Jool's Bar And Restaurant

Blinky Bill

Just wondering how Jool's is doing these days since Big Dave sold it.

I've been an on and off patron of the place since Kim Fletcher and Matthew Swires had it in the old days when at times it was standing (very tightly) room only.

Walked past it a few times last week and it was quite empty every time.

Some guys I spoke to who have been going since the Kim and Matty days say it can be hit or miss.

I can also remember the standing room only days - people still complain about the afternoon drinking spoiling their nights but that was the reason 6 of them opened Chequers :o

Just wondering how Jool's is doing these days since Big Dave sold it.

I've been an on and off patron of the place since Kim Fletcher and Matthew Swires had it in the old days when at times it was standing (very tightly) room only.

ah yes, the legendary saturday afternoon sessions, i for one was thankful it was standing (very tightly)room only, its the only thing that kept a few of us on our feet.

do you also remember kims original place in the nana plaza, the white rabbit?

as prakanong says, most times i go past it seems dead, in fact i havent been in since big dave sold, i remember when he bought the place about 10 years ago.

i remember kim was running tq2 in pattaya for a while before getting involved with the irish bar ( sorry cant remember the name, jamesons?), dont know what he is doing these days.

Had some good times in Jools bar. Found it to be more a 'working class' atmosphere compared with the aloof and mock-aristo-types of Chequers.

Yup, the staff were always on hand to hand out complimentary drinks! :o

Dave was certainly a one-of-a kind type of guy, no messing, no bs and plenty of stories to be told.:D

Had some good times in Jools bar. Found it to be more a 'working class' atmosphere compared with the aloof and mock-aristo-types of Chequers.

Yup, the staff were always on hand to hand out complimentary drinks! :o

Dave was certainly a one-of-a kind type of guy, no messing, no bs and plenty of stories to be told. :D

Mock-aristo of Chequers????

I admit to not having being in since May 99 but I know the original 6 guys who opened it then Woody bought the other 5 out one by one. If its mock-aristo it must have changed a he11 of a lot.

I have seen Matty Squire about a few times - he was still working on the cruise ships last time I heard. A couple of years ago his ship was impined for health reasons and he got stuck in BKK for a while. I share the same birthday with him.

I think Kim went to Shenanigans in Pattaya before Jamesons.

If you have read Private Dancer by Stephen Leather you may recognise some of the characters in there. Had a drink with one last week actually and we seem to be in the same country at the same time - PI in May and Belgium pretty soon.

I beleive the books working title was someting like "The Sad F$%^&" and the bar was going to be called Fatso's :o