Thai Healthcare for Foreigners

jaiyenyen

Hi.

I've lived and worked in Thailand for the past 20 years. I have a WP, pay tax, have a yellow TB and pink ID card. I also have health insurance provided by my employer. I don't (Because of my age) have Thai Social Security.

I've recently heard that as a foreigner, I can pay a small sum every year, enabling me to get some kind of basic Thai healthcare.

Is this true? If so, where should I apply?

23 hours ago, jaiyenyen said:

Hi.

I've lived and worked in Thailand for the past 20 years. I have a WP, pay tax, have a yellow TB and pink ID card. I also have health insurance provided by my employer. I don't (Because of my age) have Thai Social Security.

I've recently heard that as a foreigner, I can pay a small sum every year, enabling me to get some kind of basic Thai healthcare.

Is this true? If so, where should I apply?

What you may be thinking of is that people who have SS and retire or stop working can continue it on a self pay basis.  This option has to be taken within 6 months of stopping work.

I do not understand your statment that you don't have DS because of your age. If you started working before age 60 and are still employed then regardless of your vurrent sge you should have SS unless you work for a private school that opts not to participate in SS. 

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

What you may be thinking of is that people who have SS and retire or stop working can continue it on a self pay basis.  This option has to be taken within 6 months of stopping work.

I do not understand your statment that you don't have DS because of your age. If you started working before age 60 and are still employed then regardless of your vurrent sge you should have SS unless you work for a private school that opts not to participate in SS. 

Hi Sheryl. Thanks for your reply. Around 12 years ago I started working for a large well known teaching agency in Bangkok. I had a work permit and paid tax on my salary. Unknown to me, the agency didn't register me for Thai SS. I knew nothing about the Thai SS scheme at the time.

I was 59 by the time I found out about it. My wife made enquiries at the government office (Cheang Wattana). They said, at 59, I was to old to enter the SS scheme.

Now 67, I'm still working. I now work for a very large private company. Still paying tax on my salary.

I have heard that I could still be eligible for the Universal Coverage Scheme.

As I understand it, I don't need to be part of the SS scheme to get these health benefits (No matter how small), 

I would just have a small amount of money deducted from my salary every month.

Edited by jaiyenyen