Mae Sot

possom

possibly heading that way next week for visa . any info on bus from morchit , price timings ,how long etc , getting to the border straightforward or a hassle ?? 1 day pass for myanmar - how much ?? any and all info welcome . thanks in advance possom :o

I've done loads of visa runs in the past to Mae Sot, the last about six months ago.

It was 500 bht to get into Burma, you can only go as far as the local market there, I've never been, and most people say there is not much there.

On the Thai side there is a market, with some good furniture, and loads of trinkity stuff, quite cheap. Beware of buying cigaretts offered on the thai side or in burma, they are usually fake (well known brand packaging) same with most other stuff, the packet is genuine the contents usually are'nt.

Anyway, get to the freindship bridge, go to the imagration post stamp out of thailand, then you can walk across not far 5 min or wait for the song trew, about 5 min as well !!

When you get to the burma side you will see the imagration hut, just go in, you dont need to stand at the window, they will ask you if you want to go to the town, most people just get the stamp and walk straight back. Fill the form out pay your 500 bht and done, used to take me about 20 min inc walking. I've never needed a photo, but they may ask you for one.

There are a few hotels there The Central MaeSot Hills is the most upmarket and close to the bridge, about 1000bht a night, the bridge is a few km out of town though, there is an airport as well.

These were advertising tickets for about 2000bht return

http://www.thai-tour.com/airticket/air/

Mae Sot is about 80 km from Tak, and the road is like a roller coaster, great scenary, but I dont know if I'd want to do it on a bus.

As for getting there from BKK, sorry cant help you much, I've always driven up from Nakorn Sawan, but I would of thought you'd head for Tak and then change busses, a night in Tak sounds like a good idea. Tak is probably about 6-7 hrs by bus fron BKK mabye more with stops, add about 1.5-2 hrs bus to Mae Sot.