Demonstrations continue in Bangkok

Jai Dee

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I found surprising was that they dedicated a long feature on the demo on TITV last night, 15th.

rych

What i find surprising that there is hardly any mention of yesterday's demonstration at Sanam Luang in the English language papers here apart from the brief nation article posted by Mid. At night there were several 10 000 protesters, the size of attendance was definitely comparable to the larger PAD events.

Whatever side one may support besides, but shouldn't such a huge event have more coverage?

:o

What i find surprising that there is hardly any mention of yesterday's demonstration at Sanam Luang in the English language papers here apart from the brief nation article posted by Mid

concur ,

and I've been actively searching for more , domestic and international .................................

OK , some reports comming through .....................

Protest against Thai charter vote

16-Aug-07

MEMBERS of Thailand's former ruling party put on a show of force yesterday by attracting at least 10,000 people to a central Bangkok plaza to protest against the proposed post-coup constitution.

snip

bruneitimes.com.

Ten-Thousand Thais Rally Against Junta-Sponsored Charter

August 15, 2007 7:44 p.m. EST

Windsor Genova - AHN Writer

Bangkok, Thailand (AHN) - About 10,000 supporters of Thailand's ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, including members of the former ruling party, staged a rally in the capital Bangkok urging citizens not to vote for a new constitution in Sunday's referendum, the AFP reported on Thursday.

snip

allheadlinenews.com

Ex-Thaksin MP bloc opposes proposed constitution

Thursday 16 August 2007 01:16:18 PM (GMT+7:00)

BANGKOK, Aug 15 (TNA) – Thai Rak Thai group key member Chaturon Chaisaeng has expressed his resolute objection to a newly drafted Constitution for which the Surayud government and the Council for National Security (CNS) were pushing through a referendum scheduled for this Sunday.

snip

etna.mcot.net

Soldiers threaten charter critics, rally told

SURASAK GLAHAN

Men in uniform have threatened people in some provinces in a bid to stop them campaigning against the draft constitution, key former MPs of the now-defunct Thai Rak Thai party told a rally that attracted 10,000 people yesterday. Former acting leader of the party Chaturon Chaisaeng told supporters at the Sanam Luang rally of the case of Pol Lt-Col Wipoj Arponrat, whom he said had been detained by soldiers and police in Kamphaeng Phet after he started to campaign against the draft charter.

snip

The Post Publishing Public Co

At night there were several 10 000 protesters, the size of attendance was definitely comparable to the larger PAD events.

So can one presume it was 10,000 and not "several" 10,000 and thus fell far short of the "larger PAD events" ?

but anyway... moving on,

Perhaps one reason it didn't attract too much attention can be found in the last article quoted in it's quote of one of the attendees to the TRT rally to protest against the approval of the constitutional referendum:

Bualoy Bohinluek, a 49-year-old construction worker, said he would not go back home to Sakon Nakhon to vote in the referendum. He had not read the constitution because he disliked the fact that it was made by the coup makers, he said.

It's difficult to consider the seriousness of a rally when a typical rally goer isn't even familiar with what he is rallying against.

That BP article, btw, has been available since early this morning.

Edited by sriracha john

sriracha john

It's difficult to consider the seriousness of a rally when a typical rally goer isn't even familiar with what he is rallying against.

I suspect that will come back to haunt you ......................................

We are moving away from a time of rallies to a time of elections which means get your influential ones out, get your cash out give a million reasons and lies why to vote for or against something or someone and use a myriad of scare tactics. The important thing is just to win. That is what we see now.

Rallies well there was one in Bangkok and one in Chaing Mai but that is not the center of how things work in a Thai election. Nice bit of window dressing by both sides however.

So can one presume it was 10,000 and not "several" 10,000 and thus fell far short of the "larger PAD events" ?

You presume a lot about something you haven't even seen.

The Nation reported the number of 10 000, reported at the late afternoon, and most likely this number was copied by others as well, without taking into consideration that by nightfall Sanam Luang was packed with people in very comparable numbers as the larger PAD events. This guess was made easy because of the similar positioning of the TRT stage to where the PAD stage was set up.

What also was not reported is that the government set up a small stage at the other end of Sanam Luang, in favour of the new constitution. This event was attended by less than 100 supporters. I wonder though why this stage was set up, risking clashes between the opposing sides.

The Nation reported the number of 10 000, reported at the late afternoon, and most likely this number was copied by others as well, without taking into consideration that by nightfall Sanam Luang was packed with people in very comparable numbers as the larger PAD events. This guess was made easy because of the similar positioning of the TRT stage to where the PAD stage was set up.

I didn't presume "a lot", only that the 3 quoted articles (from Brunei Times, AHN, and BP) were accurate. If you're aware of articles quoting different figures to corroborate what you are saying, particularly any that assess the figure to be in multitudes of what everyone else is reporting, I'd be happy to read them.

I think to presume that every news organization, including their competitor Bangkok Post, is getting numbers from the Nation is a bit of a stretch.

Edited by sriracha john

I didn't presume "a lot", only that the 3 quoted articles (from Brunei Times, AHN, and BP) were accurate. If you're aware of articles quoting different figures to corroborate what you are saying, particularly any that assess the figure to be in multitudes of what everyone else is reporting, I'd be happy to read them.

I think to presume that every news organization, including their competitor Bangkok Post, is getting numbers from the Nation is a bit of a stretch.

You do presume a lot about the media as well, and how it works.

Fact is, that compared to the PAD demonstrations the present protests are under-reported, in the foreign media a combined factor for lack of interest and incompetence of the protest organizers how to deal with the foreign media (issues such as a lack of proper announcements in English to the relevant organisations, etc), and in the local media due to censorship by the army.

Therefore i would suggest to go to the events yourself, and have a look personally. Given your amount of posts here on the issue, you seem to be rather interested. So, i wonder how many times you actually went and had a personal look at the present protests (and also the previous protests of the PAD).

You do presume a lot about the media as well, and how it works.

Fact is, that compared to the PAD demonstrations the present protests are under-reported, in the foreign media a combined factor for lack of interest and incompetence of the protest organizers how to deal with the foreign media (issues such as a lack of proper announcements in English to the relevant organisations, etc), and in the local media due to censorship by the army.

oh ok, thanks... If you do run across something that corroborates, please let us know.

oh ok, thanks... If you do run across something that corroborates, please let us know.

Given the lackluster reporting i have doubts that i will be able to.

But then, who knows, in a few days i might do so, as i have been able for previous events in which you doubted the numbers i have presented.

Large Sanam Luang photo was the Nation's front page, side by side with Surayud at Chiang Mai's rally. It creates a strong visual impression comparing to internet articles.

If it the same photo as it was on their website - then you can see that the Sanam Luang photo was taken during daylight hours, when protesters started arriving.

At night Sanam Luang was packed - from the Rajadamnern end to the road in the middle. Sanam Luang takes about 100 000 people. Half of Sanam Luang packed - do your own maths.

Apparently the DAAD will be dropping their trousers at Democracy Monument to show their disgust with the government. They were ordered to drop their underwear too, but refused thankfully, though one can expect one or two zealous followers to follow orders to the word, hopefully Mr Weera is not included in that group.

I trust Dr Weng is on hand to administer first-aid in the event of any pile-ups.(sic)

It's good to see the DAAD realise they make more sense through their rear ends than their frontal lobes.

30045298-01.jpg

Anti-coup activists show their behinds in mockery at the Democracy Monument to protest against the Sunday referendum. The message reads “Reject the Constitution Draft”. // Sakol Sandhiratne

nationmultimedia.com

Apparently the DAAD will be dropping their trousers at Democracy Monument to show their disgust with the government. They were ordered to drop their underwear too, but refused thankfully, though one can expect one or two zealous followers to follow orders to the word, hopefully Mr Weera is not included in that group.

I trust Dr Weng is on hand to administer first-aid in the event of any pile-ups.(sic)

It's good to see the DAAD realise they make more sense through their rear ends than their frontal lobes.

According to my latest information tomorrow might even be more outrageous. :o

It appears that they start learning from the PAD masters of media manipulation - logical speeches with information won't attract anyone, but outrageous stunts do.

Edited by ColPyat

30045298-01.jpg

It's a real shame they didn't have fellow TRT'er Suriya and his bleeding rectum as part of the group...

His red underwear could match his red shirt...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1280294

Voluntary nudity in public, as a form of protest, is as ancient as Jesus' commands in Matthew 5 and Luke 6, to take off both your outer and inner garment. Historically it's been done often, especially by women, to shame their oppressors. Multiple volumes have been written by Professor Gene Sharp, on methods of nonviolent protest.

Large Sanam Luang photo was the Nation's front page, side by side with Surayud at Chiang Mai's rally. It creates a strong visual impression comparing to internet articles.

If it the same photo as it was on their website - then you can see that the Sanam Luang photo was taken during daylight hours, when protesters started arriving.

At night Sanam Luang was packed - from the Rajadamnern end to the road in the middle. Sanam Luang takes about 100 000 people. Half of Sanam Luang packed - do your own maths.

Find anything to corroborate that yet?

An additional article to the ones already cited again pegs the TRT rally attendance at 10,000.

Australian Broadcasting Corporation: http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/news/stories/s2006298.htm

10,000 people

- ABC

If this is a world-wide media conspiracy to suppress figures, it seems remarkably consistent.

Voluntary nudity in public, as a form of protest, is as ancient as Jesus' commands in Matthew 5 and Luke 6, to take off both your outer and inner garment. Historically it's been done often, especially by women, to shame their oppressors. Multiple volumes have been written by Professor Gene Sharp, on methods of nonviolent protest.

... perhaps that foxy-looking vixen Sudarat will decide to go all nud_e soon during a rally jog around Lumpini Park.

:o

If this is a world-wide media conspiracy to suppress figures, it seems remarkably consistent.

En contraire, it simply is an international lethargy towards political affairs in Thailand. Internationally, Thai anti-coup protests are a non event, and therefore not much effort is made to verify something nobody is interested in.

You are expecting a bit much from the media business. It may come as shock to you, but presently most international news dealing with Thailand are made the same way threads in this forum are made - one source reports a certain number, and everybody simply follows that one reported number. Rarely that number is corroborated with different sources, such as police, and other independent observers.

That is why i would suggest anyone who is interested in current Thai politics to have a look yourself. Don't just take for granted what is reported in the media. This should be self explanatory and common sense.

I had a look myself, and i can only state again what i have stated already - half of Sanam Luang was packed, and that means that it was somewhere around 40 000 to 50 000 people.

I would also suggest you to read between the lines at the Nation report. It stated rather clearly that "more than 10 000" protesters gathered, suggesting that it was, well, the number given and a bit more. But, it can mean anything above the stated number. So, technically, the Nation did not falsify the number.

Personally, i have the impression that hard news and facts here are by some posters very selectively taken, more according to their own personal opinions and convictions than according to what really happened.

So, please, unless you have been there personally, dear SRJ, please just stop this little game of showing how many articles support a number you have personally not seen. I am not saying either that you should take for granted what i post here, but at least be open minded enough to accept that i do not post anything because i have a hidden agenda, but because i state what i feel is the truth, and additional information that should be registered and thought about. And not outright rejected because you don't like me or my views.

I'm not trying to support any number. I have no number. I'm just trying to get an accurate idea and all the media are consistently saying one thing and you alone say something else. The difference not being small, but quite significant.

If the entire international media is as lethargic and incompetent, as you called it earlier, and all the local media is as fearful of truthful reporting as you say it is, then it's pointless to even bother having a news clipping forum and we should just sit and discuss our own unverifiable observations in a general forum.

I'm not rejecting what you are saying outright, I'm just saying that it runs so significantly contrary to what is written by every media representative that were verifiably there, eg. as evidenced by various media photos.

You mentioned on another thread that they have these "invented thingys" called email and telephones. They also have these "invented thingys" called digital cameras and phone cameras. As these rally number contentions seem to be a reoccurring issue, perhaps the next time you're out there, you could utilize one of them. Just a thought, anyway.

I'm not trying to support any number. I have no number. I'm just trying to get an accurate idea and all the media are consistently saying one thing and you alone say something else. The difference not being small, but quite significant.

And that is why i would suggest to personally have a look yourself.

Trust me - i am astonished at the difference of what i see and what is reported.

But at the same time you have no source of your claim - and I don't find you a valid source given your past posting-history.

So source us or move on.

Let me try it in simple words:

Go - and - have - a - look - yourself - at - the - next - larger - event.

It's not as if those events are not announced beforehand... :o

Colypat first things first. As far as going to have a look, many of the ex-pat governments have warned us to stay away, looking at what happened at Prem’s house the advise is sound.

Second I do agree that there should be equal coverage of both pro and anti rallies, however recent history shows that the anti rallies are paid and staged thus making them a non news Item. If there was that much anti support it would be more visible around town. The anti rallies come across now as an employee gathering and that certainly is a non news item. When the march and attack on Prem’s house was clearly premeditated, they lost much of their clout.

The Thais I have talked to either are undecided or will vote for it. Most recognize that the new constitution will allow more money to flow down to the people. As for looking beyond that, well typically that level of in-depth thinking is not common and I have had few if any discussions beyond more government money getting down to the people. In short, very Thai.

But at the same time you have no source of your claim - and I don't find you a valid source given your past posting-history.

So source us or move on.

Let me try it in simple words:

Go - and - have - a - look - yourself - at - the - next - larger - event.

It's not as if those events are not announced beforehand... :o

I see that you lack common sense as you lack common curtesy.

First, not everyone has the time to run around to play 'wave the flag' in central BKK - we don't get payed to do it.

Secondly, a statement of facts of the past will not proven by actions in the future.

Thirdly, it's the person that states the facts that has the burden of proof. Not the other way around.

Edited by TAWP