Attacked By A Begging Farang

rainman

I was walking near the Ploenchit skytrain station today looking for a taxi, when a farang in his mid-30's approached me on the street and asked me if I spoke English. I said yes and he asked me where I was from. I was a bit surprised, so I just told him. He responded with "ohhh, good country, my friend". Now I know the "my friend" thing from the Indian tailors so all my red flags went up. I then asked him what he wanted.

He asked me if I could give him Baht 500 as he needed to go to the airport and didn't have the money to pay for the airport tax to fly home. I told him sorry, I don't have any money, just credit cards and keep looking for my taxi. He then follows me and says "how are you going to pay for the taxi if you don't have money? you're lying to me!". Okay, he was right I had money ..and he called me a liar. Forget about ever getting any money from me.

I told him yes I had money but I wouldn't give him anything and told him if he had money problems he should go visit his embassy and they would arrange for his trip back home. He then said that he had already tried that and they wouldn't give him any money. So I knew this guy was lying. Every embassy around the world will arrange for their citizens to get back home. On top, the US and British embassies (he was either US or British, from his good English) are both within walking distance from Ploenchit.

So I just kept walking and then he started to grab my arm and hold me back and said "if you give me the money I will give you my watch, worth 300 Euros". It was more like a cheap red/black plastic watch. And if it was really worth 300 Euros, couldn't he just go to a shop and sell it for Baht 500? I finally found my taxi and got in. When I wanted to close the door, he stood in between and held it open. He said "if you give me the money you will be blessed my friend". I told him forget it and told the taxi driver to start driving. He started to drive slowly and the guy was still holding onto the door and started screaming into my face "you will be cursed forever! you'll see...you're cursed!" Finally the taxi gained speed and he let go of the door.

When I looked out the rear window, I just saw him look after me and then walk away. Now I'm guessing from his aggressiveness, he was a drug addict who needed the money badly to buy more drugs. Later in the taxi, I thought I should have walked to the small traffic police box who was right there 20 meters from me at the street corner.

A bit of a scary experience, but I'm thinking I'm not the first and last this has happened to. My guess is he's targeting farangs who come from the embassies.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was walking near the Ploenchit skytrain station today looking for a taxi, when a farang in his mid-30's approached me on the street and asked me if I spoke English. I said yes and he asked me where I was from. I was a bit surprised, so I just told him. He responded with "ohhh, good country, my friend". Now I know the "my friend" thing from the Indian tailors so all my red flags went up. I then asked him what he wanted.

He asked me if I could give him Baht 500 as he needed to go to the airport and didn't have the money to pay for the airport tax to fly home. I told him sorry, I don't have any money, just credit cards and keep looking for my taxi. He then follows me and says "how are you going to pay for the taxi if you don't have money? you're lying to me!". Okay, he was right I had money ..and he called me a liar. Forget about ever getting any money from me.

I told him yes I had money but I wouldn't give him anything and told him if he had money problems he should go visit his embassy and they would arrange for his trip back home. He then said that he had already tried that and they wouldn't give him any money. So I knew this guy was lying. Every embassy around the world will arrange for their citizens to get back home. On top, the US and British embassies (he was either US or British, from his good English) are both within walking distance from Ploenchit.

So I just kept walking and then he started to grab my arm and hold me back and said "if you give me the money I will give you my watch, worth 300 Euros". It was more like a cheap red/black plastic watch. And if it was really worth 300 Euros, couldn't he just go to a shop and sell it for Baht 500? I finally found my taxi and got in. When I wanted to close the door, he stood in between and held it open. He said "if you give me the money you will be blessed my friend". I told him forget it and told the taxi driver to start driving. He started to drive slowly and the guy was still holding onto the door and started screaming into my face "you will be cursed forever! you'll see...you're cursed!" Finally the taxi gained speed and he let go of the door.

When I looked out the rear window, I just saw him look after me and then walk away. Now I'm guessing from his aggressiveness, he was a drug addict who needed the money badly to buy more drugs. Later in the taxi, I thought I should have walked to the small traffic police box who was right there 20 meters from me at the street corner.

A bit of a scary experience, but I'm thinking I'm not the first and last this has happened to. My guess is he's targeting farangs who come from the embassies.

HI

Just an observation but i doubt he was UK or US citizen they would never refer to anything in Euro's.

TBWG :o

How did you pay your taxi fare - plastic?

Can't you spare a hundred baht or so for someone in need?

Maybe one day you will fall on hard times.

The guy was obviously a scam artist and/or junkie... :D

As posted, no Brit would say Euros'...

More than likely that Dutch guy on Youtube, or someone similar...Sorry, I've got no compassion for some of these guys... :o

RAZZ

I've given large amounts of money to people in need knowing very well I won't ever see it again. That's not the problem. Its the fact that this guy was obviously lying to me and not needing the money for his airport tax. Otherwise he could go to the embassy and tell them that he ran out of money and they will arrange for his flight back, accommodation and food for the next 2-3 days until they can get him on a flight. Once back in his home country, the homeless shelter will take care of him if needed.

Even if you go to the Thai police and tell them you ran out of money, they will deport you back to your home country.

By his aggressiveness, I am thinking he was a drug addict.

Edited by rainman

Just because one carries 100 baht for a taxi-ride doesn't mean one has money 8and especially not 500) to give away to the first one asking for it.

Charity is giving, not handing over to beggers.

I've given large amounts of money to people in need knowing very well I won't ever see it again. That's not the problem. Its the fact that this guy was obviously lying to me and not needing the money for his airport tax. Otherwise he could go to the embassy and tell them that he ran out of money and they will arrange for his flight back, accommodation and food for the next 2-3 days until they can get him on a flight. Once back in his home country, the homeless shelter will take care of him if needed.

Even if you go to the Thai police and tell them you ran out of money, they will deport you back to your home country.

Drug addicts are not bad people, but sick people.

The British Embassy will NOT give everyone a flight home if they don't have money.

The Thai police don't deport you unless you commit a serious crime.

The British Embassy will NOT give everyone a flight home if they don't have money.

Yes they will. I know of two people who ran out of money while in Thailand, both of the British citizens and they both got a ticket within 2 days and accommodation/food during those days.

I've had one run in with an aggressive farang beggar. In Khao San one day, a man, think he was English, in his late 30s or 40s came up to me saying he had just been robbed the night before by a Thai woman and needed money so he could get back to his hotel in Suhkumvit. He then mumbled something about not being a Manchester fan and took off his soccer jersey and said he'd give it to me for 300 baht. I don't know anything about soccer and had no idea what he was talking about, so I definitely did not want a soccer jersey from sweaty, drunk farang. I'd been on the verge of giving him some taxi money just to get him to leave me alone, but taking off the shirt was so embarrassing I changed my mind and the girlfriend and I ran off, while he started shouting some garbage and waving his fist at me. I thought it was pretty funny, but the Thai bird I was with had never seen a farang act like that before and was really shook up.

The exceptional thing is how seldom stuff like that happens here. Compare to a big US city.

True!! Ive been stopped in the street in the US, Hey big guy. Price of a coffee/taxi etc But never yet in Thailand, strange really I think if and when it does happen it will be a falang :o

...I told him yes I had money but I wouldn't give him anything and told him if he had money problems he should go visit his embassy and they would arrange for his trip back home. He then said that he had already tried that and they wouldn't give him any money. So I knew this guy was lying. Every embassy around the world will arrange for their citizens to get back home...

I saw a documentary a few years back about the UK embassy in BKK. I seem to remember that the line given by them at the time was that they will allow you to use the embassy phone for free to phone friends and family back in the UK to send you money for a ticket, but they won't actually give you the money themselves. This was presumably to prevent a stream of people arriving at the embassy at the end of their stay asking for return tickets back to Blighty. Maybe in special circumstances the embassy would actually pay for the ticket themselves though.

just curious.. was the guy - caucasian, 5'7", 140 lbs, brown hair, no glasses? I met this guy who told me he didn't have any money and that he was going to complain to the us embassy about their disinterest in helping him. he said that they were required to help him because he was an american citizen. right away, I knew there was something wrong with him. so, I kept him at a distance. I remember he told me he didn't have an airplane ticket to get back home.

Drug addicts are not bad people, but sick people.

The Thai police don't deport you unless you commit a serious crime.

When Thailand deports someone it does not pay the airfare. The punter is locked up in the IDC until he somehow comes up with the funds.

..... The punter is locked up in the IDC until he somehow comes up with the funds.

I do not want to be too harsh, but that is the place where these cone artists belong to.

And to dinstinguish between needy people and these guys is not that easy task. I recently read an article that street beggars may even belong to a bigger organisation, because big money seems to be made with this trade.

Not that crazy Canadian is it? He's the guy who does the airport tax scam. Should've told him it's 700 baht and included in the ticket now. :o

That was my first thought as well... He needs to update his scam.

Do you have a screen capture of the guy you interviewed to post, bkk?

I know various other pics have been posted on TV of various beggars...

Perhaps rainman can identify one of them as his perpetrator?

We should create a rogue's gallery so they can be sorted.

Edited by sriracha john

Sorry, Neeranam, got to disagree with you on that one. I'm usually the first idiot to be sparing money for those in need, but from rainman's story, this guy wouldn't have got a satang from me, either. Some people just "feel wrong". :o

Sorry, Neeranam, got to disagree with you on that one. I'm usually the first idiot to be sparing money for those in need, but from rainman's story, this guy wouldn't have got a satang from me, either. Some people just "feel wrong". :o

I agree, November Rain. I like helping people too, but not con men, and not people who are rude and aggressive.

Some years back, there were a number of foreigners who used to scam people. MBK had several and on more than one occasion I was approached with a sad story. Once I gave a guy 200 baht and 1/2 hour later he was sitting in a restaurant there drinking beer!

One thing to keep in mind is that it's best not to argue with people about why you won't give them your money. It's no and walk briskly away. Don't listen to any sad stories or look like your contemplating it.

People who want to help others can contact their embassy and find out how they can be of help to people who are truly in need. Then you can feel comfortable in making sure that when you encounter someone like this guy you can refer them to the embassy and know they will get some help.

I'm sure Rainman can give you directions to where you can find this fellow. If you indeed are interested in backing up your words with actions.

I'm sure Rainman can give you directions to where you can find this fellow. If you indeed are interested in backing up your words with actions.

Think he's still hanging about same place?

Perhaps we can all go a 'whip-round' for this poor fellow? :o