Non-DIY Solar installation

I’m thinking about adding solar to my house. I live out near Lake Maprahchan in Banglamung Chonburi. I’ve got 4 inverter aircon units, and my PEA bill is usually ~6K baht per month. Plenty of roof area and unobstructed sun exposure. 

while I appreciate all of the DIY info and ideas on this forum, I know full well that I do not have the skills to undertake such a project on my own. 

I’m probably looking at a hybrid system with at least enough battery to get me thru the usual power outages, if not take me off the grid 90% of the time. I have a digital meter, sadly, so no expectation I will be a position to sell power back to the utility. 

Any recommendations for contractors?  Any particularly useful websites for me to guesstimate sizing?  Any particular equipment types/brands to look for or avoid?

thanks!!

2 hours ago, BasketCase said:

Any particularly useful websites for me to guesstimate sizing?

Sizing is easy to do for yourself.

• Think about what appliances might all be on at the same time.
  • Have a look at the rating plate on each of those appliances*
  • The power for each is added plus 20% for future expansion.

That will be a guide to the size of the inverter(s) you will need

* The rating plate is a small usually rectangular metal plate attached to the appliance often on the back or side where you can't quite see it.

Information on this plate will be voltage, frequency and power in watts. That power in watts is the relevant number you want.

Example I worked out that I should have a 12kW inverter but in reality 8kW is more than enough.

Incidentally I use 36kWh battery pack which discharges down to about 70% each night.

I am completely off grid but have an ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) so that I can use PEA electrickery, which just happens to come into my house, if necessary.

Sizing is simple, as your PEA bill will have your units/kWh used on all bills, along with 6 month history down the bottom.   Pick your highest usage, add 20%, and I'd price a system to handle that amount.

It's going to be a large, expensive system, if running all those ACs in the non sun/solar producing hours.   That's about 14 hrs overnight, 1800 to 0800 hrs

There's only 2 of us, and we only run 1 (13k BTU) overnight, and have 20kWh of ESS/battery.  Use 40% of that most nights, and our system cost ฿445k.  If we were running the other AC (24K BTU), then TBH, our system wouldn't really be enough.  

I wouldn't want to take the ESS down to 30% or less every night.

How many people in the house, during daytime and or nighttime, along with running the ACs.

We can use 1000kWh during March, April, May, and that's just 2 of us, and just those two ACs (13&24k BTU).  Bedroom on 24 hrs, and larger one on, only 10 hrs, if that.

We have BEVs, but our local driving is minimal, and not that much of a drain keeping them charged up.  Plenty of excess to keep them charged.

Along with more than a few days, where the solar is barely enough to supply the house, and recharge the batteries for overnight.

~40% of our system cost, was the ESS/battery, 20kWh @ ฿185k of that ฿445k.

Edited by KhunLA