Concrete Truck Overturns, Crushing Car and Killing One in Chachoengsao

Georgealbert

The median U-turn is a unique feature of multilane highways in Thailand and is one of the most dangerous (and most idiotic, I would add) road features ever conceived by human mind. I am always extremely cautious when approaching a , expecting the unexpected.

I wonder why Thai have not yet discovered the roundabouts. They are much safer and not overwhelmingly expensive to build.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

What a good idea.

Putting some of the blame on the innocent victim who actually had the right of way, instead of ALL the blame on the cement truck driver, who should have stopped and waited at the U turn.

Did I get it wrong?  If she had followed the common sense approach of slowing down at junctions and looking out for traffic that is emerging into the road you are travelling on, would she not be more likely to have survived?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Did I get it wrong?  If she had followed the common sense approach of slowing down at junctions and looking out for traffic that is emerging into the road you are travelling on, would she not be more likely to have survived?

And if the concrete truck driver had stopped, BEFORE making a U turn, (as he should have done), she would still be alive.

She had the right of way, HE didn't.

Nor does it appear that he even bothered to slow down.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

And if the concrete truck driver had stopped, BEFORE making a U turn, (as he should have done), she would still be alive.

She had the right of way, HE didn't.

Nor does it appear that he even bothered to slow down.

Yes.  If either the concrete truck wasn't driving too fast and didn't fail to give way, or, if the woman had been driving defensively and anticipated the threat the track would potentially pose, the accident probably would not have occurred as it did.

I'm glad that we can agree about that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AndreasHG said:

The median U-turn is a unique feature of multilane highways in Thailand and is one of the most dangerous (and most idiotic, I would add) road features ever conceived by human mind. I am always extremely cautious when approaching a , expecting the unexpected.

I wonder why Thai have not yet discovered the roundabouts. They are much safer and not overwhelmingly expensive to build.

Maybe because they require all traffic to give way to the left and move in the same direction.  I imagine a roundabout where people are constable traveling the wrong way round and never give way would be pretty dangerous.

Unfortunately, Thais simply won't follow road rules.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I imagine a roundabout where people are constable traveling the wrong way round and never give way

I have a lot of experience with roundabouts in Europe, and that exactly what it is: just your imagination.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, AndreasHG said:

I have a lot of experience with roundabouts in Europe, and that exactly what it is: just your imagination.

You're saying a roundabout where people go the wrong way round it and fail to give way would be safe to use?  Are you insane?

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

You're saying a roundabout where people go the wrong way

I am saying the roundabouts which are designed to be mistake-proof and have greatly contributed to reduce the number of road accidents in Europe. Like the one below:

Roundabaout.png

Edited by AndreasHG

9 hours ago, billd766 said:
10 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Indeed.  The cement mixer driver is at fault but, as is so common in road collisions, the victim could have done something to probably prevent it if she was driving with a little more care.

What a good idea.

Putting some of the blame on the innocent victim who actually had the right of way, instead of ALL the blame on the cement truck driver, who should have stopped and waited at the U turn.

Usually incidents, especially here involve more than one mistake... 

One party doing something extremely silly, and he other party also failing the drive in a defensive manner. 

That doesn't mean the 'innocent victim' is being blamed... the truck is driver of the cement trick clearly 100% to blame for this accident.... 

..... But, had any of 'us' (AseanNow readers) been driving, would we have observed the truck approaching, recognised that it was not slowing down nor about to yield and thus we'd have slammed on the anchors.... 

Many of the accidents I see here are for one primary reason - the last instinct and final action of all parties involved is to use the brakes. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AndreasHG said:

I am saying the roundabouts which are designed to be mistake-proof and have greatly contributed to reduce the number of road accidents in Europe. Like the one below:

Roundabaout.png

For Europe, yes.  That is not how they would be used in Thailand.  All arrows would need to have an arrow at each end and be going both clockwise and anticlockwise around the roundabout.

11 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

You're meant to slow down when you come to a junction and look out for traffic that's about to pull out.  If she did this, she would probably still be alive.

Not a junction, really.  It's a U-turn in the median of a highway.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Not a junction, really.  It's a U-turn in the median of a highway.

It's a junction:

A junction, when discussed in the context of transport, is a location where traffic can change between different routes, directions, or sometimes modes, of travel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junction_(traffic)

To put it simply, it's a place from where vehicles might pull out, so you should slow down as you approach it and look for vehicles pulling out.  This is especially true in Thailand, given the way people drive there.

Edited by BangkokReady

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

It's a junction:

To put it simply, it's a place from where vehicles might pull out, so you should slow down as you approach it and look for vehicles pulling out.  This is especially true in Thailand, given the way people drive there.

As you wish, buddy.  Not a junction as the term is used by most humans, but whatever.

• Confused 1