No More Difference Between Onshore And Offshore Rate

Has anyone noticed, there is no longer a difference between onshore and offshore rate in thailand? This has been so over the last 48 hours. Can someone please explain what is happening?

I am guessing it has to do with the Global correction. The thai baht has fallen in value dramtically.

I am converting Aussie dollars to THB. The offshore rate is now more favourable, whereas a week ago, the onshore rate was about 10% better!!

Has anyone noticed, there is no longer a difference between onshore and offshore rate in thailand? This has been so over the last 48 hours. Can someone please explain what is happening?

I am guessing it has to do with the Global correction. The thai baht has fallen in value dramtically.

I am converting Aussie dollars to THB. The offshore rate is now more favourable, whereas a week ago, the onshore rate was about 10% better!!

If there is no longer difference, how can you say the offshore rate in Australia now represents a better deal? Slightly contradictory?

relative ain't it , current spread looks to be about two satang ...............................................

thats lots of freight in your rarefied air sir :D

not so much for us at the coal face ..................................... :o

If there is no longer difference, how can you say the offshore rate in Australia now represents a better deal? Slightly contradictory?

a difference of ~3.5% still exists.

not according to XE v's KT...

The rates on xe.com are “live middle-market rates”. Your Australian bank, on the other hand, uses two rates: one for buying Baht and one for selling Baht. Do have a link to the exchange rates of your Australian bank?

--

Maestro

I dont know why people look at these currency converters the rates suck .

Look up rates converting Sterling into Thai baht and these guys show 65 i have sent money to Thailand this last two weeks and its been converted above 68 .

Only place i look for a rate is online Thai bank .

JB

people look at the offshore rate because...

even after several months of discussions they have not grasped that the offshore rate is irrelevant for them.

edited for grammar

Edited by Dr. Naam

I dont know why people look at these currency converters the rates suck .

Look up rates converting Sterling into Thai baht and these guys show 65 i have sent money to Thailand this last two weeks and its been converted above 68 .

Only place i look for a rate is online Thai bank .

JB

They didn't used to suck, at least not for US $. Xe.com used to be the most accurate rate for my ATM withdrawals and it was barely different than say Bangkok Bank's rate. The difference was Bangkok Bank's rate was not updated as frequently so sometimes it was higher and sometimes lower.

Once the government forced the onshore/offshore split it became useless.

so many posts, however noone has actually answered the question.

Today:

Offshore rate for AUD TO THB: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AUDTHB=X = 26.455

Onshore rate equivalent = http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank+Th...es/FX+Rates.htm = 26.31

LAST WEEK:

Offshore rate was still around 26.455

Onshore rate was 28 to 29.

Bottom Line: The offshore rate is now the better rate. I can get a rate equal to that of the bangkok bank for example, by using

a local forex company(i get about 26.3 now through AFEX). Last week I got about 10% better rate by sending AUD to thailand and getting the onshore rate. What gives?

Or simply -

Offshore rate(USD TO THB) = 33.2

Onshore rate(USD TO THB) = 33.37

difference = approx half a percent.

Last week difference was about 10%(onshore rate being better)

wrong! the onshore rate for USD is 34.42 according to SCB and 34.69 according to Bloomberg. Bloomie publishes offshore rate 33.40 = difference 3.86% (percentage calculation based on offshore).

guys, if you dont know the answer, just say so instead of posting a bunch of useless posts.

According to bangkok bank, onshore rate is 33.37. http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank+Th...es/FX+Rates.htm

However it really doesn't matter. Point is, we can no longer get a BIG advantage using onshore rate(compared to a week ago).

If anyone can give me an answer to that, please do.

Edited by markm81

guys, if you dont know the answer, just say so instead of posting a bunch of useless posts.

According to bangkok bank, onshore rate is 33.37. http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank+Th...es/FX+Rates.htm

However it really doesn't matter. Point is, we can no longer get a BIG advantage using onshore rate(compared to a week ago).

33.37 is the rate for $1 bills. For $50 and $100 bills it is 34.13. For wire transfers it is 34.30.

The answer to your last question is yes, it is not so big an advantage as 1 week ago.

people look at the offshore rate because...

even after several months of discussions they have not grasped that the offshore rate is irrelevant for them.

edited for grammar

of course its relevant. it represents what a free market believes the Thai baht's true value is.

THB offshore is rather small and illiquid, that's why the expression "free market" does not apply.

33.37 is the rate for $1 bills. For $50 and $100 bills it is 34.13. For wire transfers it is 34.30.

The answer to your last question is yes, it is not so big an advantage as 1 week ago.

can anybody please explain to me what kind of "BIG advantage" you are talking about? nobody was/is forced to use the lower offhore rate when transferring money.

Today:

Offshore rate for AUD TO THB: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AUDTHB=X = 26.455

Onshore rate equivalent = http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank+Th...es/FX+Rates.htm = 26.31

When did you last buy Baht from finance.yahoo.com?

Other people, if they Baht outside Thailand, buy it from their bank, which means that the rate quoted by Yahoo has no meaning at all for them. Only the bank’s selling rate for the Baht counts.

--

Maestro

Once the government forced the onshore/offshore split it became useless.

How did the government do that?

--

Maestro

Well based on what was posted on Thaivisa, the government started proping up the onshore rate late last year maybe. Early this year?

Edit, looking back it was said to be the currency controls and not actual propping.

Edited by Carmine6

...the government started proping up the onshore rate late last year maybe. Early this year?

The government tried very hard to weaken the Baht. The difference between onshore and offshore rates is due to market forces (fuelled partly by Thailand’s balance of payments surplus), not something the government forced.

--

Maestro