Businessman Sued over Holiday Home that Looks Like Temple Pavilion

snoop1130

2 hours ago, radiochaser said:

That first paragraph is almost exactly what my Thai wife told me last week, when the discussion of having a house built in Thailand occurred.  

And she's right. While there are good Thai builders, they're few and far between and also are usually booked up for at least six months ahead. Far more Cowboys...

1 hour ago, itsari said:

If you have had no experience with  construction you will make matters worse 

You need experience in Thai construction methods before you can have any hope of supervising a house construction in Thailand.

So much laughter from individuals that have a problem with keeping there underwear clean not  about supervising a builder that has far more knowledge than the foreign client who thinks he knows about Thailand construction.

Mostly I have heard from individuals that make statements like oh, we don't do foundations like that at home.

Every country has built up knowledge on how to build foundations which is probably the most important aspect on home construction.

43 minutes ago, Denim said:

Not at all. You don't need to know anything to make sure a window is in the right place or the right tiles go to the right room or that a wall is built to the correct height.

That can be supervised by a person that has little idea about construction I agree.

But that is not what is important to keep your investment standing up.

28 minutes ago, Denim said:

In a perfect world yes.  I was speaking to an old guy in the village and he asked me who had built the house. I told and he appeared to approve. He then told me his own experience with another builder who is , I believe ' now the village headman. He said that this builder did not supervise the construction enough with the result that his minions did not put enough rebar in one of the kangs ( wall supporting foundations )  with the result that once the wall was on it it cracked and the wall on it cracked with it. Builder said it was not his fault just stupid employee.

Most of the village workers are not trained builders. They are just day laborours. The builder you hire has the job of assembling a team of workers. He is supposed to be the one with the knowledge and should be the site foreman but they are often not upto the mark.

I think most people having a house built these days can swat up on the internet and learn from the experience of others how things should be done. There are dedicated Thai websites where you can go for advice on everything these days plus a zillion youtube videos on the subject.

The advantage of having a home built is that you can have it where you want. Away from things you don't like. If you buy something on a modern estate the house might be fine but it is a real lottery as to who you will get as neighbors.

If you are single with no intention of ever getting in a permanent relationship then renting is the simple option. If on the other hand you are married and your wife has a nice bit of land then at least she will have a home if you should die first.

Golden rule is don't do anything if you can't afford to walk away from it. That is , don't put your life savings into it or burn your bridges .

Now you have a different perspective on experience needed to advise a builder on how your house will be built.

Room size and window placement are important but not critical.

Best you or I  or anyone does there homework on who you intend to employ to build your house.

Running around with a tape measure will not accomplish success