Retirement Income Letter

For an earlier poster's benefit

As far as I know one doesn't need an embassy letter at all. Proof of income is enough. The British Embassy charges British type fees which without being mean would be better off in one's pocket (or in a girlfriend's pocket, silly me) than out of it. The time to go the consulate is if there is any lack of clarity.

Edited by sleepyjohn

• 2 weeks later...

Pattaya has reported that the letter would need a certification by the MFA (from October 1 2007) but would be valid the following years....(no limit was mentionned but Isuspect that if the passport number or adresschanges, you will need a new one)

Reported at the Pattaya City Ex Pats club this morning by Barry Kenyon The Hon British Consul that the above ruling has been recinded after many complaints from numerous embassy's on the extra work it created for them.

For an earlier poster's benefit

As far as I know one doesn't need an embassy letter at all. Proof of income is enough. The British Embassy charges British type fees which without being mean would be better off in one's pocket (or in a girlfriend's pocket, silly me) than out of it. The time to go the consulate is if there is any lack of clarity.

When retirement is based on a pension from the home country then a letter from the British Embassy IS required, I had my Government Pension Letter notarized by both a UK public notary AND the Thai Embassy in Hull but it was rejected at Pattaya Immigration and I was directed to Barry Kenyon to obtain a letter from the British Embassy confirming my income, this was last year. This year I had a new passport issued the day before renewing my visa and Pattaya Immigration accepted last year's embassy letter but warned me that I would need a new letter next year showing my new passport number.

I presume (although I do not know) that this rules apply's to all foreign nationals on pension based retirement income.