Does Anybody Like/love Their Job?

Its a dream come true to get the perfect job, you study hard, train hard, but the question is, are you really happy with your job? We all know money doesn't grow on trees, but life is too short, how to get the perfect job?

To live in Thailand is not an easy task when talking about salaries, but the cost of living is cheaper than many other Asian countries, I would love to live in LOS but opportunities are narrowed to a few things.

So, whats your perfect job, and how do you go about it?

Most days I go down to the pier take my speedboat with some nice customers and go diving, snorkling or fishing. If there are no customers or Im not needed then I jump on my bike and go for a ride through the mountains It certainly beats getting up at 5-30 getting a bus then a tube then walking to work where I spent 10 hours working to repeat the journey home getting in at 7-30-8-00pm. I may not earn the big bucks here like in London but my life is soooo much better :o

Picture of another hard day at the office :D

post-24982-1187316185_thumb.jpg

Entry-level salaries for university graduates in Thailand are generally on the low side, especially when converted into foreign currencies. However, food and housing are relatively inexpensive, especially compared with some of Thailand’s South-East Asian neighbours (i.e. Hong Kong and Singapore).

Approximate monthly salaries are as follows:

• hotel/restaurant employee: 5k Baht
  • entry-level administrative position: 10k Baht
  • government employee: 10k Baht
  • teacher of English as a second language: 20k Baht
  • sales/marketing executive: 20k Baht
  • financial services executive: 20k Baht
  • engineer: 25k Baht
  • manager: 40k Baht
  • director: 56K Baht. :o

to be honest .. iam really bad in "be staff" (no matter where on this world)

but special in thailand Words like "workflow, position, management, cost effectivity" and the "work itself" become a New definition ...

most of the ones in the list make me not really feel well.

peoples either a number in the company system .. (does not care anything exept the position in it)

or just wait until its finally friday ...

in Germany at the projects i managed .. i told the staff that incoming customers .. pay the salerys (the manager not doing this, no customer = no salery) ..

peoples at least get this hint ...

in thailand this is totally hopeless.

peoples are so damm busy with "be busy" .. and care the position they have ..

even cutting salerys (penalits) are not really working out .. as long they keep the position.

Walk 2 Soi's is just a impossible task or take hours ...

things liek this ...

but this is a thing you baasicly can live with .. as you choose the destination country yourself ..

and have (somehow to accept and respect the things happening here)

BUT .. then some Farang .. (maybe too long here already) make rules .. with no sense at all ..

Micromanage things .. until time is running backwards ... thats a thing i canot accept at all.

i had 2 Projects already in the end they went not successfull as some "position horny ones" systematic take out almost every breath the project have ...

even its the final call ... they not get the point that with actions like this ... they cut the tree they also sitting on ...

almost every day i read/hear Storys matchin exactly my experiences.

however ... thailand is a great country ...

all you need in your company is 1 (ONE) Smart person (secretary .. not manager)

runns the show ... know customers ... know to talk .. and (most important) not cheat on you ;-)

and everything is going smooth ... ;-)

just my sight .... so going to CAT now .. (fix the server myself) .. ;-)

but special in thailand Words like "workflow, position, management, cost effectivity" and the "work itself" become a New definition ...

peoples either a number in the company system .. (does not care anything exept the position in it)

in Germany at the projects i managed .. i told the staff that incoming customers .. pay the salerys (the manager not doing this, no customer = no salery) ..

even cutting salerys (penalits) are not really working out .. as long they keep the position.

things liek this ...

but this is a thing you baasicly can live with .. as you choose the destination country yourself ..

BUT .. then some Farang .. (maybe too long here already) make rules .. with no sense at all ..

Micromanage things .. until time is running backwards ... thats a thing i canot accept at all.

i had 2 Projects already in the end they went not successfull as some "position horny ones" systematic take out almost every breath the project have ...

even its the final call ... they not get the point that with actions like this ... they cut the tree they also sitting on ...

runns the show ... know customers ... know to talk .. and (most important) not cheat on you ;-)

English a little from perfect..but what a lot of truth...However when a company contracts out to thai worker...wow that can be bad news for householder

Entry-level salaries for university graduates in Thailand are generally on the low side, especially when converted into foreign currencies. However, food and housing are relatively inexpensive, especially compared with some of Thailand's South-East Asian neighbours (i.e. Hong Kong and Singapore).

Approximate monthly salaries are as follows:

• hotel/restaurant employee: 5k Baht
  • entry-level administrative position: 10k Baht
  • government employee: 10k Baht
  • teacher of English as a second language: 20k Baht
  • sales/marketing executive: 20k Baht
  • financial services executive: 20k Baht
  • engineer: 25k Baht
  • manager: 40k Baht
  • director: 56K Baht. :o

Interesting figures -

I know our salaries reflect demand in the industry plus we need people excellent english skills (all educated overseas) but we do start our new graduates on at least 40K if not higher - they also incrase quite quickly.

They do work closely with other colleagues throughout Asia and while there is some disparity the Thai's are not at the bottom.

People think Singapore is highly paid but for locals in ordinary jobs its actually not - 2000 SGD for a secretary and our trainee's here on probably just a little over that.

Then the money looks quite similar!

things liek this ...

I am with you - Thailand is great to visit but not too work full time.

I have three visits for work coming up in the next couple of months and I will enjoy it but I really would be based full time where I am now in Singapore. No hassle getting about - things happen when you ask for them, not having to be on guard for rip off's constantly.

ballbreaker - spot on . thats the way to do it. PLenty of money to be made in the real world ( particularly in London ) for 4 - 6 months max. Then back to Thailand where the livings cheap and easy. I have a small business in Thailand as well , but its just a bit of fun . Thats all i aim for .

Hate my job, but earn huge wodges of cash from it.

The more I work, the sooner I can retire.

give me job sir burr please, :o

Any job is perfect as long as you enjoy it , you spend a massive part of your life doing it , so your job should be what you enjoy,

hotel/restaurant employee: 5k Baht

entry-level administrative position: 10k Baht

government employee: 10k Baht

teacher of English as a second language: 20k Baht

sales/marketing executive: 20k Baht

financial services executive: 20k Baht

engineer: 25k Baht

manager: 40k Baht

director: 56K Baht.

In my opinion your numbers for the higher positions are a bit off.

Country Sales manager in my company: 100.000

Area sales manager: 50.000

Finance controller: up to 100.000

Product manager: 40-60.000

Director/profit center leader 150.00 and up

I love my job but have some serious problems/frustrations with some egotrippers in my company that are in a constant state of denial and do not have a clue what is happening outside their cubicles/offices and that are in their position because they went up further then their elbow....

Funny is when you are in meetings and ask them questions that you know they cannot answer, ha ha ha .

Yes I know some of those people hate me, but I do not care, I know they only last a few years.

hotel/restaurant employee: 5k Baht

entry-level administrative position: 10k Baht

government employee: 10k Baht

teacher of English as a second language: 20k Baht

sales/marketing executive: 20k Baht

financial services executive: 20k Baht

engineer: 25k Baht

manager: 40k Baht

director: 56K Baht.

In my opinion your numbers for the higher positions are a bit off.

Country Sales manager in my company: 100.000

Area sales manager: 50.000

Finance controller: up to 100.000

Product manager: 40-60.000

Director/profit center leader 150.00 and up

[...]

Interesting to see those numbers. I wonder if anyone has the figures for university teachers in Thailand. I am thinking about the average salary for faculty members in general including assistant professors, associate professors and professors.

I love my job here in Thailand, as I do the same thing I did back in America, at about the same money, with a lot more fun and interesting people. There's more time off for golf and more laughs with mates after work here.

Admittedly, I got pretty danmed lucky, as it fell in my lap.

Dr. B

Edited by Dr. Burrito

things liek this ...

I am with you - Thailand is great to visit but not too work full time.

I have three visits for work coming up in the next couple of months and I will enjoy it but I really would be based full time where I am now in Singapore. No hassle getting about - things happen when you ask for them, not having to be on guard for rip off's constantly.

From the perspective of an internet job search jobs in Thailand are few and far between. I don't know if the situation changes when you are on the ground. From the same perspective Singapore has way more jobs. I'm planning to go to Singapore January of 08 and try to find a job. It's not quite Living la vida LOS but given the higher earning potential I think it's a better decision for me.

I would like to work in Thailand or live in Thailand & transit to work Mon-Fri in China.

I am shovelling here in the UK ,until the opportunity arises!

However in reality ,I would consider what my wife want and children want ,friends,convenience ,the nightmare of moving!

Easier to win the Lotto & vacation all the time !

:o Wiley Coyote

Its a dream come true to get the perfect job, you study hard, train hard, but the question is, are you really happy with your job? We all know money doesn't grow on trees, but life is too short, how to get the perfect job?

To live in Thailand is not an easy task when talking about salaries, but the cost of living is cheaper than many other Asian countries, I would love to live in LOS but opportunities are narrowed to a few things.

So, whats your perfect job, and how do you go about it?

Most succesful people I've known had to ruffle some feathers and put having fun at work on the back burner. The employees laughing it up and enjoyng themselfs are the ones that rarely get promoted. Oh sure, they might kiss the right ass and get promoted, but usually they are exposed quickly.

Eventually with some luck and hard work you find yourself in a challenging possition that pays well. My advice, work hard so you can enjoy not working. Currently I'm in a job that I enjoy and challenges me most days. I consider myself luckier than most and I know few work harder than me. Can't wait though for the day I don't need to come into work.

I'm not sure that I entirely agree with SiamAmerican, I think it depends on the kind of organization you work in and the work you do.

I love my job, it is intellectually demanding, offers great travel opportunities, first class pay and conditions but there is still plenty of fun to be had in the office – I put this down to the fact that the company have recruited the right people and values the people we have.

I recently worked on a joint venture with A.N.Other company in the same business and found their management style to be hard nosed (more than eager to ruffle feathers) but in no way more effective.

That said we often lament that passing of the ‘Characters’ this industry used to have in abundance – maybe we are all getting a bit too ‘Corporate’ these days.

At a pre-assignment Client interview a few months back I was asked why I have stayed so many years with the company I work for – My answer is simple ‘It’s the people in the company’.

As for how do you get the perfect job?

I think you have to choose something that suits your temperament and personal needs (Know yourself first) – Trying to fit into an organization/job that doesn’t suit your personality is never going to bring happiness, or I would argue success.

If the job suits you and you suit the job you can easily have both worlds – Productive work and a relaxed attitude to life at work.

I'm not sure that I entirely agree with SiamAmerican, I think it depends on the kind of organization you work in and the work you do.

I love my job, it is intellectually demanding, offers great travel opportunities, first class pay and conditions but there is still plenty of fun to be had in the office – I put this down to the fact that the company have recruited the right people and values the people we have.

I recently worked on a joint venture with A.N.Other company in the same business and found their management style to be hard nosed (more than eager to ruffle feathers) but in no way more effective.

That said we often lament that passing of the ‘Characters’ this industry used to have in abundance – maybe we are all getting a bit too ‘Corporate’ these days.

At a pre-assignment Client interview a few months back I was asked why I have stayed so many years with the company I work for – My answer is simple ‘It’s the people in the company’.

As for how do you get the perfect job?

I think you have to choose something that suits your temperament and personal needs (Know yourself first) – Trying to fit into an organization/job that doesn’t suit your personality is never going to bring happiness, or I would argue success.

If the job suits you and you suit the job you can easily have both worlds – Productive work and a relaxed attitude to life at work.

I agree. My post was just a generalization. I enjoy my job and the people I work with as a whole. I'm a little frustrated at the moment with some individuals that indirectly report to me. I guess that frustration came out in my post. I was trying to make the point that if you do little and expect to be rewarded, it usually doesn't happen. Nothing wrong with enjoying your job.

I love my job here in Thailand, as I do the same thing I did back in America, at about the same money, with a lot more fun and interesting people. There's more time off for golf and more laughs with mates after work here.

Admittedly, I got pretty danmed lucky, as it fell in my lap.

Dr. B

:o

tH