PAYWALLS: Is net effect of paywalling totally negative for everyone? (Ex. Business Insider)

Dear Readers,

Does it seem increasingly clear to you that paywalling is bad for everyone?

For example, I recently found a link to Business Insider and clicked on it, only to find this garbage:

image.png.b92ef95ef77a0a0af005e3220d496250.png

Note:  If you wish to spend your money on the BI Paywall, then please click on this link, and get your credit card ready:  https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-1-million-giveaway-legal-questions-2024-10

And so what was the net effect of this stupidity?

a. I did not read the article.  Anyway, probably an asinine and best-forgotten article, in the first place, and so I did not miss a thing.

b. Business Insider lost a reader, me, because I will not click on BI articles again.

c.  Business Insider made no Baht, either.

===============

And, what do smart people (academics) say about paywalling?

a. For one thing, this practice  limits free exchange of information, something which is apparent to even a child in elementary school, one child that might benefit from further reading.

b.  And then, you have academic thinkers who say this about paywalling...

image.png.58ef2030e3f9dac31992f1ce41cd6522.png

https://www.csulb.edu/cob-graduate-programs/faculty-and-research/article/newspaper-paywall-a-profitable-strategy#:~:text=While paywalls brought a success,newly generated digital subscription revenue.

You can do what you like and just PAY-UP on Paywall sites.

But I NEVER again will make such a foolish choice.  A few years ago, I paid for the NYT, but then, I got scammed when they suddenly began charging me more, without asking my permission.

What?  They think it's so very easy to scam me, an American, and a college grad, and one who read the paper-printed version of the NYT beginning in high school, when a subscription was required for us students?

I will not pay.

I hope that you will not pay.

Who do these publishing houses and scammers think they are?

Anyway?

Sometimes I feel .....

What are the words?

I dunno....

PO'd?

Yeah.

Pissedoff.

That's how I feel.

What about you?

Regards,

Gamma

Edited by GammaGlobulin