The Lower League Thread

mrbojangles

Carling Cup first round : Hull City 0 Macclesfield Town 2 :shock1::D

Great win for the Silkmen at Championship side,Hull,with two goals from former Nottingham Forest striker,Emile Sinclair.

In a night of shocks excellent wins also for Morecambe at Barnsley,Shrewsbury at Derby,Northampton at Ipswich and Bury at home to Coventry.

The Nottingham derby was a good one, with Forest sneaking in on penalties.

21,000 in attendance despite the reported spread of rioting to the city.

No riots at the City Ground however. Everyone seemed happy. Forest got their expected win, and County performed above expectations.

However, Martin Allen was prevented by police from doing his "Peter the Hermit" act and leading his 6000 followers on foot from Meadow Lane to the City Ground.

He had to take the bus.

ColU 1 Wycombe Wanderers 1

After the surprising away win (2-4)at PNE last week and , despite being the better team, the loss on penalties to Wycombe last Tuesday in the Carling Cup, I'd have hoped to avenge that against them at home in the league on Saturday. Some splendid football by the U's in the first half and 1-0 at h/t due to a Vincent goal. The s/h a different an lacklustre U's saw Wycombe able to equalise via a penalty. A bit worrying when Vincent went off injured, although he may miss the game against Charlton on Tues, it doesn't seem as though it's a serious as it first seemed. As far as the U's are concerned definitely a case of the old, banal cliche about a game of two halves.

ColU 0 Charlton 2

Just five minutes after the ko I was predicting that we'd lose 3 or 4 nil. If not for some superb keeping by Mark Cousins it could have been more. Just like on Saturday their first goal (and arguably the second) was end of season signing from Swindon , defender Michael Rose's fault in not even being able to make the simplest of back passes without setting up Bradley Wright-Phillips for his first goal

To be fair, Charlton with their numerous new signings, played good football and already look like being strong contenders for an automatic promotion place. But they'll certainly meet with stronger tests than a ColU that are lacking in several areas. It could turn out to be a very tough season for the U's.

Huddersfield 3 ColU 2

Not as bad a performance as the final score might indicate - well not according to those who went anyway. But the U's were 2-1 up at one stage and should have been more but for some poor finishing and a dodgy refereeing decision in disallowing an Odajayi goal.

Huddersfield 3 ColU 2

Not as bad a performance as the final score might indicate - well not according to those who went anyway. But the U's were 2-1 up at one stage and should have been more but for some poor finishing and a dodgy refereeing decision in disallowing an Odajayi goal.

Good aye EastSax, you can talk about both your teams on the same thread :D

Shakers are flying biggrin.gif

I drove past their ground yesterday. Not been there for years.

Yeah Bury are doing great, unlike the Mighty Dale. Massive derby at Oldham and lost 2-0

Yeah a few years since i have been to Gigg lane,Ryan Lowe seems to be the reason Bury are doing very well...hope they keep hold of him this season.

Huddersfield 3 ColU 2

Good aye EastSax, you can talk about both your teams on the same thread

I have no interest in the "plastic league" whatsoever. Like many others have opted to support a lower league team by choice, or in some cases non-league. Something I have done since the 70's incidentally, albeit that the U's were then a second team. The erosion begun with the inception of the Premier League.

As you have no interest in the lower league, I can only wonder what motivates you to post here ?

I have no interest in the "plastic league" whatsoever. Like many others have opted to support a lower league team by choice, or in some cases non-league.

I guess it helps to follow a PL team as a springboard for genial conversation at the office (though mine got relegated). Some relaxing lunch table conversations centre on PL performances and news, so having a team gives one a "stake" in those discussions.

I follow a lower league team simply because, as EastSaxCol suggests, PL teams don't represent clubs and districts now so much as "brands", and the kind of money that goes into clubs like Man City and Chelsea destroys any remaining authenticity the teams may have had. The connection between the players and administrators on the on hand and the local supporter and his wife is now wafer thin.

Even lower league clubs are businesses, of course. Being professional they have to be, but the local supporter has much more chance to have his voice heard than someone who follows an EPL club. I followed the NottsCountyMAD fan site very closely during the Munto period and its collapse, followed by the emergence of Ray Trew and his rescue of the club from administration, and it was interesting to see the frequent exchange of views on the site between Ray Trew and the supporters and Mr Trew's honest and open responses to questions. Mrs Trew also became very involved and provided a lighter and more personal perspective on things. I can't see the Abu Dhabi sheiks going on to the Man City site keeping people up to date and answering their questions, allaying their fears, etc.

I'm never going to go back to Nottingham and will probably never see Notts County play again, but following them provides a non-stressful interest and a connection with my childhood. West Ham gives me a hat to wear in lunchtime chat, and I have seen them play, but I have nothing in common with them (other than some similarity between their colours and those of the Brisbane Lions AFL side).

Edited by Xangsamhua

I follow a lower league team simply because, as EastSaxCol suggests, PL teams don't represent clubs and districts now so much as "brands", and the kind of money that goes into clubs like Man City and Chelsea destroys any remaining authenticity the teams may have had. The connection between the players and administrators on the on hand and the local supporter and his wife is now wafer thin.

Yes, I very much agree with this. I cannot envisage myself ever being caught up again in the arrogance of bigger clubs, and sadly often their supporters as well. I'm very happy supporting my little local side with it's friendliness and personal acquaintances. As you say, it's all about buying success nowadays From Blackburn in the early 90's, through to Chelsea and Manchester City now , brings substance to the old Beatle's lyric about not being able to buy love. I love little ColU despite realistically never ever going to achieve anything but perhaps a short foray into the Championship again, or a reasonable Cup run. I remember in the death knells of my affiliation to West Ham during a pre-season game at Ipswich, turning to my mate as the players warmed up and saying "I have absolutely nothing in common with this lot". I have nothing at all left now, not even a passing interest, and as far as football is concerned couldn't be happier.

Edited by EastSaxCol

ColU 4 Oldham 1

From the first attack when the U's scored ,they completely outplayed the opposition. Even the Oldham goal, a penalty which 100% definitely wasn't, might have given Oldham some hope - but forlorn and short-lived it was against a U's team that were impressive in every area on the pitch. Days like today don't come around very often, when you can say that your team beat poor opposition only because they were made to look that way.

County lost again 0-2 to Preston, but you'd think they won from the manager's comments:

"I think the team played much, much better than they did at Sheffield (Wednesday). I thought we were superb to be honest." (BBC report)

"Superb", but they lost 2-0! What's with managers who feel they have to "affirm" their players all the time . Craig Short comes to mind, but he only lasted 13 games.

Why couldn't Martin Allen, the Notts manager, have said that his players held the other side well, but lost concentration and the rest of the plot in the last 10 minutes, allowing Preston to get not just one goal, but two?

The team has to play well for the whole 90+ minutes, not 80-90 minutes. If it doesn't, it's failed - not played "superbly".

Do other managers need to stroke their players' self-esteem all the time, or is it just something that happens when they come to Notts County?