Stranded In Cambodia

[Long live Thailand!

Thailand doesn't need any homeless beggers, there is plenty of people to feed here already. :o

WOW! Good to know! I'm a homeless beggar because I don't have 400,000 THB that I can transfer! I am going back to Thailand because of my girlfriend and baby. I am by no means a homeless beggar. I am not a criminal, cheat or liar. In fact, I am well educated work very hard at my chosen profession, which happens to be very very illegal for farang in Thailand. I am a musician. I play and teach the drums in the US. I am good at it, and I even write instruction books on it. It just doesn't pay a heck of a lot. I do it because I love it.

**And now, I am going to have to give up doing something that I have worked very hard my whole life at because I am only a homeless beggar! **

Untill I can get everything in place to leave, that is. D*** shame.

Leave ... leave ... Drummer. Ummmm ... where are you located now ?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[Long live Thailand!

Thailand doesn't need any homeless beggers, there is plenty of people to feed here already. :o

WOW! Good to know! I'm a homeless beggar because I don't have 400,000 THB that I can transfer! I am going back to Thailand because of my girlfriend and baby. I am by no means a homeless beggar. I am not a criminal, cheat or liar. In fact, I am well educated work very hard at my chosen profession, which happens to be very very illegal for farang in Thailand. I am a musician. I play and teach the drums in the US. I am good at it, and I even write instruction books on it. It just doesn't pay a heck of a lot. I do it because I love it.

**And now, I am going to have to give up doing something that I have worked very hard my whole life at because I am only a homeless beggar! **

Well Drummer, we all have to make choices sometimes, don't we? If you stay here for years on a tourist visa without any saved money there must be something wrong! A tourist visa is for a tourist visit, not for work or permanent stay! If you would like to stay permanent or work here, you'll need to meet requierments set by the government of Thailand. I can't understand what people find wrong with that! :D

If your case is that you travel in and out, and make your money outside Thailand, I can't see why you got upset, as you are a tourist and would not have any problems with your visas! :D

If you would like to stay here and work, and Carabao or anyone else would need you, I am quite confident that you could get a workpermit. However, I think there is already plenty of Thai nationals who know how to bang a drumm. :D

By the way, the very same goes for my profession (diving), when they don't need me, I will not get a workpermit more, and I am NOT bitter at that fact, as I am still only a guest after 16 years in Thailand! :D

regards,

Ban thale

I have travelled around the world over the years and always found that treating immigration officials with respect has been worthwhile. Yes, when I visit Poipet, I heave a sigh of relief when the process is complete, but I've never had any delays. However, once I went through with a new passport and as I had failed to get my last stamp in the old passport transferred to the new one, there was a quick visit to the office across the road to get that done. But no hassle, smiles all around and an expedient service. In short, I believe that if you have nothing amiss, and recognize their authority, then the process will be completed without delay.

Yesterday I returned to Thailand through Don Muang having spent 2 weeks in the UK. The immigration official examined my many (back to back) stamps through Poipet and Pedang Besar and then said 'but you have no visa'. I just said 'no sir.' My stomach turned over but he went a head and stamped the passport and I got 29 days.

In short, I think immigration are concerned about people coming in and out, and why not? Thailand has so far avoided major terrorist activity and it would be nice for it to stay that way. Their attention to detail is in our interests too. So my view is, be nice, keep the rules, dress like a desirable citizen .. and enjoy Thailand for as long as you want to.

[Long live Thailand!

Well Drummer, we all have to make choices sometimes, don't we? If you stay here for years on a tourist visa without any saved money there must be something wrong! A tourist visa is for a tourist visit, not for work or permanent stay! If you would like to stay permanent or work here, you'll need to meet requierments set by the government of Thailand. I can't understand what people find wrong with that! :D

If your case is that you travel in and out, and make your money outside Thailand, I can't see why you got upset, as you are a tourist and would not have any problems with your visas! :D

If you would like to stay here and work, and Carabao or anyone else would need you, I am quite confident that you could get a workpermit. However, I think there is already plenty of Thai nationals who know how to bang a drumm. :D

By the way, the very same goes for my profession (diving), when they don't need me, I will not get a workpermit more, and I am NOT bitter at that fact, as I am still only a guest after 16 years in Thailand! :D

regards,

Ban thale

Any idea how you might support the baby and the girlfriend, and some sort of a clue where you might live ?

[Long live Thailand!

Well Drummer, we all have to make choices sometimes, don't we? If you stay here for years on a tourist visa without any saved money there must be something wrong! A tourist visa is for a tourist visit, not for work or permanent stay! If you would like to stay permanent or work here, you'll need to meet requierments set by the government of Thailand. I can't understand what people find wrong with that! -_-

If your case is that you travel in and out, and make your money outside Thailand, I can't see why you got upset, as you are a tourist and would not have any problems with your visas! :wub:

By the way, the very same goes for my profession (diving), when they don't need me, I will not get a workpermit more, and I am NOT bitter at that fact, as I am still only a guest after 16 years in Thailand! :(

regards,

Ban thale

Any idea how you might support the baby and the girlfriend, and some sort of a clue where you might live ?

Dr.PP, you want an answer from me?! :D Okay, one way would be to get married and get a marriage visa, but that question could have many answers. :D Maybe the same way as a poor rise field worker in issan takes care of his wife and babys! :D

regards,

Ban thale

I have travelled around the world over the years and always found that treating immigration officials with respect has been worthwhile. Yes, when I visit Poipet, I heave a sigh of relief when the process is complete, but I've never had any delays. However, once I went through with a new passport and as I had failed to get my last stamp in the old passport transferred to the new one, there was a quick visit to the office across the road to get that done. But no hassle, smiles all around and an expedient service. In short, I believe that if you have nothing amiss, and recognize their authority, then the process will be completed without delay.

Yesterday I returned to Thailand through Don Muang having spent 2 weeks in the UK. The immigration official examined my many (back to back) stamps through Poipet and Pedang Besar and then said 'but you have no visa'. I just said 'no sir.' My stomach turned over but he went a head and stamped the passport and I got 29 days.

In short, I think immigration are concerned about people coming in and out, and why not? Thailand has so far avoided major terrorist activity and it would be nice for it to stay that way. Their attention to detail is in our interests too. So my view is, be nice, keep the rules, dress like a desirable citizen .. and enjoy Thailand for as long as you want to.

I have been doing 30 day visa runs out of thailand for 10 years. I have drawn one conclusion. It doesn't matter how you dress or how polite you are with imm. officials. The only 2 times I had problems were when I was dressed well and was polite. Most all of the time I am not polite with these people, wear shoddy clothes and am not clean shaven. I never ever had a hastle under those circumstances. I would say that an overwhelming # of posters emphacize the importance of this when I have found it to be of no importance.

VR

I have been doing 30 day visa runs out of thailand for 10 years. I have drawn one conclusion. It doesn't matter how you dress or how polite you are with imm. officials. The only 2 times I had problems were when I was dressed well and was polite. Most all of the time I am not polite with these people, wear shoddy clothes and am not clean shaven. I never ever had a hastle under those circumstances. I would say that an overwhelming # of posters emphacize the importance of this when I have found it to be of no importance.

VR

Here you are people. A classic example of the scum that cause you all the visa problems.

Please read your post - you must be a very SIMPLE-MINDED human being. :o

VR

i love the username and this being his first post, he earns the thaivisa kwai of the year award

Here you are people. A classic example of the scum that cause you all the visa problems.

Thanks Doc. It's exactly the type of person disrespecting and abusing the advantage and tolerance we have (had?) with these border runs.

I've been on visa runs for very long time also but despite the fact that some immigration officials were rude to me, I've always keeped cool. It has just happened a few times and usually I do not have any problems. I always dress normaly and I'm always polite; not any extras as I've sometimes seen like suit with tie but unshaven and not being patient!

When the immigration ask about me, what I'm doing....it would be stupid and useless to lie about what they probably already know. I just say to them that I'm teaching.

I also know some official and I'm teaching to the rich families' kids but I've never asked for any help even I know this fact covers me. After so many years and for some very particular reasons, I can't get one year visa.

As I live just few kilometers from the border, it takes me one hour a month to do the all process starting from my house and coming back into it. It would be a long trip for me to cross the all country, risk my life in the buses, be away from my family a week every three months, spend a quite big amount of money and I also could be denied the visa at the embassy and face problems at the border. Here, they know me.

Coming back from Bangkok last month, at the flying immigration checkpoint the officers went straight to check the farangs and looking at the numerous stamps on my very new passeport asked me if I was running any businesses. Same story without questioning at the military checkpoints that had never happen before.

About six months ago they photocopied most of the pages of my passeport exactly one year date to date but not the pages before. Three months ago, they asked me why I was going to the other side, I just answer "pai to visa" and the officer had a large smile. Two months ago; I was asked for my phone number. Last month, nothing. I'll let you know after the next trip.

Whatever, it is clear that I can't carry on like that anymore, stomack-ache every 30 days thinking about everything that could happen. It has longed for more than seven years and I feel that it is going to be ended by someone. Even we would love to stay here, I love Thai language as well and my son has been in Thai school for 3 years, it seems more and more that won't be possible for us to stay. So except the fact that a miracle is always possible, better whether it's me who end it soon.

We plan moving out of Thailand by the end of this year as my family may be granted travelling documents. That was not possible until these days and still remains complicated.

If you stay here for years on a tourist visa without any saved money there must be something wrong! A tourist visa is for a tourist visit, not for work or permanent stay! If you would like to stay permanent or work here, you'll need to meet requierments set by the government of Thailand. I can't understand what people find wrong with that!

Not so simple. Especially after being cheated and stolen by a farang and not receiving any external help to get out of the hole.

VR

i love the username and this being his first post, he earns the thaivisa kwai of the year award

The proctologist award of the decade. The dick would have to be a troll. Even a deadhead officer would have to bang him up on the teaching admission. That'd be crap if you look at the way it expresses itself and the way it spells

If your case is that you travel in and out, and make your money outside Thailand, I can't see why you got upset, as you are a tourist and would not have any problems with your visas! -_-

By the way, the very same goes for my profession (diving), when they don't need me, I will not get a workpermit more, and I am NOT bitter at that fact, as I am still only a guest after 16 years in Thailand! :)

regards,

Ban thale

Dr.PP, you want an answer from me?! :D Okay, one way would be to get married and get a marriage visa, but that question could have many answers. :D Maybe the same way as a poor rise field worker in issan takes care of his wife and babys! :D

regards,

Ban thale

My case is that I travel in and out right now because I can't make a living in Thailand because of the visa laws. This means I have to be away from my pregnant girlfriend. Not exactly ideal.

Look- I **cannot** get married without 400,000 THB in the bank. A marriage visa is out of the question. Even if it was an option, it would mean nothing for me except less frequest visa runs. I do not get to work in thailand with a marriage visa. In fact, it is *harder* for me to work, as I am given to understand that most ESL schools (my only option for gainful emploment in LoS) prefer non Imm 'B' visas, not marriage 'O' visas.

You seem to know very little on the subject. With exceedingly few to no exceptions, the only farangs who get work permits as musicians are working for hotels, and those gigs are sewn up tight. Even though I have friends from back in tha day in those gigs now. That is a pie in the sky option. Teaching drums is strictly forbidden. I could run a business whereby I had at least 4 employees who tought drums instead of me, though.

My beef is that I am a good person by every measure except money. And money is the ONLY criterion being used. (before anyone mentions education, you only need the education for the work permit- not anything else) Money, obviously, does not automatically provide the ability to spell or conjugate 'is' correctly :wub:

The laws are designed to look good on paper. They play on racism and misunderstanding and rely on an undereducated public. These apply to the US, too btw. I'm not slamming LoS, but I am saying that the rationale behind these laws most certainly has only a loose connection with the subject and intent of said laws. It ain't right and I don't like it. And I don't like being refferred to as a homeless beggar because I am not independently wealthy.

(to Dr. potpong... Yes, I do have plans in the works. I will have enough to live on for a while, and I can always teach english. I even have some related college courses and a teaching background (even if rather unrelated) that, I understand from adjarn.com and others, puts me ahead of meany current ESL teachers in LoS right now. I just won't be able to make $10K PLUS enough money to live on. I will be in BKK to start with, as I have a bunch of friends there and my g/f's sister lives there. I do know its a lot cheaper in the sticks. I got options- my beef is moral indignation more than the practicality of my immediate situation.

Thanks for your concern :( )

Living in Thailand is not a right, it is a priviledge. I may look like a bum but I got cash and make visa runs. There is no visa for penniless drummers that I know of. Perhaps you should go back to Venice Beach CA and work for tips on the boardwalk for a while to raise sufficient cash. I have some connections there if you need a motor home to sleep under right on the beach.

VR

Living in Thailand is not a right, it is a priviledge. I may look like a bum but I got cash and make visa runs. There is no visa for penniless drummers that I know of. Perhaps you should go back to Venice Beach CA and work for tips on the boardwalk for a while to raise sufficient cash. I have some connections there if you need a motor home to sleep under right on the beach.

VR

Apparently, you didn't read my post. I am not disputing LoS's right to do whatever it wants. I am, however, under no obligation to like it or agree with it. I should comply, however, and be nice, polite - maybe even not look liike a bum, as personal appearance is highly valued in LoS. But I don't have to agree. I am not automatically PM Thaksin's marionette in thought and deed, simply because I am in his country.

My beef is with using money as a judge of character. I actually went to school with a couple of members of the Thai royal family. I am writing a book that will be sold in every Target, Costco and Walmart in the US. I have options. They have nothing to do with my parents. I just don't like being called good for nothing just because I value what I do over what I make.

I am rather certain you personally have called a few people a few not so nice words for *not* making that decision. I'm not saying anything along those lines, or making judgements about other people. But you want to, please, at least give them the benefit of reading what they have to say.

If you have anything useful to say, other than "go home, hippie" I would be happy to enter into a discussion. If you want to make any more ad hominem attacks, I suggest you keep them to yourself. At very least, make them apropos.

I may look like a bum but I got cash

My point exactly. Money is not everything. At least, it shouldn't be :o BTW... I do know I am waxing idealistic. But the visa laws, which hold 'being rather well off' as the sole requirement of being wanted, are not really useful. They fail on both keeping out moral slimebags and at maximizing the country's GDP. What they do do, however, is score points with the people for *sounding* like a good idea.

Unfortunately (for you Drummer), the Thai authorities do place emphasis on your financial standing, (amongst other factors), when it comes down to visas, work-permits etc. The sums involved are not too high, but apparently above your means. So no level of moaning and complaining about the system is going to change the system :o The only thing that can realistically change is you.

Good luck!

I may look like a bum but I got cash

My point exactly. Money is not everything. At least, it shouldn't be :o BTW... I do know I am waxing idealistic. But the visa laws, which hold 'being rather well off' as the sole requirement of being wanted, are not really useful. They fail on both keeping out moral slimebags and at maximizing the country's GDP. What they do do, however, is score points with the people for *sounding* like a good idea.

laws are laws and there ain't nothing we foreigners can do about it. It's only money that counts in Thailand, no money, no honey, no visa....

Dutchy

Thailand doesn't need any homeless beggers, there is plenty of people to feed here already. :angry:

If your case is that you travel in and out, and make your money outside Thailand, I can't see why you got upset, as you are a tourist and would not have any problems with your visas! :)

If you would like to stay here and work, and Carabao or anyone else would need you, I am quite confident that you could get a workpermit. However, I think there is already plenty of Thai nationals who know how to bang a drumm. ;)

regards,

Ban thale

Dr.PP, you want an answer from me?! :huh: Okay, one way would be to get married and get a marriage visa, but that question could have many answers. ;) Maybe the same way as a poor rise field worker in issan takes care of his wife and babys! ;)

regards,

Ban thale

My case is that I travel in and out right now because I can't make a living in Thailand because of the visa laws. This means I have to be away from my pregnant girlfriend. Not exactly ideal.

Look- I **cannot** get married without 400,000 THB in the bank. A marriage visa is out of the question. Even if it was an option, it would mean nothing for me except less frequest visa runs. I do not get to work in thailand with a marriage visa. In fact, it is *harder* for me to work, as I am given to understand that most ESL schools (my only option for gainful emploment in LoS) prefer non Imm 'B' visas, not marriage 'O' visas.

You seem to know very little on the subject. With exceedingly few to no exceptions, the only farangs who get work permits as musicians are working for hotels, and those gigs are sewn up tight. Even though I have friends from back in tha day in those gigs now. That is a pie in the sky option. Teaching drums is strictly forbidden. I could run a business whereby I had at least 4 employees who tought drums instead of me, though.

My beef is that I am a good person by every measure except money. And money is the ONLY criterion being used. (before anyone mentions education, you only need the education for the work permit- not anything else) Money, obviously, does not automatically provide the ability to spell or conjugate 'is' correctly ;)

The laws are designed to look good on paper. They play on racism and misunderstanding and rely on an undereducated public. These apply to the US, too btw. I'm not slamming LoS, but I am saying that the rationale behind these laws most certainly has only a loose connection with the subject and intent of said laws. It ain't right and I don't like it. And I don't like being refferred to as a homeless beggar because I am not independently wealthy.

(to Dr. potpong... Yes, I do have plans in the works. I will have enough to live on for a while, and I can always teach english. I even have some related college courses and a teaching background (even if rather unrelated) that, I understand from adjarn.com and others, puts me ahead of meany current ESL teachers in LoS right now. I just won't be able to make $10K PLUS enough money to live on. I will be in BKK to start with, as I have a bunch of friends there and my g/f's sister lives there. I do know its a lot cheaper in the sticks. I got options- my beef is moral indignation more than the practicality of my immediate situation.

Thanks for your concern :) )

Thailand doesn't need any homeless beggers, there is plenty of people to feed here already. :angry:

If your case is that you travel in and out, and make your money outside Thailand, I can't see why you got upset, as you are a tourist and would not have any problems with your visas! :)

If you would like to stay here and work, and Carabao or anyone else would need you, I am quite confident that you could get a workpermit. However, I think there is already plenty of Thai nationals who know how to bang a drumm. ;)

regards,

Ban thale

Dr.PP, you want an answer from me?! :huh: Okay, one way would be to get married and get a marriage visa, but that question could have many answers. ;) Maybe the same way as a poor rise field worker in issan takes care of his wife and babys! ;)

regards,

Ban thale

My beef is that I am a good person by every measure except money. And money is the ONLY criterion being used. (before anyone mentions education, you only need the education for the work permit- not anything else) Money, obviously, does not automatically provide the ability to spell or conjugate 'is' correctly ;)

Thanks for your concern :) )

[

Drummer, I truly apologize if I offended you in person somehow, it was not my meaning at all :)

Yes, and my case is that I try to make a living here in Thailand , (legally) ,with my 3 children and wife, not exactly ideal eather, with competition from all diffrent illigal immigrants that refuse to get a workpermit and pay tax! :huh:

Look, I can't help you with this, you should contact Sunbelt for exampel, they can maybe help you out! :)

oYou seem to know very little on the subject. With exceedingly few to no exceptions, the only farangs who get work permits as musicians are working for hotels, and those gigs are sewn up tight. Even though I have friends from back in tha day in those gigs now. That is a pie in the sky option. Teaching drums is strictly frbidden. I could run a business whereby I had at least 4 employees who tought drums instead of me, though.
yes, maybe I don't know much, but I understand that the Thai government wants to see that people have enough cash to stay here if they do not intend to work here! I do not say that good people have money, and bad people are poor, I just say that as Thailand don't want illigal workers they have to make sure that you have enough to support youself!! ;)

If you mean me with spelling misstakes, yes, I am not American or English, and it is a kind of hard for me to control the 6 different languishes I use, byt I supose thats nothing for a well educated drummer and languish teacher like your self? And NO, money is NOT the only criteria for a workpermit or work in Thailand, but spelling English correctly may not be enough! B)

regards,

Ban thale

We plan moving out of Thailand by the end of this year as my family may be granted travelling documents. That was not possible until these days and still remains complicated.
If you stay here for years on a tourist visa without any saved money there must be something wrong! A tourist visa is for a tourist visit, not for work or permanent stay! If you would like to stay permanent or work here, you'll need to meet requierments set by the government of Thailand. I can't understand what people find wrong with that!

Not so simple. Especially after being cheated and stolen by a farang and not receiving any external help to get out of the hole.

Where do you plan to go to?

The tourist visa problem is unique to Thailand, it's by no means a tourist visa anymore with people being married to a Thai national and doing monthly visa trips.

It seems that more and more people are moving out of Thailand for various reasons now. If every country would apply Thai immigration laws a worlwide ban on marriages might well be more efficient as it would save people a lot of headaches from moving across borders.

can people learn how to use the quote function, it is not that hard.

Pi Sua, good luck with with it all. Sounds like you are dealing against the Thai bureacrats who have it against many of the people in your area, all the very best and I hope it works out.

Here we go again. Its the same scare mongering over and over again. The same posters spreading the same false rumours based once again on bad information. Still speculating a year later after APEC about the imminent demise of the 30 day visa on arrival. How we need to make sure we carry a change of underwear with us whenever we cross the border to Cambodia.

Gosh, by the way, whatever happen to that so-called "reliable inside information" that the 30 day visa on arrival would soon be a thing of the past. Have to admit the posters now seem a little less sure of themselves though no more credible than in the past. They must now resort to third party rumours about friends of friends who are having problems. If anybody is reading this thread for the first time and is actually worried, look back in the archives about a year ago you'll see these guys making the same claims. Taking the same moral high road. I wonder what interest they might possibly have in perpetuating false information. After a while, people stop listening to the caretaker who keeps crying wolf and offers at the same time to take care of that big bad wolf that amazingly only he can see. These same guys probably bought the ELITE VIP card early to make sure they got that great land buying privilege that came with it. Gee I wonder if you can still get a refund of your 1 million baht investment?

As I live just few kilometers from the border, it takes me one hour a month to do the all process starting from my house and coming back into it. It would be a long trip for me to cross the all country, risk my life in the buses, be away from my family a week every three months, spend a quite big amount of money and I also could be denied the visa at the embassy and face problems at the border. Here, they know me.

This is the only time when I think it is acceptable to rely on 30 days visa runs. As for myself I live fairly close to the border in Surin and I have relyed on these kind of visa runs for more than 1 year. I had 8 such stamps in my old passport and 5 in my new. Never was there any questions asked. As I always gave them my address in Sisaket they probably understood why I had chosen to come to the border every month. It is so easy and comfortable compared to a trip to Penang, it is as simple as that. But, for the folks living in for example Bangkok and Pattaya it is a little bit too far to the border and they should at least get a tourist visa.

Now I listened to all these people on this forum that there would be a crackdown on all people who are doing back to back 30 days visa runs, so I for myself went to Penang to get a non imm. multiple. It takes many days, it is very far from where I live (though I travelled by air so it just took 1½ hour), but there are also trips to different airports, tickets, fees, taxes, taxi, hotel, visa fee for non imm (it is really expensive nowadays, 5000 baht)...

And all these rumours seemed to be just.... rumours.

When my non. imm. visa expires in 15 months I will probably not get a new one. It is just not worth it if you live close to a border.

Regards,

Mike

In fact, it is *harder* for me to work, as I am given to understand that most ESL schools (my only option for gainful emploment in LoS) prefer non Imm 'B' visas, not marriage 'O' visas.

Not really true. We have a couple of guys working here on Os. Its just that for most people they are not married to a Thai or were on a B and then married.

As long as you have proper documentation to get a WP you can be on either.

In fact, it is *harder* for me to work,  as I am given to understand that most ESL schools (my only option for gainful emploment in LoS) prefer non Imm 'B' visas, not marriage 'O' visas.

Not really true. We have a couple of guys working here on Os. Its just that for most people they are not married to a Thai or were on a B and then married.

As long as you have proper documentation to get a WP you can be on either.

It is just as possible to get a WP with an 'O' , but I've just read in several places that employers generally prefer the 'B' visas for some reason.

yes, maybe I don't know much, but I understand that the Thai government wants to see that people have enough cash to stay here if they do not intend to work here! I do not say that good people have money, and bad people are poor, I just say that as Thailand don't want illigal workers they have to make sure that you have enough to support youself!! :D

My beef is that I am a good person by every measure except money. And money is the ONLY criterion being used. (before anyone mentions education, you only need the education for the work permit- not anything else) Money, obviously, does not automatically provide the ability to spell or conjugate 'is' correctly :D

If you mean me with spelling misstakes, yes, I am not American or English, and it is a kind of hard for me to control the 6 different languishes I use, byt I supose thats nothing for a well educated drummer and languish teacher like your self? And NO, money is NOT the only criteria for a workpermit or work in Thailand, but spelling English correctly may not be enough! :D

regards,

Ban thale

They also want to make sure you have enough to support yourself if you want to get a work permit at all. You need 400,000 THB in a Thai bank to get any sort of WP, although they are overlooking this for ESL teachers.

Since English is your 6th language, I won't hold you not noticing that I wasn't actually talking about WPs. In fact, I used it as the exception that proved the rule. Kudos, btw. You speak english very well. I take back every bad thing I ever said about you or your mother :D

I understand that the *stated* rationale for the law is preventing illegal workers.

However, actions speak louder than words, especially from a government official. The realities of the visa laws have very little effect on illegal working. They are still allowing back to back tourist visas. The 400,000 THB law does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to curb illegal working when anyone can stay w/o the cash.

What the law is designed to do is to

(a) try to make the farang population more invested in LoS. (This is probably at least partly due to the West's ignoring Thailand during the Asian stock market crash in the 90's.) If the farangs *have* to invest, they will find it in their best interest to keep LoS solvent, even in little ways.

(:wub: This also makes more capital flow into LoS. This is why it has to be transferred from abroad.

© For political capital. It plays on racism and fear (kick the farangs out) and an relies on an undereducated public not to see that those laws are not in their own selfish best interest and that the stated reasons have nothing to do with the what the law does.

Thus, illegal workers have nothing to do with it.

The ONLY way it serves to decrease illegal working is to keep people from entering the country in the first place- and this, from the looks of the message boards, is as many or more legal workers than anything else. The exodus is more because of the feeling of Damocles' Sword hanging over their heads than the actual laws at this point. The good for nothing tourist that they want to get rid of will still come in. The motivated workers who do enough research into LoS to know about the laws will get scared off, even if they have the dough.

This law negatively impacts the stated reason. You will see more illegal working because it is just as easy to stay in LoS, but harder to get a legal visa. I am quite certain that there are many guys who are less concerned with staying legal than I am. For them, working illegally is the best choice, for their best interest. They don't even have to pay taxes!

As for my personal situation, I am not griping. I am a big boy and I can handle myself. I do *not* like being called a homeless beggar. You *do* use that as a judge of character- mine among others.