My Pet Name For Hang Dong

Rice_King

I have a totally tin ear and my Thai wife had to carefully explain to me that Thais do not pronounce the 'R' like an 'L' but sorta roll it a bit like the French but much more subtly. Even Thais do not say "Falang".

It's true Thais are taught they *should* trill the 'r' sound, but in reality most speakers pronounce it with an 'l' sound unless they are in a very formal situation and try to articulate and speak correctly.

Newsreaders have constant, trilled 'r's as that is a requirement to work in that position, and some teachers as well. Average Thai on the street? Nope, not unless they concentrate on getting it right.

Clear case of 'do as I say, not as I do'.

In any case it is not a case of an 'r' followed by an 'l' so I dont see the need for the 'farlang' spelling either.

Given the various theories that "farang" came from the Arabic "Ferenghi" or from the adjustment of "Francais" into "farangset" etc etc etc ........ any farang who insists on using an "el" sound instead of an "rr", ought to be made to work as a bicycle-riding garlic seller on the tow paths of the Nile for a year :o

There seems to be no lower limit to what Chiang Mai #######s can make a pseudo academic issue out of. Since it is such an offensive word yet another option is to add ####### to the database of prohibited words. However, that could lead to lengthy discussions of which is the more proper workaround when one actually does mean to write ####### - if not for other reasons, then for taking the #### on those that consider themselves supreme #######s.

There seems to be no lower limit to what Chiang Mai #######s can make a pseudo academic issue out of. Since it is such an offensive word yet another option is to add ####### to the database of prohibited words. However, that could lead to lengthy discussions of which is the more proper workaround when one actually does mean to write ####### - if not for other reasons, then for taking the #### on those that consider themselves supreme #######s.

Perhaps we should open a poll regarding what the various contributors of this forum consider an appropriate category into which their co-contributors should be placed. I would suggest such categories as: semi-normal, disillusioned, dork, wa#ker, <deleted>, fcukwit, etc. (Please note that normal isn't listed).

I know where I belong, I'm sure numerous readers wouldn't agree. cool17.gif

Closed - ended - otherways done away with before blows are exchanged or contracts taken out.

And - Yes. I live in a part of Ampur Hang Dong somewhat less-than-affectionately referred to by some of my friends as White-Trash-Trailerville!