Short Changing At Pattaya Mcdonalds

Lancelot

Bint in McD's asked me for 20 baht in Bangkok about 10 years ago... Silom area I think. Ordered, paid the money, got my change and then she said, "give me 20 baht". Asked her to repeat in case I misunderstood, "give me 20 baht" as bold as brass with her co-workers looking on, to which I replied "get stuffed" :o

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for lancelot I say we take up a collection and buy the poor dear a coupon for a free coffee. No worries Lance, we'll front up for the premium cup :o

My friend is the king of passive-aggressive insults that sound really polite but are really mean.

I was bitching about a couple who held up the line in the supermarket for 5 minutes because the cashier overcharged them by 50 cents. These people were about 40 years old, looked like they had jobs, I was like -- how much is your time worth? Jesus.

My friend suggested next time, I say "oh, you don't have 50 cents? Here." and look really condescending. :D

I was bitching about a couple who held up the line in the supermarket for 5 minutes because the cashier overcharged them by 50 cents. These people were about 40 years old, looked like they had jobs, I was like -- how much is your time worth? Jesus.

I bet that criminals who purposely short-change every cusomer, LOVE having you come rushing to their defence! :o

There is a very good reason that Thailand is listed as one of the most corrupt societies in the world.

Pay attention, spend a few years around here and maybe you'll learn somthing.

"One of the most corrupt societies in the world", you say.

There is only one list worth reading regarding corruption of various nations: "The Transparency International Perceptions Index" here

There doesn't appear to be a 2007 list yet, but according to the 2006 list Thailand is in position 63 - 65 (a 3 way tie) out of 163 nations listed.

Although I don't dispute there is plenty of corruption in Thailand, it's no where near being "one of the most corrupt societies in the world" as you put it.

Such hyperbole really does show where heads such as yours and the OP are. If you've been living in Thailand for many years as you say you have, then it's time to pull you head out of the sand and look around.

You can't defend them so you change the subject. :o

Sounds more like you can't answer a simple question. What are you afraid of? Failed life back home? Bitter because you haven't done any better here?

Moderators should really refrain from acting like a dick.

Even FORMER moderators? :D

OK, lets look at this from another angle: Somebody goes to a McDonalds and orders a hamburger and the waitress delivers a (more expensive) cheesburger. The customer again politely says that he wanted a hamburger. Staff says no way and to pay up for the difference...

You pay when you order at McDonalds, so the customer in your example would be getting bonus a cheese. If the customer wrongly given a cheese burger complained and couldn't handle cheese, then at McDonalds you'll get another burger.

I've had substandard burgers and fries served before, complained and immediately received a replacement.

But thanks for the tip. I'll head to McDonalds some time and try out their gourmet coffee.

On a more important note, I'm gonna see if UG and me can pester the CM McD's (which delivers) enough to get the breakfast menu up here soon. I'll have to keep it down at the TV BBQ, though. Hard to lobby people at a real BBQ to get geared up about McMuffins, as much as I love 'em.
I'm going to bother the McDonald's staff in CM every single day until they came across with the Egg Mcmuffins! :o

Until McBreakfast does establish itself in CM, you guys can recreate your own near-perfect reproduction of the McMuffin by combining these two ingredients yourself:

post-9005-1187323846.jpgpost-9005-1187323856.jpg

the last 3 times i paid at fuji restaurant - emporium branch, i had to send the bill back for correction because it included something which i didn't order - usual excuse an "uller"; but always to the value of 180-200 baht! :D

Some people just seem to have all the bad luck. I've eaten at Fuji probably about 50 times already (all 3 restaurants in Pattaya) and have NEVER been given the wrong change.

It's unlikely a bill would be padded by such a large amount unless it was a geniune mistake....it would be too obvious.

wow, not only are you extremely lucky, but you seem to have all the answers as well...good on ya' :o 200 baht to you may be a "large" amount, but on a check of 2-3,000 it can get quite lost...:D

Edited by Payboy

5 bloody baht are you serious OP i think you need to get real, 500 baht ok most of us would complain but 5 baht you couldn't even exchange that

and i bet you give bigger tips for worse service

Give the OP a break soon that 5 baht will be worth 1 US dollar :o

Such hyperbole really does show where heads such as yours and the OP are. If you've been living in Thailand for many years as you say you have, then it's time to pull you head out of the sand and look around.

I'll go further. It's time this guy pulled his head out of the sand and went home, if he's so frigging miserable. But, as many here suspect, there is nothing for him to go back to, and instead he mopes around, bitter and angry at both Thailand and those farangs who relish there time here.

Cue another boring response suggesting Bendix (Mr Humility) spends more time here before opening his mouth.

Where's the yawn emoticon for a guy who is rapidly becoming thaivisa's most boring git (as he was in a previous life, before being banned).

5 bloody baht are you serious OP i think you need to get real, 500 baht ok most of us would complain but 5 baht you couldn't even exchange that

and i bet you give bigger tips for worse service

Give the OP a break soon that 5 baht will be worth 1 US dollar :D

you are not following the market, or do you? :o

OK, lets look at this from another angle: Somebody goes to a McDonalds and orders a hamburger and the waitress delivers a (more expensive) cheesburger. The customer again politely says that he wanted a hamburger. Staff says no way and to pay up for the difference...

The majority of responders to my OP say that I was wrong and thats cool; we all have opinions. A few even opined that "I hated the Thais" and made references as to the location of my head. Thats another tactic-demonize those with whom you disagree with. Whatever.

Thailand is corrupt and for those who disagree just google "corruption rankings" and see what you find. Your entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts.

You guys can have the last word, you will take it anyway. Some of you joined one year ago and have thousands of posts to your credit.

Knock yourselves out boys :o

:D

So if we want to know if a place is corrupted or not, we just have to go into a Mcdonalds there to see!

Is that called the Mcdonalds' Index? Hey guys! TV has invented a new theory! What's the Mcdonalds' Index like in the US? :D

I am curious. Did you insist on having the regular coffe that was 20 baht and she said no? We won't sell you the regular one!

Does it ever come to your mind that the girl did not even know why there are 2 different kinds of coffee so they just thought it has something to do with the sizes of the cups? Even for me there are so many things I don't understand about farang culture.

Did you ever wonder it was due to the language barrier that they were not able to explain well enough to make you satisfied?

I don't even dare to dine in a farang restaurant for the fact that I am absolutely clueless of how to order food.

And I guess the place you mentioned is a heavy touristy area. And do you know not all farang tourists are what you think that are honest people? Do you think it is a rare thing for a farang to try to cheat?

That fact that you try to link this incident to the corruptedness of thailand just proves the about of prejudice you have.

And that is almost hilarious if not stupid!

You can't defend them so you change the subject. :D

Sounds more like you can't answer a simple question. What are you afraid of? Failed life back home? Bitter because you haven't done any better here?

None of us have said corruption doesn't exist in Thailand, we just don't tar them all with the same brush.

As for lancelot I say we take up a collection and buy the poor dear a coupon for a free coffee. No worries Lance, we'll front up for the premium cup :o

I will give out 10 baht and the rest is yours.

My friend is the king of passive-aggressive insults that sound really polite but are really mean.

My friend suggested next time, I say "oh, you don't have 50 cents? Here." and look really condescending. :D

May I ask if it was in Canada or Thailand? Now don't tell me even Canada is a corrupted country!

You can't defend them so you change the subject. :o

Moderators should really refrain from acting like a dick.

Mom!!!! The fly is on my food again!!!!

There is a very good reason that Thailand is listed as one of the most corrupt societies in the world.

Pay attention, spend a few years around here and maybe you'll learn somthing.

"One of the most corrupt societies in the world", you say.

There is only one list worth reading regarding corruption of various nations: "The Transparency International Perceptions Index" here

There doesn't appear to be a 2007 list yet, but according to the 2006 list Thailand is in position 63 - 65 (a 3 way tie) out of 163 nations listed.

Although I don't dispute there is plenty of corruption in Thailand, it's no where near being "one of the most corrupt societies in the world" as you put it.

I'm afraid I would trust the Mcdonalds' Index more.

I don't give much credence to that index (corruption index, not McDonald's index :o) either, but there's been 2 references in this thread that Thailand is "one of the most corrupt countries (societies)" on earth, and even an invitation to Google for a corruption list.

This is the only list that I could ever find that had some semblance of reality about it. At least they're honest when they call it "corruption perception" rather than a factual representation which of course is impossible to quantify.

Although we all know that corruption exists in Thailand, petty dishonestly by shop staff in any country has nothing to do with corruption. It's quite a common thing in most countries and it's human nature (greed) when low paid employees work in some mundane job in a store/restaurant and have access to cash. It's a regular hobby for shop staff in Australia which is considered amongst the least corrupt countries on earth. It's up to the shop owners to tackle these problems.

If anyone needs a good indicator of how honest Westerners are, ask some major retailers about how much stock they lose to shoplifting every year.

But I digress here. This thread was really about misunderstanding, not dishonesty.

I'll go further. It's time this guy pulled his head out of the sand and went home, if he's so frigging miserable. But, as many here suspect, there is nothing for him to go back to, and instead he mopes around, bitter and angry at both Thailand and those farangs who relish there time here.

Cue another boring response suggesting Bendix (Mr Humility) spends more time here before opening his mouth.

Where's the yawn emoticon for a guy who is rapidly becoming thaivisa's most boring git (as he was in a previous life, before being banned).

Agree with you Bendix.

I still can't believe that we have now had 9 pages discussing a 5bht overcharge on a MuckyD's coffee and how it proves that Thailand is corrupt.

I'm not going to utter those famous words yet, but if you don't like it.............you know the rest :o

Edited by mrtoad

I don't give much credence to that index (corruption index, not McDonald's index :o) either, but there's been 2 references in this thread that Thailand is "one of the most corrupt countries (societies)" on earth, and even an invitation to Google for a corruption list.

This is the only list that I could ever find that had some semblance of reality about it. At least they're honest when they call it "corruption perception" rather than a factual representation which of course is impossible to quantify.

Although we all know that corruption exists in Thailand, petty dishonestly by shop staff in any country has nothing to do with corruption. It's quite a common thing in most countries and it's human nature (greed) when low paid employees work in some mundane job in a store/restaurant and have access to cash. It's a regular hobby for shop staff in Australia which is considered amongst the least corrupt countries on earth. It's up to the shop owners to tackle these problems.

If anyone needs a good indicator of how honest Westerners are, ask some major retailers about how much stock they lose to shoplifting every year.

But I digress here. This thread was really about misunderstanding, not dishonesty.

:D