Attacked By A Begging Farang

rainman

Sounds like a loon to me. By giving you a hard time, it's unlikely you will change your mind and say "let's make it an even 800, pal."

On the subject of genorosity of embassys, I think you are wrong. The two people you know proberbly had someone at the other end guarentee their passage cost or were able to show an ability and willingness to repay.

If the embassy were to give every rag tag and bob tail a free flight taxpayers would rightly be up in arms.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..... The punter is locked up in the IDC until he somehow comes up with the funds.

I do not want to be too harsh, but that is the place where these cone artists belong to.

And to dinstinguish between needy people and these guys is not that easy task. I recently read an article that street beggars may even belong to a bigger organisation, because big money seems to be made with this trade.

It's truth that some street beggars are control by gangster, but for a begging white skin farang that speak english I doubt he belong to any begging syndicate unless he willing to paint his whole body black/blue :o

How did you pay your taxi fare - plastic?

Can't you spare a hundred baht or so for someone in need?

Maybe one day you will fall on hard times.

I've given large amounts of money to people in need knowing very well I won't ever see it again. That's not the problem. Its the fact that this guy was obviously lying to me and not needing the money for his airport tax. Otherwise he could go to the embassy and tell them that he ran out of money and they will arrange for his flight back, accommodation and food for the next 2-3 days until they can get him on a flight. Once back in his home country, the homeless shelter will take care of him if needed.

Even if you go to the Thai police and tell them you ran out of money, they will deport you back to your home country.

By his aggressiveness, I am thinking he was a drug addict.

If he is dutch than he wont get support from the embassy. All the Dutch embassy does is contacting your family back home and ask them for money to get you back. If the family refuses to support you are out on the streets....

Maybe this has already been stated, but there is no longer a departure tax at the airport. It is (supposedly) already included in the airfare.

I once was approached by a similar person asking for a handout. I had money, but I decided not to give any to them. The reason... I was unemployed... just like the poor bugger asking for money.

Well you might do the Budist merit making and just give him B5 and try to walk away. When he ask for more tell him he will have to get it from somebody else. If he persists then show both palms up and say I dont have it. If he points at a your pocket then "turn the table" and ask to see his pockets. If he is a scam artist he will not be broke and will not show you his pockets. I have had them turn at this point and leave quickly. If he truly is broke then advise him to go to the Christian Church people as I am sure they want to get their hands on him and save him. There are "do good people" out there and I collect there phone numbers and address just so I can direct these hardship cases.

LLL :o

Had a similar situation on Sukhumvit 11 just a week or so ago. A dodgy looking Brit - crewcut, bad teeth, tattoos on his tattoos - said he'd come in from CM and, silly him, had left his money bag on the bus and could i help him out.

Help him my arse. From his breath he'd been on the booze all night and there is no way I'm helping some halfwit drink himself to death.

i shrugged my shoulders, said 'sorry, no chance' and walked away. He called me a f****g c**t, which was not only nice but incredibly perceptive for such a swift encounter.

I saw a documentary on beggars near the London tube a few years ago. They used the same aggressive tactics as mentioned by other posters.

They start off relying on their victim’s conscience then progress to threats of violence if the first method failed.

Some of the interviewed beggars claimed the threatening method was more profitable.

Had a similar situation on Sukhumvit 11 just a week or so ago. A dodgy looking Brit - crewcut, bad teeth, tattoos on his tattoos - said he'd come in from CM and, silly him, had left his money bag on the bus and could i help him out.

Help him my arse. From his breath he'd been on the booze all night and there is no way I'm helping some halfwit drink himself to death.

i shrugged my shoulders, said 'sorry, no chance' and walked away. He called me a f****g c**t, which was not only nice but incredibly perceptive for such a swift encounter.

:o:D

i've met this guy before at chidlom bts - he asked me for taxi money to get to samitivej hospital where his lost wallet was going to be returned - i offered to kick him in the goolies and call him an ambulance... :o

He called me a f****g c**t, which was not only nice but incredibly perceptive for such a swift encounter.

Thats what the very respectable looking elderly english gentleman that works as an english teacher and sleeps at coffee world soi 7/1 calls me behind my back. I rented a room to him and he ended up costing me a few hundred thousand baht, turned out he gets by by shoplifting and thieving, was taken in by the police for having no passport but let out on a technicality.

he ended up costing me a few hundred thousand baht

Many like that in Thailand, many Farang let their guard down against fellow Farangs when they come to Thailand, I did once and it cost me 60,000 Baht.

Many are too scared to go home cos they will be arrested, but I knew a guy that done exactly that, and it was the best thing that could have happened to him. He only got 9 Months and recieved all the state help for free, got set up again in UK, found a job, and now 6 years later he is well sorted out with money in his pocket and a good life.

Before that he was just another drunken Farang on overstay trying to survive by teaching English in Bangkok, ended up in a right mess, luckily for him some people got together and got him a ticket out and gave him money for his overstay.

No wonder Thailand is tightening up it's Visa rules. :o

Sorry but the embassies mentioned, Aus and NZ as well, will not just give you money and/or pay your airfare. They will, however, assist in contacting relatives in your home country (should you wish that) who may be able to stump up or guarantee cash to pay expenses for you. Or there may be some sort of way you can guarantee a loan (verifyable bank account in home country possibly) The foreign service will not simply give you money, without guarantee of payment, because you don't have any. They will not give beggars money for food and accomodation and a flight home. They would go broke.

The way its written what this guy said "euros", "my friend" etc etc doesn't sound like a Brit or Yank to me at all.

Good luck if you think embassies will pay your return fare. I've known a fair few people who have served as consuls, ambassadors etc, and they tell hilarious stories about idiots who turn up expcting the embassy to ship them home. They don't pay for funerals or legal costs either (well, paupers' funerals in rare cases). There such a misconception about what embassies do.

Also, with regard to the taxi fare scams, ever heard of buses? I reckon I'd hand over 8 baht or so if I genuinely thought someone needed help.

Edited by polecat

I'm sure Rainman can give you directions to where you can find this fellow. If you indeed are interested in backing up your words with actions.

Right under the Ploenchit skytrain station, other side of the street where the big office building is with the Home Pro, Swiss Helping Point, etc. Same side of the street where all the translation offices are. Around 11:30am ...I'm sure he's there every day when the embassies close.

On a second thought, he could have been Canadian. I assumed British/US because of his good English, but totally forgot about the possibility of being Canadian. He either grew up in an English-speaking country or was from one. Not a British accent or Australian accent, so it may just be that Canadian you're talking about.

Edited by rainman

I follow the Mrs on beggars in Thailand, if they are young enough to work they get nothing, but we do occasionally give something to the old beggars. That certainly includes giving nothing to begging westerners and those lazy sows who si on the BTS stations around Sukhumvit with their babies, bloody disgusting.

those lazy sows who si on the BTS stations around Sukhumvit with their babies, bloody disgusting.

Maybe you should suggest they take a trip to the local Social Security Office next time you pass them.

Edited by Maigo6

On a second thought, he could have been Canadian. I assumed British/US because of his good English, but totally forgot about the possibility of being Canadian. He either grew up in an English-speaking country or was from one. Not a British accent or Australian accent, so it may just be that Canadian you're talking about.

Was it this guy?

Canadian Beggar

I was hasstled by an oldish aussie guy Sunday afternoon in Pattaya wanting a beer,he looked like he'd been 12 rounds with Tyson in his hay day, after ignoring him a few minutes later he returned & said "don't ever come to Australia mate...I'll slit your throat" end quote.......Does this guy work for the Australian tourist board or something??

I bought him a beer seeing though I was quacking in my boots :o

Was it this guy?

Canadian Beggar

looks like a candidate for NASA :o

he ended up costing me a few hundred thousand baht

Many like that in Thailand, many Farang let their guard down against fellow Farangs when they come to Thailand, I did once and it cost me 60,000 Baht.

Many are too scared to go home cos they will be arrested, but I knew a guy that done exactly that, and it was the best thing that could have happened to him. He only got 9 Months and recieved all the state help for free, got set up again in UK, found a job, and now 6 years later he is well sorted out with money in his pocket and a good life.

Before that he was just another drunken Farang on overstay trying to survive by teaching English in Bangkok, ended up in a right mess, luckily for him some people got together and got him a ticket out and gave him money for his overstay.

No wonder Thailand is tightening up it's Visa rules. :o

yes, this guys hanging around because he's in love with some lady he cant afford, the problem is that many people, and its understandable to a degree, get into victim mode when they have no money and start blaming everyone else for their problems, like this guy will leave his bag somewhere accidentally and then go into a rant about how all thais are thieves, then someone returns his bag and he has no gratitude, but alcohol is his problem, he was ok till he started drinking

Was it this guy?

Canadian Beggar

Crikey! i think i ran into this fella something like 7 years ago in Khao San......sponged a few beers off of us too.