Coming to Thailand

3 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

No, never, there is nothing in section 12 that would allow that, that is why they use 12(2) normally

Yes, OK.

Was showing my frustration re IO "absolute discretion" -  eg nothing in section 12 so use 12(2) inappropriately.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2024 at 3:15 PM, Caldera said:

That suggestion is almost too idiotic to take it seriously, but I'll bite for the sake of argument.

What would have been the benefit of stopping those Covid extensions, for Thailand? Wasn't tourist spending down by enough already in your opinion?

I don't think Thailand suffered an uptick in crime due to some foreigners enjoying a prolonged stay during that special time. These foreigners also didn't qualify for any freebies that were to the Thai people's detriment. By and large, they spent money and seemed to have a great time (or at least a better time than they would have had elsewhere).

I think the Thai government's timing for phasing out the Covid extensions was perfect. Praise where praise is due.

That's your opinion, and you are totally entitled to it.

Personally, I drank a lot of beer during my brief internment during Thailand's lockdown, primarily because travel and shopping was still significantly challenged by local restrictions. My non-exempt entry expired shortly after they closed the borders, so after a couple of covid extensions and getting a new retirement extension, I was out of here 1st June 2021.

Our overall spending was significantly LESS than normal due to Covid restrictions. It was amazing to see the surge of nervous squatters posting the unanswerable question of "will they still issue covid extensions?" on this forum towards the end of their current 60-day extension. There were PLENTY of opportunities to go home or elsewhere. I was offshore Malaysia (after serving their quarantine requirements) and back in the UK by September 2021 to get the Covid shots that were still a total lottery to get here. Came back here in November. After some surgery here in February 2022, I was back working in Sabah. That's where I was when the government ended the covid extension charade.

But maybe you were a milkman.

Thanks for arguing.