National Parks

Sojourner

About two years ago the Thai National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Dept. raised the entrance fee for foreigners from 20 baht to 200 baht. There was a lot of complaining about this but other than boycotting the parks there was little we could do about it. Then last year a couple of travel agents in Chiang Mai said they heard that a resident foreigner who could show proof of residency, like a Thai driver's license could get into the parks for 20 baht just like before. My wife and I have traveled around to many of the parks in the Chiang Mai area and have had mixed results. Most park employees we talked with never heard of it but at the same time reduced the fees for me anywhere from 100 baht down to 20 baht.

Does anyone have the real information about this??

Nothing has changed I fear, it's still the same old situation and it totally depends on the people at the gate. A friend of mine, who always carries his residence book with him, was charged 200 baht to enter a national park. Regardles of his residence visa, residence visa book, the man at the gate said: "Farang pay 200 baht!" no arguing.

Dutchy

HI Sojourner-

I just took a month long trip to many National Parks all over the Kingdom with my Thai boyfriend. When they asked us for the 200B from me. He said "no" she is my wife. I got in every-time for 20B. No residency or Thai Drivers Licenses. Perhaps because woman in Thailand are not the bread winners and we are all 2nd class. :D More fair-ness in Thailand? :o