Can You Touch Type?

garro

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country."

That's the warm up phrase I was taught when touch typing.

I can and do--about 120 words per minute.

The funny thing is, if I am looking for a key on a keyboard, I can't find it. I only know touch typing. Had a fantastic, fanatical and mean teacher--he used to walk around with a wooden stick and if he saw anybody look at the keyboard they got wacked.

I don't think I ever looked a keyboard.

Not that I don't believe you, but only some extremely advanced typists can type that fast. You'd have to be a career typist to attain those speeds.

A sustained typing speed of 150 wpm (50 minutes) is a world record.

I did work as a clerk/typist for a gov't agency for quite a while. Had the award for the fast typist in my State. At that time, typing test were given for 5 or 10 minutes tests, with a deduction of 5 words for every typo, up to a miximum of 5 typos--at 5 typos that was the end of the counting, anything past that didn't matter.

It's been a long time since I've taken a speed test, but I'm still extremely comfortable at the keyboard and have no problem in typing as fast as people talk. I also know shorthand, but I don't use it much anymore and I can still take dictation very fast, but I have trouble reading it back unless I do so pretty quickly after a meeting. A week or so later, it's pretty much useless.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I touch type however I have alter my style away from the home keys to a more of a floating style. I still average around 60wpm as tested on the previous link to typingtest.com - good link that.

I've touch typed for about nigh on 20 years and kinds of just do it without having to think about it. Whenever I make a typo I know and often I'll be hitting the backspace as immediately after the incorrect character.

Just one of those things I take for granted - give me a keyboard and I'll type, although I get incredibly annoyed when I am on a non-english based keyboard when they have the @ sign or " in different places. My fingers instinctively reach for them but something else appears . . .. :o

Yes, I can touch-type.

I suspect you must be a either a very quick fingered individual or a prolific TV poster as you have more posts than me and you've only been a TV member since the beginning of this year.

Don't forget though that 'true' touch typing is when you don't have to look at the keyboard once while typing :o

This post has been edited by JimsKnight: Today, 2007-08-17 04:27:32

Hope that wasn't because of a 'typo'... :D

• 1 month later...

Well I have spent the last few weeks learning to touch type and now use it almost exclusively, except when I'm holding my crying son. I remember a few other people in the thread saying they were going to learn. How are you guys getting on.

I can touch type in English, probably due to working as a computer programmer for 24 years.

Today however I sent my very first email in Thai. I think I managed roughly 10 words per hour..... Why doesn't the keyboard list the characters in the order I learnt them?

I don't think computers are advanced enough yet to work out the order that you learnt the Thai alphabet and rearrange the keyboard to suit this. :o

It would probably involve some type of mind reading technology.

If I'm wrong please tell me about the software.

I can touch type in English, probably due to working as a computer programmer for 24 years.

Today however I sent my very first email in Thai. I think I managed roughly 10 words per hour..... Why doesn't the keyboard list the characters in the order I learnt them?

I don't think computers are advanced enough yet to work out the order that you learnt the Thai alphabet and rearrange the keyboard to suit this. :o

It would probably involve some type of mind reading technology.

If I'm wrong please tell me about the software.

Better lay off the mind reading technology or I'll be having a visit from the boys in brown.

What you want is one of these, but in Thai:

abc-keyboard2.jpg

:o

Edited by JetsetBkk