Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

webfact

Why do we never see thais complaining about Burmese taking jobs? There seems to be many of them working in construction and restaurants alongside Thai people. No one says a word.

They must be here legally as I see them at immigration, often with an agent with a great big pile of passports.

44 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Why do we never see thais complaining about Burmese taking jobs? There seems to be many of them working in construction and restaurants alongside Thai people. No one says a word.

They must be here legally as I see them at immigration, often with an agent with a great big pile of passports.

read all of the post Simon43 post will answer your question 

• Haha 1

On 10/12/2024 at 3:06 AM, MikeandDow said:

There are thousands of post on this forum regarding exactly what you are posting  use the search

but in a nutshell if you are working  you are not allowed without a work permit  over the years its a bit more relaxed but i would check if you intended to do anything  people have been fined and banned for cutting the front lawn

1000's of posts?   And did you read the law.  It doesn't say " making jewelry" it qualifies that with " gold, silver, copper" but not platinum?

Also in those thousands is there an example of someone getting busted for repairing/ rebuilding 2 bamboo chairs my late FIL made while visiting at moms house for 3 weeks?  No payment.  It took me 3 weeks to not feel guilty laying in a hammock for 5 hours a day.  

25 minutes ago, Elkski said:

1000's of posts?   And did you read the law.  It doesn't say " making jewelry" it qualifies that with " gold, silver, copper" but not platinum?

Also in those thousands is there an example of someone getting busted for repairing/ rebuilding 2 bamboo chairs my late FIL made while visiting at moms house for 3 weeks?  No payment.  It took me 3 weeks to not feel guilty laying in a hammock for 5 hours a day.  

yes i know the law  but i can not understand your post!!  your point being !!  the list is jobs reserved for Thais  but you forget the Thai definition of work used by the labour ministry is The term “work” in Thai law is defined very broadly, covering both physical and mental activities, whether or not for wages or other form of compensation.

so by definition you would need a work permit making jewelry out of platinum and repairing repairing/ rebuilding 2 bamboo chairs  but as i have said check with the labour ministry they have softened over the years but as it stands that is the Law  its another thing for them to enforce the Law but that another question  please do your research

I will try to put it simply : Technically you would need a Work permit for a Lot of things around the house Expats do And That is the Law !! the average Thai does not care what a expat does But there is still a lot of Thais who don't like Expats those are the ones who would drop you in it to the labour ministry because you Technically broke the Law, so if you want to work without a work permit up to you

Edited by MikeandDow