Excess Baggage

fanciman

well thats what i do when u hv alor of baggage.. I try to be the first one, um must say that actually works good for me, is just cuz the plain is not that heavy, they hv more consideration on u.

try to go to a girl if u are a guy, in my case, I go to guys. hehehe

:o

That's good advice.

In addition, consider taking the risk to mention apologetically that you think you may be just a little overweight and you hope it will be OK and smile pleadingly.

Don't forget the old trick, if you've got several bags, of placing them firmly in contact with the fixed side walls of the weighing place (jam them in if possible). This often takes quite a few kilos off the load which is sensed by the weighing platform below. Most check-ins are configured so that you can do this.

Have to admire Air Asia that paragon of service (?)...........charged me an overweight charge for a wheel chair. Now that is sticking to the rules that must warm the cockles of the hearts of shareholders.

When the airline industry was powered by props it may have made sense to watch every kilo. But when aircraft such as a 747 is certified for 1 million pounds at take off it hardly makes sense to pretend you provide a service and gouge your clients for few kilos overcharge (which doubled the price of the ticket from CNX to BKK)---and that for a wheel chair??? True, they are not flying 747 craft but they do demonstrate what their singular motive is with their inflexiblity.

The airlines have definitely become sticklers on this baggage weight limit in the last few years. Even though I am retired from the airlines and fly for virtually free, airlines even including my own airline now nail me for the excess baggage charge if I am overweight. Sometimes if I hit a nice agent they have given me a few lbs. leeway. I now try to put all really heavy things in my carry on to reduce my checked baggage weight. There usually is around a 40 lb. limit listed for your carry on but since no one weighs it most passenger ignore the limit.

Depending on how overweight you are:

Airlines usually allow up to 25kg for an econmy pax with an allowance of 20kg.

You could send your excess as unaccompanied baggage. You would probably only have to pay around 50% of the standard cargo rate.

May be worth calling a few shipping agents in your home country to see if any of them can do you a reasonable price.

One can only assume you already have frequent flyer membership and flying on an airline that gives you an additional 10 kilos allowance with that membership.

What airline does that ?

I'm unaware of any airline that gives an extra baggage allowance simply by being a member of their frequent flier program (although some may exist). Such extra baggage allowances are usually a benefit of being in an elite tier of a frequent flier program. For example, by being a platinum elite member of Northwest's WorldPerks (SkyTeam), I receive an extra 20 kg allowance on all KLM flights.

Silver member recieved 10 extra kilo on Thai Air some years ago anyway

Still does, but the benefit does not extend to other Star Alliance partners, i.e. Royal Orchid Silver members do not receive an extra 10 kg allowance when flying on say, Swiss.

Depending on how overweight you are:

Airlines usually allow up to 25kg for an econmy pax with an allowance of 20kg.

True, but once you go over that they sure know how to charge. 7kg over (32kg weight) on a flight from KL to LHR recently cost me an extra 33% of the one way fare. :o And I was very early at check in.

I don't know about the absolute limit but once you are 30kg + they often add a "HEAVY" tag to your baggage and you may have to take it to a separate baggage handling slot.

Call the airline well ahead, many will have facilities for your excess to go as freight, often on the same flight and at considerably reduced rates over the excess baggage charge (we had 300kg freighted on Royal Jordanian LHR-BKK for under 200 quid, was 3 years back though). You will probably have to deliver the freight to a cargo handler at your end and pick it up from the cargo terminal at BKK (could be customs issues there).

Alternatively many airports have branches of an excess baggage company (the one I remember is The Excess Baggage Company) who will do the freight handling for you, a visit to the Yellow Pages and Google may help :o

I try to fly Business Class when possible, and you get a few extra kilos allowance for that (but you pay for it with the extra cost of the ticket).

In Nov '04, I was bringing a bunch of stuff from Canada to take to the 'stan with me. I checked in at the China Air counter in Vancouver. Had 56 kilos of stuff and an economy class ticket. I was the first person checking in, and didn't get charged a cent for the extra weight (all the way to Bangkok). On the Taiwan - Bangkok portion of the trip, I even got upgraded to First Class !

How ever, on the Bangkok - Dubai flight (with Thai Air), they charged me for 36 kilos overweight, at 400 baht/kilo (14,400 baht !!).

I did get a laugh in Dubai though, as the Ariana Afghan airlines clerk screwed up a bit, and told me the same bag only weighed 26 kilos, and I'd have to pay $30 US for the extra 6 kilos. I scrambled to pay as fast as I could before she caught her mistake.

Air Canada will make you repack your bags right at the check-in counter, if any of them exceed a certain weight. Union rules of course. Baggage handlers can't move a bag if it's 3-4 kilos over the limit. That would be cause for a strike. I had to stuff a bunch of socks and underwear into my carry-on to get my suitcase under the limit, or they wouldn't take it at all !

One can only assume you already have frequent flyer membership and flying on an airline that gives you an additional 10 kilos allowance with that membership.

What airline does that ?

Although it's getting harder to find, some airline frequent flyer programs still offer it on signup. Most FFP's offer increased baggage allowance after you've qualified for the next tier.

It's also worth checking with the airline if they have any special baggage allowances. It's not advertised but some airlines from the Middle East have free increased baggage allowances (route dependent) for passengers travelling East to SE Asia. Saudair was one of these airlines although I haven't used them for a while.

Here's a couple that offer additional baggage allowance on signup.

Gulf Air

FFP Blue

Activity - none - This is the entry level of the programme.

10 kgs extra baggage allowance on flights with Gulf Air, Gulf Traveller or Oman Air.

Oman Air Sindbad

FFP Green

Sindbad Green is the entry level of membership. You earn this level of membership automatically when you enroll in Sindbad.

You are guaranteed an excess baggage allowance of 10kgs as a Green member.

What airline does that ?

Although it's getting harder to find, some airline frequent flyer programs still offer it on signup. Most FFP's offer increased baggage allowance after you've qualified for the next tier.

It's also worth checking with the airline if they have any special baggage allowances. It's not advertised but some airlines from the Middle East have free increased baggage allowances (route dependent) for passengers travelling East to SE Asia. Saudair was one of these airlines although I haven't used them for a while.

Here's a couple that offer additional baggage allowance on signup.

Gulf Air

FFP Blue

Activity - none - This is the entry level of the programme.

10 kgs extra baggage allowance on flights with Gulf Air, Gulf Traveller or Oman Air.

Oman Air Sindbad

FFP Green

Sindbad Green is the entry level of membership. You earn this level of membership automatically when you enroll in Sindbad.

You are guaranteed an excess baggage allowance of 10kgs as a Green member.

Qatar airlines also, I think you have to have recieved your membership card first though

From memory its 15 kgs extra?