Thai Inventions.

zappa

We know nothing about the brain development of Thai people

This kind of says it all; why on earth would the development of a "thai" brain be different from that of another human brain?

So in fact, they have all the knowledge of every scientist/study in the world that has been done.

But I guess Thais truly believe that they are some creature different from other nationalities/races on the planet.

Unbelievable, case in point :blink:

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All innovations and clever gimicks so far, but no real inventions :o

What about the infamous "Bum Gun" I haven't been anywhere yet that provides this anal cleanser except Thailand?

Stupidity on a road? probably less of an invention more of a trait. I think the country is more likely to produce "wise" thinkers rather than inventors - they tend to pay more attention to feeding the Jowtie Whisky and Laab Moo than actually coming up with anything of value.

They did of course invent the phrase "Amazing Thailand" which surely deserves a bit of credit -

The Chinese...don't forget they led the world in ocean travel at one time with some of the largest ships in the world in their time until they pulled back to their own borders..

That presupposes that the Chinese of centuries ago and of various dynasties, ethnic groups and regions are just a earlier monolithic version of the massive modern state of China. And that there was some sort of single policy decision by some central power to cease in that exploration rather than the ordinary changes -- and declines -- that take place for various reasons in a country over hundreds and hundreds of years.

Whatever modern (or future) China becomes, I doubt the travels of Zheng He or his predecessors or successors are much of an indication of it one way or another...

OK, I've got a Thai invention that has now found its way into every corner of the world:

RED BULL!

nope Scandanavian

Nope -- mostly a copy, by an Austrian (hardly Scandi), of a Thai drink known as กระทิงแดง Krating Daeng -- which means of course "Red Bull".

Which was based on a couple of products from Japan and S Korea...smile.gif

That presupposes that the Chinese of centuries ago and of various dynasties, ethnic groups and regions are just a earlier monolithic version of the massive modern state of China. And that there was some sort of single policy decision by some central power to cease in that exploration rather than the ordinary changes -- and declines -- that take place for various reasons in a country over hundreds and hundreds of years.

Whatever modern (or future) China becomes, I doubt the travels of Zheng He or his predecessors or successors are much of an indication of it one way or another...

A very interesting subject and Jared Diamond has written very interesting books about that subject, particularly Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed.

A very interesting subject and Jared Diamond has written very interesting books about that subject, particularly Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed.

Read it. And Guns, Germs and Steel (a previous work). But even without those, and merely employing some logic and basic knowledge of China and its history (and world history in general), I think one can see that the sea travels hundreds or thousands of years ago of people from what is now China, is about as relevant as the Vikings are to Scandinavian military power today. Or less so. (And what would it prove about the ability of the modern Chinese to be inventors rather than copiers?)

edit for typo

And

Edited by SteeleJoe

If we are going on about patents. the Thai company for which I work does hold a US patent for a specific kind of bag. Maybe not earth-shattering to many of the posters here, but this Thai company figured out how to do something which Western and Korean companies could not.

Holding a Patent is not the most importent part of a new innovation,the main criteria is it useful?

For example the British Patent Office/Building in London has 7,500,000 Patent claims housed there,but only around 90,000 have ever gone into production as a needed, saleable item!

In short it can be the greatest invention known to man,but if no manufacturer wants to invest his money to eventually see it on the shelves,as a needed consumer item,or it's too expensive to manufacter,then its worth and value is not worth a light,and will need to be shelved,pending discovery of cheaper production methods,or even for ever.

Excluding medicines/or Pharmaceutical products,which will be produced irrelevant of costs,but more to do with medical needs of patients,and how many patients would be using the medicine on a regular basis.

I saw a few days ago on TV (television) how Australia is going to import a Thai invention:

Scary pics on cigarette packs.

Donno if Thais ever patented it though, so Australia might getting IP free

Edited by poanoi

Have no idea what you wanted to say, however, the number of patents is one of the only practical ways to measure innovation.

And if the number of patents is very low - it's an indication of a lack of innovation.

And on a different note:

All "life changing" inventions / innovations in the past 300-400 years came from what we call the "West":

- Democracy

I think you'll find the the original version of democracy was invented by those pesky Greeks 2500 years ago.

Have no idea what you wanted to say, however, the number of patents is one of the only practical ways to measure innovation.

And if the number of patents is very low - it's an indication of a lack of innovation.

And on a different note:

All "life changing" inventions / innovations in the past 300-400 years came from what we call the "West":

After travelling through asia for 20 years, you soon come to realize that some of the things that were invented in the West hold a very high probability of being ideas that were actually taken from Asia.

Thai people have invented a Country that farangs can't stay away from.

Can't own land and house, Can't vote, get charged more, have no rights, you'll get nothing from the Thai government if you fall on hard times, you can be married to a Thai, have Thai children, speak fluent Thai, may have lived in Thailand and supported your Thai family for 30 years, yet you have no more rights or privilege than a sex Tourist who has been here for 30 minutes.

Yet still, they come !!rolleyes.gif

And still, they stay !!!smile.gif

Edited by Banzai99

The Chinese...don't forget they led the world in ocean travel at one time with some of the largest ships in the world in their time until they pulled back to their own borders..

Sure they are, just as they are for another melting pot country called the US.. The creativity and lust for exploration and other such discoveries is still there it's just been suppressed and is just beginning to come out once again.. Lets not forget that the US was once a manufacturing giant and that inspires invention and discoveries. That's been a large draw back to our evolution as a nation not having as much inspirational manufacturing which spawned much of the current robotics technology for example beginning with Fords assembly line.

And on a different note:

After travelling through asia for 20 years, you soon come to realize that some of the things that were invented in the West hold a very high probability of being ideas that were actually taken from Asia.

Such as?

Thai people have invented a Country that farangs can't stay away from.

Can't own land and house, Can't vote, get charged more, have no rights, you'll get nothing from the Thai government if you fall on hard times, you can be married to a Thai, have Thai children, speak fluent Thai, may have lived in Thailand and supported your Thai family for 30 years, yet you have no more rights or privilege than a sex Tourist who has been here for 30 minutes.

Yet still, they come !!rolleyes.gif

And still, they stay !!!smile.gif

I have been living here for 20 years with my very rich Hi So wife and never have met a sex Tourist. Are you sure their are sex Tourist here? Are you a sex Tourist?

And on a different note:

Such as?

The um eh er mm, um um umberella !

^^ Sorry it is a Thai concoction and the Scandi just partnered with, funded and promoted the drink and it's Thai owner who is now the richest Thai in Thailand.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention Red Bull though can't really consider it an "invention" though..

More like a Recipe!

Sure they are, just as they are for another melting pot country called the US.. The creativity and lust for exploration and other such discoveries is still there it's just been suppressed and is just beginning to come out once again.. Lets not forget that the US was once a manufacturing giant and that inspires invention and discoveries. That's been a large draw back to our evolution as a nation not having as much inspirational manufacturing which spawned much of the current robotics technology for example beginning with Fords assembly line.

uhhmmmm....what?

"Sure they are", you say? Who is "they"? And they are what? And how are "they" also the same thing for the US?

China is a melting pot country akin to the US?

The "creativity and lust for exploration and other such discoveries" (whatever that means) has been suppressed? (And it will just spontaneously and organically burst forth because it's in their DNA or what?)

I can't quite work out your post but I still stand by mine -- this is both arguably fallacious and irrelevant:

"Don't forget (China) led the world in ocean travel at one time with some of the largest ships in the world in their time until they pulled back to their own borders."

Next you'll be telling me that the Romans just chose to stop being an Empire but the Italians are destined to rule the world...Or the Spanish. Or the Greeks. Or...

[China may or may not continue to rise in a number of ways including its ability to be innovative etc -- I suspect they will -- but you have not shown that the exploration by whichever group(s) in ancient times in the lands that now comprise China have anything to do with that].

.........Thais using bronze before the Chinese, but I don't know whether they invented that. Where might they have got it if they had it before anyone else in SE Asia?

Over 20 years ago, I saw a special on one of the nature TV networks which indicated that the first evidence of bronze smelting was in northern Thailand. On a related note, some orange rings were uncovered on my property in northernmost Thailand, alongside the river bed which used to course about 300 to 500 years ago. The rings are made of old brick and are about 2 M in diameter. Most likely they were igloo shaped and used for either brick making or smelting. Thus far, about 25 rings have been exposed but there are probably many dozens on site. Perhaps most interestingly, we found lots of slag, which is a by-product of iron smelting - including 'black glass' - and iron bearing rock is abundant very nearby - though we haven't found any pure iron on site (maybe it all got used/taken).

One recent Thai invention: a Thai guy got a patent (from US?) for a soccer-sized ball which can be used to fight fires. It's rolled in to a burning area, and does its fire-suppression thing.

On a lighter note;perhaps Thais invented the rubber band tie for plastic bags, which only a fellow Thai can undo easily.

I have a few innovative items, and a couple inventions, but I won't go in to detail at this juncture.

Edited by maidu

.........Thais using bronze before the Chinese, but I don't know whether they invented that. Where might they have got it if they had it before anyone else in SE Asia?

Over 20 years ago, I saw a special on one of the nature TV networks which indicated that the first evidence of bronze smelting was in northern Thailand. On a related note, some orange rings were uncovered on my property in northernmost Thailand, alongside the river bed which used to course about 300 to 500 years ago. The rings are made of old brick and are about 2 M in diameter. Most likely they were igloo shaped and used for either brick making or smelting. Thus far, about 25 rings have been exposed but there are probably many dozens on site. Perhaps most interestingly, we found lots of slag, which is a by-product of iron smelting - including 'black glass' - and iron bearing rock is abundant very nearby - though we haven't found any pure iron on site (maybe it all got used/taken).

One recent Thai invention: a Thai guy got a patent (from US?) for a soccer-sized ball which can be used to fight fires. It's rolled in to a burning area, and does its fire-suppression thing.

On a lighter note;perhaps Thais invented the rubber band tie for plastic bags, which only a fellow Thai can undo easily.

I have a few innovative items, and a couple inventions, but I won't go in to detail at this juncture.

My property?:unsure:

My property?:unsure:

I secured the property, yes. Paid cash to the son of the deceased former owner. The property has no title, similar to 90% of the ten thousand parcels bordering the north part of Chiang Rai city. Why do all those properties have no title? My best guess, after 13 years here, is that the Land Dept. is just too lazy to get off their butts and do what needs to be done. The 3 properties I've secured in this area were all completely weed covered when I found them, and now each looks like a lovely park. The the kiln remnants (mentioned above) are interesting to farang, but when I mention it to Thai folks, they essentially yawn. It's as if they don't care to know anything about their history prior to 300 years ago.

A Thai patent is basically worthless. Without going into the intricacies of patent law, one of the most complex areas of law you would ever come across, its worthlessness lies in the vagaries of the Thai language. If you filed a patent in Thai, later discovered/decided that a US company for example, was infringing your patent, then you would have to go to court in the US. Forget the expense for a moment, the simple fact is that in an area of law where millions have been lost on a misplaced comma, the translation wouldn't get past the starting gate.

Thai companies can, and do, file patents both in Europe & the US in English. However in terms of patents filed versus economic wealth, LOS would probably be near the bottom. Then again you can't expect more from a nation that encourages rote learning, indeed insists upon it. The exact opposite to innovation, the ability to think outside the box.

I've often been amazed by the ingenuity I've seen in LOS, but that is at a street , village, level. Tour the Uni's and you won't see it. Blame the system, not the people.