Where's The Best Place To Live In Thailand?

Mr Red

My lovely Thai wife of 34 years and I are planning retirement in Thailand in a few years. She has followed me and my career around the world long enough -- its time for her to go home to her family. As we ponder what we want to do, I would like to know what all of you think about picking places to hang your hat. What is the good, the bad and the ugly for the Thai towns where expats may pick to live?

Most of my wife's family is in Bangkok (various areas) and we are somewhat familiar with that area. I admit to some attraction to the Hua Hin area, but I want to remain open and hear some honest opinions about various towns.

My list of requirements is relatively short:

-- Money is not a big issue -- I am not looking for anything on the cheap side, but I don't want to go extravagant either

-- I would like some of the comforts I am used to here (USA) -- reasonable TV selection, high-speed internet, decent grocery store/shopping to find western goodies

-- I want to live in an area where we feel safe and where I can have her family visit and feel safe

My wife is a long-time US citizen, but still has her Thai passport and plans to try to reinstate for the dual-citizenship approach. I am hoping this will qualify her for land ownership as well as potentially Thai health insurance?

Any and all opinions and discussions are very welcome.

Mr. Red (Jim)

If I tell you then everyone will want to come and live here!! :o

Given your own list "reasonable TV selection, high-speed internet, decent grocery store/shopping to find western goodies"

perhaps you should head for Bangkok.

Lovely traffic jams as well.

Safety is not a problem anywhere, except perhaps in the southern provinces at the moment.

Edited by astral

Given your own list "reasonable TV selection, high-speed internet, decent grocery store/shopping to find western goodies"

perhaps you should head for Bangkok.

Lovely traffic jams as well.

Safety is not a problem anywhere, except perhaps in the southern provinces at the moment.

Yup! I agree, but you won't the jams right?

Explorer :o

Why not go and look for yourself the years to come?

Nice preperation time.

During that time your wife can update her paperwork.

Health insurance in Thailand?? :o:D

Read the several postings on the forum.

BTW.I did exactly the same.Now I will retire the end of this year.

If you want to retired and don't know where. Your best choice is to take your time and make trip around Thailand. See the amazing nature from petchabun-loei -chiang rai. Take a look at nongkhai and some small city in Isan. Discover The dreaming of living on a Island like Samui, pha ngan or a smaller island. Some like Bangkok and Pattaya. I like it too but just for a few days. I think you have to travel a few months to find a place you will live.

I lived in Pattaya for 13 Years, from 35 years old to now, but now i am going to Build a House in Loei, Pattaya is ok, But the climate in Loei is good for farangs, and its got some stunning scenery. Pattaya will still be there if i want to go back sometimes. (which i will)

I will be 90 minute drive from Khon Kaen, which has everything, including an Airport, it's a 45 minute flight to Bangkok.

I think as long as you have some decent transport and some money, you can live anywhere.

the climate in Loei is good for farangs

You're as bad as the Thai when it comes to generalizations! I'd freeze my butt off in Loei in the winter time. Do you also think farangs can't eat sticky rice or spicy food, and all come from one country named Farangland, where everyone has blond hair and blue eyes, speaks English, and sweats profusely if it's over 20 degrees celsius?

You're as bad as the Thai when it comes to generalizations! I'd freeze my butt off in Loei in the winter time. Do you also think farangs can't eat sticky rice or spicy food, and all come from one country named Farangland, where everyone has blond hair and blue eyes, speaks English, and sweats profusely if it's over 20 degrees celsius?

You ok?

Have another crate of beer!

You ok?

Have another crate of beer!

Another stereotype? All farangs are beer-swillers?

For me, retirement in Pattaya would be worse than death.

My perfect place would have to exhibit a delicate balance between having creature comforts, but with as few other farangs around as possible. Still trying to figure out where that might be, but I've got at least another 10-20 years to think about it (unfortunately).

Samui is too under-developed for me. If you want farang food, forget it. Even the Tesco there doesn't really cater for farangs.

If you think living on a desert island is what you want, go for it. Went to Samui for 1 week about 6 months ago. 5 days too long. G/f and I totally bored after riding around the island several times and seeing what was there.

I live in Phuket, but it is a long, long way from Bangkok. I drive there and back, but the roads around Chumpon are a national disgrace (not that I can imagine any Thai transport department being disgraced about it), so now I am thinking of living somewhere between bkk and Pattaya. I like the amenities in bkk but I want the beach, too - so where to stay? Must keep looking :o

If I am not mistaken and I often am Fortune or Forbes magazine or at least something of that ilk published a survey a year or so ago along the lines of 'The 50 best places in the world for retirees".

The highest placed Thai location and if I recall in the top few places worldwide was Nong Khai

You're right qwertyuiop, Nong Khai was listed 7th in some poll about favoured retirement destinations for AMERICAN retirees. Bit odd really since it's not as if there's millions of them here. Sounded to me like one of those polls tryin gto boost business.

I wonder if the OP wouldn't find it a bit quiet, but as others have said the only way to find out what he wants is to come to LOS, travel around extensively until he finds what is right for him.

I spent a whole year travelling around Thailand looking for somewhere to retire. I would not live on the coast as I prefer to 'save' it for holidays.

The north appealed to me much more than the south but everyone has different tastes. Loei was certainly high on my list.

Take the advice given here, take your time and go find your own piece of paradise.

Any and all opinions and discussions are very welcome.

Do you know how to sail, or do you have any interest in sailing? Here is something I'm thinking about.

My fiance' and I are almost finished with a new home up in the country, and will begin living there part time soon. While we will mostly live elsewhere, it will become our true home.

However, within the next 5-10 years, I'm also looking to develop another property or two, or possibly even look at a nice sailboat, something in the 30-40 foot range. Something like this could double as a comfy home if nicely outfitted, and also allow one to travel around the islands at leisure.

Just a thought ...

For me, it is not certain yet, but it is something to think about.

Hay Mr. Red, sendbaht here from Redondo Beach.

My Sweet Thai wife and I are moving to Thailand in 2009.

During our 2 annual trips to visit the in-laws and daughter in Collage in Chiang Mai we try to take off for 5 days just our self's and explore different palces.

When we move we are planning on living 6 months in different places until we find the perfect place "for us".

I live just south of Chiang Mai; it has all the creature comforts and culture anyone could ever want. There's something going on all the time and it's really very farang-friendly. But in another ten years, I fear it wil have become a mini-Bangkok and Nong Kai, Phayao or Loei will probably more appealing to me, with Trat and Trang as longshots. Trang is actually my first choice of all, but only between November and April.....

For me, retirement in Pattaya would be worse than death.
My sentiments exactly!

And Patong :o:D:D !

Anybody got any comments about Chaam? I can see it's close to Bangkok (compared to Phuket, anywhere is close to bkk!) so OK for day trips for shopping, etc, but what about the beach and amenities - restaurants, Isaan food for the g/f (most important), supermarkets, etc.? Any Chaam residents like to comment? :D

I personally choose Chiang Mai. It has all the comforts an average farang requires with few of the down sides. The mountains are a short drive away and the climate, far more comfortable than the southern areas throughout most of the year.

ten years time? Who knows, but I can envisage things getting better.

Thanks to all for the great comments!

Dutch -- I think your advice is excellent. We really are planning to do some serious traveling and looking before committing, but I am always on the lookout for some interesting heads-up.

As for Pattaya, I couldn't agree more that I want to avoid that area. 35 years ago I had some great times there (before I met my wife), but that is not the lifestyle I seek now.

I think the islands are great places, but for a visit. I think I like coastal areas (we live in a resort area on the Florida gulf coast now) so maybe that's where my bias for places like Hua Hin or Chaam comes from.

Spee, I do sail some, and while I enjoy it, I don't have a desire to live on one. However, if you are plying the clear waters of the Bight of Bangkok in a few years, I might like to thumb a ride.

Sendbaht -- like you, we have a set date for my retirement, but it is presently about a year out from yours. We look forward to more regular trips (at least annually) as we search for the ultimate homestead. Our kids are already grown up and out of the college scene. One son in the military now doing what he loves.

Walker/P1P -- Chiang Mai has a big attraction for me and my wife, but she worries about being farther away from her Bangkok-centered family than she wants.

All -- I guess I reveal my ignorance of Thailand and the expat community, but I was a bit surprised at the level of recommendations for up-country (Isan??) area mentions. I had to look up on a map the towns mentioned (Loei, Nong Khai, etc), and I must admit those are areas I have not traveled to? However, it sounds like I should give a good look to those areas in the future.

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions. Very helpful.

My lovely Thai wife of 34 years and I are planning retirement in Thailand in a few years. ................ What is the good, the bad and the ugly for the Thai towns where expats may pick to live?

How's your health ?, might want to include that consideration in your process,

If your going to need a high-end cutter or something specialized might want to stick close to Bkk, (not talking emergency care here, you'd be dead in the back of a cab before you got across town), :o

Walker/P1P -- Chiang Mai has a big attraction for me and my wife, but she worries about being farther away from her Bangkok-centered family than she wants.

I have also found others' comments illumination and will make a comment or two if I may.

I spend a lot of time in Isarn, we have business interests and a home in Khon Kaen and a farm in Surin. I find, when there, that I need to travel to Bangkok to fulfill many basic Farang requirements. Such as books in English, other than the occasional pulp paperback. Good music CDs and good films on DVD etc. Many foodstuffs and not to mention my own clothing. (I have a large build.)

Chiang Mai provides all I need and I find it to be effectively closer to Bangkok than Khon Kaen, I can get from door to door, city center to city center in under 2 1/2 hours with the hourly, or now even more frequent flights between CNX & BKK. I even have a couple of friends who commute on a daily basis.

I also greatly prefer the relaxed, laid back lifestyle in Chiang Mai over most other parts of the country.

(We find the distance from Bkk & Isarn based relatives to be a great blessing. Can get there fast if needs arise, but they are not constantly in our faces. Only trouble is, they are too frequently staying with us!)