Would You Be Concerned If....

Brilliant TP, you and Mrs TP must be v relieved :D

Thanks JoJo...we are...its been a millstone round our necks for the last 2 weeks and now its over Thank God.

Don't think they will sneak back Crossy, the Govt Official said that he has seen the potential for damage and if the contractor went ahead he would personally be responsible.

Its cheaper for him to have the holes dug manually than to risk a 1m baht lawsuit, when the Government are our witnesses. :o

We'll toss the diggers over a few sandwiches to make it easier on them :D

Wonderful outcome TP. Congratulations on using the system here. While quite a trial, I'm sure, I'll bet you learned a lot and will be that much more prepared for whatever battles the future may hold.

also gives the rest of us some direction should anything like this happens to us,

well done TP

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the case that I referred to there was no argument and no negotiating. The contractor accepted the responsibility and made the repairs better than was expected. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Took them a whole day to move the pledriver...but its now gone.

Thanks to all the folks that gave me advice as to how to relove this issue

TP

First you get a check back from a developer of a Bangkok condo because they didn't deliver your condo on time. Then you get this developer to dismantle their pile driver. Who do you think you are? Batman?

Congratulations on a job well done! You bring hope to the rest of us fighting against the TIT attitude.

Took them a whole day to move the pledriver...but its now gone.

Thanks to all the folks that gave me advice as to how to relove this issue

TP

First you get a check back from a developer of a Bangkok condo because they didn't deliver your condo on time. Then you get this developer to dismantle their pile driver. Who do you think you are? Batman?

Congratulations on a job well done! You bring hope to the rest of us fighting against the TIT attitude.

Me Batman :D

I don't think so.

Its just a question of standing up for whats right and not being trampled on as you say.

In fact the Government Engineer came back today and said that we were now indemnified for anything that happens to our house as a result of L & H building next door...I really could not believe it...he spent an hour here taking pictures of the house and garden as it is

now so its all on record

Wicked :D

and totally unexpected.

You would not get that kind of treatment from your localauthority in the UK for sure :o

In a rental house, I face the prospect of the back 1/3 falling into a massive hole than enlarges every time we have a gully-washer rainstorm. I've been warning the owner about this for two years now (and have manually filled in the hole myself at least twice). The owner just gets that "glazed-over" look in his eyes when I continue to mention it. I've decided to stop filling in the hole, and just stay out of the back half of the house during rainstorms!

Too many of us (myself included) tend to throw up our hands with a "TIT" (This is Thailand), when faced with knotty problems such as yours and mine.

Thanks for bringing your blow-by-blow account to TV. It's an encouragement to us all.

In Bangkok, Pile Drivers are no longer authorized, you have to use the drilling method, to prevent damage to existing building.

I don't think this is accurate? I see pile driving going on all the time in my neighborhood (Ratchada). (Unless they are all breaking the law?)

I wouldn't worry about structural damage from the pile driver, but plaster is guaranteed to create some cracks at 10m. Shoddy construction will show through if the pile driving lasts very long.

The pool is an interesting one-- does it have proper reinforcement (15 cm square welded wire mesh), and do you know how thick the slab is? How deep is the pool? Having it full with water may dampen the forces somewhat, depending on a number of factors. Most of the transmitted energy is in vertical motion, which might save the pool.

If this was in the US, you would install a vibration meter on your property line with the contractor and record vibration levels. There is an ISO standard on acceptable levels of construction vibration relative to damage of finishings and human comfort which I think I can dig up an excerpt from if you really want it.

I wouldn't worry about structural damage from the pile driver, but plaster is guaranteed to create some cracks at 10m. Shoddy construction will show through if the pile driving lasts very long.

The pool is an interesting one-- does it have proper reinforcement (15 cm square welded wire mesh), and do you know how thick the slab is? How deep is the pool? Having it full with water may dampen the forces somewhat, depending on a number of factors. Most of the transmitted energy is in vertical motion, which might save the pool.

If this was in the US, you would install a vibration meter on your property line with the contractor and record vibration levels. There is an ISO standard on acceptable levels of construction vibration relative to damage of finishings and human comfort which I think I can dig up an excerpt from if you really want it.

Does not really matter now..they have packed up and left, but thanks for your imput, all advice is always appreciated, thats what this board is about.

Cheers

TP

In Bangkok, Pile Drivers are no longer authorized, you have to use the drilling method, to prevent damage to existing building.

I don't think this is accurate? I see pile driving going on all the time in my neighborhood (Ratchada). (Unless they are all breaking the law?)

The restriction may not be as wide as just "Bangkok" ... but the info comes from someone in the industry.

20060120-DSC00820-SMALL.JPG

The restriction may not be as wide as just "Bangkok" ... but the info comes from someone in the industry.

20060120-DSC00820-SMALL.JPG

Thats exactly like the one we had a metre from our wall, looks like it has a 4.7 ton weight on it a well

Frightening things :o

Since we informed the contractors no pile driving will be allowed due to the potential damage this is the technique they are using now. Even with this being 30 to 40 meters away I can feel the vibrations in my desk and the windows rattling some. Hate to think what it would be like with a full blown driver.

post-566-1188462989_thumb.jpg