Excess Baggage

fanciman

I think i will be overweight on an international flight.

Is there anything i can do to make them have pity? I need it :o

Get there early? Would that catch them in a good mood?

Join the frequent flyer programme with the airline your flying with, im with Gulf Air they give 32kg just for joining and it goes up from there the more you fly. Most of the schemes you can join straight away and they give you a temporary card there and then.

Last time I flew out of BKK to Dubai with Emirates (great airline BTW !) I was over the limit by quite a bit. I was sure it was way overweight and the fact that I had an extra bag (cabin) wasn't looking to good for me.

I was one of the very last to get through check-in and the queue was held up by a group of BLAZING drunk Germans who couldn't find their passports. Next was a hippie who spent over 10 minutes to check in a mangy mountain bike with bald tires, and then me with my bulging suitcase and extra bag :o

The Thai man behind the desk looked like he was ready to kill somebody, anybody probably and barked "bags too heavy" at me immediately. Just as I thought I was screwed I apologized and beamed my biggest smile. He just said he would let me off this time.

I was just lucky I suppose, especially since I was moving back to the UK with three years worth of accumulated belongings and really couldn't afford to lose any of it, nor did I have the extortionate extra weight fee.