Condo rewire

Johnlkuk

Hi again all,

So, with some great help from this forum earlier this year when I was searching for an earth here on the 12th floor:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1320063-earth-where-no-earth-exists-on-12th-floor/

I have returned to my condo armed with what I need to make my electrics safe: a new (larger, so expandable) Consumer Unit, main switch and RCBOs. 

2 days ago my power was isolated and I switched out the old, unprotected CU which looked like this...... 

IMG-20240117-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.00e95a727f54ba76ef2a022327f5d73d.jpeg

To now what looks like this......

IMG_20240929_103504.thumb.jpg.9a4bca509176ebcc392e143004cc3597.jpg

All of the previous wiring around the condo has remained, so all I did prior to this switchover was noted which cable goes where ie. A/C, shower, sockets lights etc.

All of these circuits will be rewired in the future, to incorporate the new earth, but for now I have just separated as many double-ups and mixed sized cables as possible, and then fitted into (hopefully appropriate) sized RCBO. 

Anyway, nothing has tripped and it's been on the past 2 days, so all is great. 

I do however have a question or 2, whether they are regarded as "code", or just "good practise", I hope to do the best job I can. 

Q1. 

So, I have my earth cable coming into the CU now, but should I connect it onto the busbar on the top right, then link it over to the neutral busbar, or should this stay separate and only be used once I've got my twin and earth cables run? 

Q2. 

Was I correct to put the larger sized RCBOs nearer to the main switch, then reduced size the further away, or should it be the other way around (smaller to larger)? 

Q1 - Connect your earth to whichever busbar is indicated as being for earth 🙂 

Do NOT connect it to the incoming neutral, it's pretty obvious from earlier posts that your building is not wired for MEN. Keep it as TT, you have individual RCBOs so you have excellent safety.

Q2 - It really doesn't matter although putting the heavier loads to the left certainly doesn't hurt.

• Thumbs Up 1