Motorcycle Ride

Thaicoon

People's ideas of a motorbike ride are sometimes drastically different. The little 125 cc bikes are ideal for what I like to do. The dirt roads that are not on any maps are the most fun for me. Dropping a big heavy bike into washed out deep ruts is tough to handle. Exploring is fun in the mountainous areas of Loei province. Getting lost is pretty common so a hand held tracking GPS is a good idea to get you back to civilization.

People's ideas of a motorbike ride are sometimes drastically different. The little 125 cc bikes are ideal for what I like to do. The dirt roads that are not on any maps are the most fun for me. Dropping a big heavy bike into washed out deep ruts is tough to handle. Exploring is fun in the mountainous areas of Loei province. Getting lost is pretty common so a hand held tracking GPS is a good idea to get you back to civilization.

I get your point, however driving on a small 125cc gives me the feeling that somebody tried to shovel the bike up my butt, and dident quite made all the way.. :o Regarding the danger involved, I'll take the big one any time.

Regards.

I will be back in Buriram on the 21st August, :D , i am about 4 clicks out on the Surin road, any of you guys fancy a bike ride somewhere and a few beers after. let us know.

Can your bike keep up ??? :o

Regards

You still got the GSX1000, mate of mine in Non Bua has same bike, old age creeping in, sports bikes now play hel_l with the old back. but still got the fireblade, bringing a few aditions for it this time.

Also do you know where i can buy an old sports bike, i just want engine case and the bike, take the gutz out of the engine to make it lighter, i want to turn it into a BSB or MOTOGP Replica, HM Plant, Virgin Mobile or a John Reynolds Rizla Suzuki, depending what bike i can get, just to hang on the wall in a new venture wife and i are opening. any breakers about. as got lot of other stuff as well, tommy hill signed fairing, nose cone off Ferrari F1 etc,

Edited by Thaicoon

I will be back in Buriram on the 21st August, :D , i am about 4 clicks out on the Surin road, any of you guys fancy a bike ride somewhere and a few beers after. let us know.

Can your bike keep up ??? :D

Regards

You still got the GSX1000, mate of mine in Non Bua has same bike, old age creeping in, sports bikes now play hel_l with the old back. but still got the fireblade, bringing a few aditions for it this time.

Also do you know where i can buy an old sports bike, i just want engine case and the bike, take the gutz out of the engine to make it lighter, i want to turn it into a BSB or MOTOGP Replica, HM Plant, Virgin Mobile or a John Reynolds Rizla Suzuki, depending what bike i can get, just to hang on the wall in a new venture wife and i are opening. any breakers about. as got lot of other stuff as well, tommy hill signed fairing, nose cone off Ferrari F1 etc,

Yep, still got it, should get it back from the paint-shop anytime now :D . Regarding older sports-bikes, my best guess will be to contact one of the shops who import the bikes from over-seas as tractor-parts, to avoid the tax. I know some of them, so lets get together when you come, and find out what the best choice is.

After one hour on the Gixer, I require three hours of firm massage :o

Cheers

Regards

Yep, still got it, should get it back from the paint-shop anytime now :D . Regarding older sports-bikes, my best guess will be to contact one of the shops who import the bikes from over-seas as tractor-parts, to avoid the tax. I know some of them, so lets get together when you come, and find out what the best choice is.

Cheers

An old NC30 would be just the job, ok i will postmark you a phone number and my address in Thailand.

Regards

Cheers

An old NC30 would be just the job, ok i will postmark you a phone number and my address in Thailand.

Actualy I think you know me already, and I know where you live, we met about 4-5 years ago, when David had the Bamboo-bar.

Regards.

Regards

Cheers

Actualy I think you know me already, and I know where you live, we met about 4-5 years ago, when David had the Bamboo-bar.

Regards.

OK, Now you got me thinking, i was speaking to dave this morning, he is not good, very depressed etc, i will tell you more when i see you. all the best.

Regards

Hi Thaicoon

Intrigued about the new venture, Ferrari F1 nosecone? sounds my type of place!!

TBWG :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gary,

I am down the road from you in Phu Pha Man on the way to Chum Phae and like to go exploring up in the mountains. That GPS idea appeals to me as there are a lot of nice but hard to find places around where I live and I would like to plot them. I would also like to find my way home as well :o

What sort of hand held GPS have you got or can recommend? I want to buy one but dont have a clue what brand would support Thailand etc. Any advice??

Khun Andy

Hi Gary,

I am down the road from you in Phu Pha Man on the way to Chum Phae and like to go exploring up in the mountains. That GPS idea appeals to me as there are a lot of nice but hard to find places around where I live and I would like to plot them. I would also like to find my way home as well :o

What sort of hand held GPS have you got or can recommend? I want to buy one but dont have a clue what brand would support Thailand etc. Any advice??

Khun Andy

I actually have two Garmins. One is the Street Pilot 2610 that I use in the car and truck. The other is an eTrex Legend CX that I keep in my pocket when I am on the bike or in the glove box when I don't want to bother with the big 2610. The best map comes from ESRI and it is expensive at 12,000 baht. Here is a link;

http://www.gadgetrend.com/index.php

I have maps from Rotweiler which suit my use. Rotweiler gets a $100 donation (not free) for a download and future upgrades. If you opt for the eTrex, make sure you get the CX. It has a memory card that can be easily upgraded. I upgraded mine from the standard 64mb to a gig. I think I paid about 600 baht for the one gig memory card. The eTrex is waterproof and they sell a handlebar mount for a motorcycle. You can also get a 12 volt connection that works on a bike or a car. With the standard 2 AA batteries it will run for about 30 hours.

As far as I know, the only decent maps work only in Garmin GPS units.

Hi Gary,

Khun Andy

I actually have two Garmins. One is the Street Pilot 2610 that I use in the car and truck. The other is an eTrex Legend CX that I keep in my pocket when I am on the bike or in the glove box when I don't want to bother with the big 2610. The best map comes from ESRI and it is expensive at 12,000 baht. Here is a link;

I have maps from Rotweiler which suit my use. Rotweiler gets a $100 donation (not free) for a download and future upgrades. If you opt for the eTrex, make sure you get the CX. It has a memory card that can be easily upgraded. I upgraded mine from the standard 64mb to a gig. I think I paid about 600 baht for the one gig memory card. The eTrex is waterproof and they sell a handlebar mount for a motorcycle. You can also get a 12 volt connection that works on a bike or a car. With the standard 2 AA batteries it will run for about 30 hours.

Thanks Gary,

I checked out the link and the prices, just checking what the prices are in Aussie as i will be there for a week before returning

Andy

Hi Gary,

Khun Andy

Thanks Gary,

I checked out the link and the prices, just checking what the prices are in Aussie as i will be there for a week before returning

Andy

If you think you are going to buy the ESRI map for the hand held, I'd buy it from Gadget Trend. The map alone is 12,000 baht and buying the eTrex with the map is 15,900. That makes the eTrex pretty cheap.

If you think you are going to buy the ESRI map for the hand held, I'd buy it from Gadget Trend. The map alone is 12,000 baht and buying the eTrex with the map is 15,900. That makes the eTrex pretty cheap.

Thanks for the additional info GaryA, I bought a brand new Etrex Vista HCX off Ebay for 7800 Baht and a Garmin refurb Street Pilot i3 for the car for 4700 Baht. After the impulse buy of the i3 I looked up the 2610 and wished I had gone for that instead. The specs on the i3 show it to be a very small screen but it may be ok, I will have to wait and see.

I didnt really want the i3 but it was an impulse buy at the checkout as it is a discontinued line. :o

Both from the States so shipping was an extra 1200 baht.

I think I will go along with the Rotweiler download. Have you found the Rotweiler Thai maps reasonable?

Khun Andy

Edited by khunandy

My first reply to this post must be floating around in cyberspace, so I'll try again.

I have never seen the i3 so can't comment. The The eTrex Vista HCX appears to have more features than the Legend CX. I must admit that the 2610 has me spoiled because of the bigger screen and the remote. The 2610 is also discontinued because the new models have more features. Some of those new features cannot be used in Thailand anyways so the 2610 is a great buy for use here. I'm sure you will be very amazed and pleased with both the devices. You can put your own way points and routes in the unit and save them. The nice thing is that they are saved in the internal memory and NOT on the memory card so you never lose them.

Both units that I have will do the same thing but unfortunately they do it a little different as far as the set up. I use the 2610 a lot more and every time I use the eTrex, I have to learn all over again. :o

The Rotweiler maps have some glitches but nothing that you can't find a way around. They may be just as good as the ESRI maps. I don't have the ESRI map to compare the two but I have been told that ESRI has glitches too. The $100 donation is for all the Rotweiler maps and the updates. Since you probably only want the all of Thailand map you may be able to go with the $25 or $50 option. The latest Rotweiler maps are locked BUT they will give you passwords for two devices. Rotweiler is very good responding to email so send an email and ask questions. ESRI will put the map on ONLY one device.

You will want to upgrade the memory so you can get the entire Thailand map on one card. I bought both cards from;

http://www.thanni.com

I was quite impressed with their service and the prices. I bought the one gig CF card and a one gig Micro card both for less than a thousand baht delivered right to my house.

You will want to upgrade the memory so you can get the entire Thailand map on one card. I bought both cards from;

http://www.thanni.com

I was quite impressed with their service and the prices. I bought the one gig CF card and a one gig Micro card both for less than a thousand baht delivered right to my house.

Thanks for the lead GaryA, looks like a worthwhile website, especially for us folk in semi remote areas