Boone:

400px-North_Carolina_Presidential_Election_Results_2020.svg.png

You will be seeing far less blue this upcoming election

6 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

In this area it is down to flow rates and descent down the mountains. I have noticed just east of me on that side of the range they always get hit hard. They basically built towns in the cracks of the mountains. There is very little flat l;and.

Especially where they built near the sleepy little rivers and creeks. Look at the flood maps.