Short Changing At Pattaya Mcdonalds

Lancelot

I have never been shortchanged at an established chain type store in Thailand. Not once. I mostly have issues with casual restaurants, when there are issues, and then it is usually over overcharging games. I don't think its that all that bad, even in Pattaya. A minor annoyance at most. And you can't accuse me of being a rose colored glasses kind of guy, thats for sure.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually i thought he wasnt short changed but was given the 'gormet coffee' instead of the regular. so this is thread about getting the wrong type of coffee in a mcdonalds. nice 1 :o

To the “we-b-thai” faction

yes yes we know. u-b-farang. enjoy.

eating complete junk in a country filled with delicious, fresh food

I know, those Thais are strange people sometimes.

However, McDonalds Sausage and Egg McMuffin, hash broon and cup of tea deficates on any Thai excuse for breakfast I've ever eaten from a great height.

I guess you haven't had freshly made and tasty Jok soup yet in the morning from one of the famous places in BKK?

Jok will do if there are no Micky D's around. I like Kow Tom too, but I'm not getting exited about Thai food for breakfast. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

IF you know going into the game you have to watch your baht 24/7, never believe a thing out of their mouths, and don't ever take the old stand by "mai-bphen-rai" as an excuse for anything, you can live here relatively trouble free.

I freely admit I am not enchanted by, enamored with, or endeared to this 'culture' of Borg-like sock-puppets in spiffy color-coordinating shirts. I am going on my third year here and in no danger of EVER thinking anything of the sort about the natives that inhabit this country. I think to the best of my knowledge that puts me firmly NOT in the 'we-b-thai' camp nor wearing their ever present rose colored glasses.

In other news; I was short changed at Tesco the other day by exactly 500baht. I got the usual brainless stare when I said in thai the change was not correct. I was also holding the receipt and the change in my hand. I asked for the manager; received more blank stares, with the cashier throwing expectant looks at the people waiting in line behind me. As I wouldn't leave the register she finally got the line manager to come over. I explained the problem, again in thai, and she begrudgingly ran the tape on the register, counted the till. Low & behold there was my 500 baht change IN the register. Did she apologize? She spoke not a single word, gave me not a glance at me, just handed me the 500baht and left the register. That is typical for catching people in mistakes here, the ever popular 'face-saving' routine. I just stick to my guns, and make them do what I want. I never raise my voice, never show emotion on my face, but speak very direct, very abrupt thai, leaving out any polite particles, or hypothetical words in what I say.

Speaking thai helps alleviate a lot of issues, but it is far from the life changing free pass to inter-species communication I thought it would be. Often I'll force them to speak english and listen to the thai banter between them before responding to the now group of workers babbling in thai. Mostly to cause them consternation when they realize I can understand, but often to just see what they say when they think they can hide behind their language.

NEVER EVER hesitate to make someone whose job is taking your money to focus on actually doing their job here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais". I am sure in tourist areas the rip offs are higher, and adding alcohol into the mix only worsens the chances of that happening.

To the "we-b-thai" faction, who say it was ONLY 5 baht, seeing as it was NOT your money, pray tell where do you suggest the line should be drawn? Wait, let me guess, the poorly educated, poorly paid, impoverished people in this pissant developing third world country need all the help they can get. Of course, let's allow them steal from us too.

Oh my god, you're my fracking hero.

Damian

However, McDonalds Sausage and Egg McMuffin, hash broon and cup of tea deficates on any Thai excuse for breakfast I've ever eaten from a great height.

I guess you haven't had freshly made and tasty Jok soup yet in the morning from one of the famous places in BKK?

Jok is amazing! I make it at home here, but it's not the same.

What are your famous places inh BKK, chinthee?

Jok is amazing! I make it at home here, but it's not the same.

What are your famous places inh BKK, chinthee?

Well, I expect to be paid for this, but I'll let it slide just this once...three great places for Jok I know:

1) Sam Yan, or to be more precise about a block up from Rama 4 on Phaya Thai, there is the most famous Jok place (shophouse) in Bangkok, something like 3 generations. However, IMO, not the best.

2) Suan Plu, which is the soi of the main immigration office in Bangkok, on about subsoi 6, you can get it from a street vendor, excellent. And, the best:

3) Another street vendor, south of soi ngam du pree, before you get to the civil aviation authority, a great lady street vendor.

I know these are difficult to find. PM me and I'll give you more directions.

Hours: Sam Yan about 2Am to 9AM. Others, about 6AM to 9AM.

the last 3 times i paid at fuji restaurant - emporium branch, i had to send the bill back for correction because it included something which i didn't order - usual excuse an "uller"; but always to the value of 180-200 baht! :o

Some people just seem to have all the bad luck. I've eaten at Fuji probably about 50 times already (all 3 restaurants in Pattaya) and have NEVER been given the wrong change.

It's unlikely a bill would be padded by such a large amount unless it was a geniune mistake....it would be too obvious.

This forum is definitely not a mode of free speach, much like Thailand itself.

Say what you like on this forum (within the rules of course), but don't expect a cheer squad if you say stupid things.

The OP is making assertions that Thailand is a very corrupt country because he ordered the wrong coffee which cost an extra 5 baht (US $0.15). I'm suprised he hasn't been given more flak over it.

Edited by tropo

IF you know going into the game you have to watch your baht 24/7, never believe a thing out of their mouths, and don't ever take the old stand by "mai-bphen-rai" as an excuse for anything, you can live here relatively trouble free.

I freely admit I am not enchanted by, enamored with, or endeared to this 'culture' of Borg-like sock-puppets in spiffy color-coordinating shirts. I am going on my third year here and in no danger of EVER thinking anything of the sort about the natives that inhabit this country. I think to the best of my knowledge that puts me firmly NOT in the 'we-b-thai' camp nor wearing their ever present rose colored glasses.

In other news; I was short changed at Tesco the other day by exactly 500baht. I got the usual brainless stare when I said in thai the change was not correct. I was also holding the receipt and the change in my hand. I asked for the manager; received more blank stares, with the cashier throwing expectant looks at the people waiting in line behind me. As I wouldn't leave the register she finally got the line manager to come over. I explained the problem, again in thai, and she begrudgingly ran the tape on the register, counted the till. Low & behold there was my 500 baht change IN the register. Did she apologize? She spoke not a single word, gave me not a glance at me, just handed me the 500baht and left the register. That is typical for catching people in mistakes here, the ever popular 'face-saving' routine. I just stick to my guns, and make them do what I want. I never raise my voice, never show emotion on my face, but speak very direct, very abrupt thai, leaving out any polite particles, or hypothetical words in what I say.

Speaking thai helps alleviate a lot of issues, but it is far from the life changing free pass to inter-species communication I thought it would be. Often I'll force them to speak english and listen to the thai banter between them before responding to the now group of workers babbling in thai. Mostly to cause them consternation when they realize I can understand, but often to just see what they say when they think they can hide behind their language.

NEVER EVER hesitate to make someone whose job is taking your money to focus on actually doing their job here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais". I am sure in tourist areas the rip offs are higher, and adding alcohol into the mix only worsens the chances of that happening.

To the “we-b-thai” faction, who say it was ONLY 5 baht, seeing as it was NOT your money, pray tell where do you suggest the line should be drawn? Wait, let me guess, the poorly educated, poorly paid, impoverished people in this pissant developing third world country need all the help they can get. Of course, let's allow them steal from us too.

That's a great speech, but you should have read the OP's post first.

There was no overcharging, only a misunderstanding over which coffee he was purchasing.

"Where should the line be drawn"? Definitely a long way above 5 baht.

This forum is definitely not a mode of free speach, much like Thailand itself.

Say what you like on this forum (within the rules of course), but don't expect a cheer squad if you say stupid things.

The OP is making assertions that Thailand is a very corrupt country because he ordered the wrong coffee which cost an extra 5 baht (US $0.15). I'm suprised he hasn't been given more flak over it.

perhaps because one pities chaps like him?

Morals, ethics and shame are not Thai traits.

Just the way it is.

It must be really depressing to be you, but I hope you find happiness one day.

Just out of interest, how much did she take you for?

The new kid spreading his wisdom.

Like I said before Bendix(Mr Humility). You need to get some experience around here before lecturing us.

I remember my first trip here. I was ripped off, day and nite, didn't even know it and had a great time.

There is a very good reason that Thailand is listed as one of the most corrupt societies in the world.

Pay attention, spend a few years around here and maybe you'll learn somthing.

Just the way it is.

You aren't meeting the right Thais then.

Been here a long time cdnvic, been in business, married, have lots of experiences with Thais. More than most I assume.

I've met thousands. The list of Thai I consider trustworthy is very small.

Just the way it is.

Been here a long time cdnvic, been in business, married, have lots of experiences with Thais. More than most I assume.

Why would you stay in a country like that?

Just the way it is.

Why would you stay in a country like that?

What percentage of Thais do you think have high moral standards?

Better yet, ask some Thais if they feel locals are trustworthy.

Edited by UnknownPoster

On a more important note, I'm gonna see if UG and me can pester the CM McD's (which delivers) enough to get the breakfast menu up here soon. I'll have to keep it down at the TV BBQ, though. Hard to lobby people at a real BBQ to get geared up about McMuffins, as much as I love 'em.

It has everything to do with what you are dribbling about, most of us here have a high regard for the people we interact with within our community, if you have such a low regard for the people you are surrounded by, maybe you should look towards pasture greener...?

Well, I expect to be paid for this, but I'll let it slide just this once...three great places for Jok I know:

1) Sam Yan, or to be more precise about a block up from Rama 4 on Phaya Thai, there is the most famous Jok place (shophouse) in Bangkok, something like 3 generations. However, IMO, not the best.

2) Suan Plu, which is the soi of the main immigration office in Bangkok, on about subsoi 6, you can get it from a street vendor, excellent. And, the best:

3) Another street vendor, south of soi ngam du pree, before you get to the civil aviation authority, a great lady street vendor.

I know these are difficult to find. PM me and I'll give you more directions.

Hours: Sam Yan about 2Am to 9AM. Others, about 6AM to 9AM.

Thanks for the info chinthee! PM sent. I'm a hideous food snob, so I know what it means to reveal your favorite spots! :o Will treat them with care.

Jok was one of the first Thai dishes I had in BKK (yeah, yeah, I know it's mostly Chinese) when I started getting over my "omg, everything is going to give me food poisoning!" shock, so it's dear to my heart.

-CG

Why would you stay in a country, and carry on a business where people can't be trusted, and why are you so afraid to answer the question?

You can't defend them so you change the subject. :o

Where I stay has nothing to do with being shortchanged at McDonalds.

I guess you guys from the MTV generation have short attention spans? Stick to the topic.

Like I said, ask some Thais if they feel their fellow man is trustworthy.

That's all.

Don't take my word for it.

OK, lets look at this from another angle: Somebody goes to a McDonalds and orders a hamburger and the waitress delivers a (more expensive) cheesburger. The customer again politely says that he wanted a hamburger. Staff says no way and to pay up for the difference...

The majority of responders to my OP say that I was wrong and thats cool; we all have opinions. A few even opined that "I hated the Thais" and made references as to the location of my head. Thats another tactic-demonize those with whom you disagree with. Whatever.

Thailand is corrupt and for those who disagree just google "corruption rankings" and see what you find. Your entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts.

You guys can have the last word, you will take it anyway. Some of you joined one year ago and have thousands of posts to your credit.

Knock yourselves out boys :o

Edited by Lancelot

You can't defend them so you change the subject. :D

Sounds more like you can't answer a simple question. What are you afraid of? Failed life back home? Bitter because you haven't done any better here?

None of us have said corruption doesn't exist in Thailand, we just don't tar them all with the same brush.

As for lancelot I say we take up a collection and buy the poor dear a coupon for a free coffee. No worries Lance, we'll front up for the premium cup :o