Man in Pattaya Holds Police at Bay for 4 Hours Before Taking Own Life

Georgealbert

IMG_6150.jpeg

A tense standoff lasting nearly four hours ended tragically on September 28, when a 39-year-old man, identified as Nirut Yamphuang, took his own life following a failed police negotiation. The drama unfolded in a parking lot near the popular Exite entertainment area in central Pattaya.

It all began earlier in the day when Patiphol Praipairat, a 20-year-old motorcycle taxi driver, reported being threatened at gunpoint by Nirut. The suspect, driving a silver Toyota Yaris, had pulled up near Patiphol's taxi stand and accused him of causing offense, brandishing a gun in the process. Patiphol managed to walk away unharmed, but Nirut fled the scene, sparking a citywide search.

At around 20:00 police, acting on a tip from Patiphol who spotted the same car near the Exite parking lot, moved in with over 20 officers. Nirut, realizing the police presence, attempted to flee but was eventually cornered inside the parking area.

As tensions escalated, police, led by Deputy Investigation Chief Pol Lt Col Thananon Athiphansri, attempted to negotiate with Nirut, who confirmed through a Facebook conversation that he was indeed the person involved in the earlier incident. However, Nirut expressed that his greater concern was an outstanding arrest warrant for attempted murder from Ratchaburi province in 2014. Threatening to take his own life, Nirut demanded that officers not approach.

In a shocking turn, Nirut requested a bottle of beer to steady his nerves and posted a farewell message on Facebook, saying, "I love everyone. I created this mess, and I will end it myself. This will be my last post. Don't call me, I need to save the battery for my final talk with my mom. Love you all."

Police intensified their efforts as they feared for the safety of nearby residents and tourists. A 200-metre perimeter was set up around the area as Chief Pol Col Navin Theerawit, head of Pattaya Police, took over negotiations, approaching Nirut within five metres. After a 20-minute conversation that seemed to ease the tension, the chief turned his back to report to his team. At that moment, Nirut raised his gun and shot himself in the head.

Medical teams rushed in but found Nirut in critical condition, with a gunshot wound to his right temple. He was taken to Pattaya City Hospital for emergency treatment. Investigators later determined the gun was a modified blank pistol.

Witnesses and friends, including a 46-year-old colleague who chose to remain anonymous, expressed that Nirut had not intended to harm anyone but had become overwhelmed by fear of prosecution and job loss following the conflict with the motorcycle taxi drivers.

The police are continuing their investigation into the incident and have taken possession of the modified firearm as evidence.

Picture and video from responders.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-29

news-footer-2.png

image.png

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

In a shocking turn, Nirut requested a bottle of beer to steady his nerves and posted a farewell message on Facebook, saying, "I love everyone. 

I can't see anything shocking in requesting a beer. 🍺

It'd be unaustralian not to let him have a farewell beer, he did love everyone. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST