25% Off Flights If You Are A Thai Or A Spouse Of A Thai

slippery when wet

Hi All.

I heard the other day that if you are either a Thai national or married to a Thai you can get 25% off flights with Thai air. Is this true and if so would this be through an agent or would the reduction be off full fare where as it would probablt still be cheaper buying from an agent.

I look forward to your replies.

Slippery

THAI used to have what they call an “ethnic fare” for Thais living abroad and their spouses travelling to Thailand on a return ticket, and perhaps they still offer this special fare. I doubt, though, that the discount ever was as much as 25%.

--

Maestro

Thai still offers special fares from certain markets for returning Thais. From Korea to Thailand, the tix for my GF were definitely 20-25% lower than mine even though we purchased the tix tegether. We looked at other airlines and many travel agency even the U.S military travel agent. You must buy from a "special" Thai airline agent/partner to get the discount.

Oh...at the time, I did not have a Thai passport that's why I did not get the discount.

Ski and Goong.

About 3 years ago I got a reduction of 5% for an 'ethnic ticket' in Switzerland. This was published on Thai's web site in Switzerland and travel agents where informed. I fact my travel agent asked me, if I was married to a Thai. There was nothing 'secret' about it. It was valid for Thais and their husbands as well.

It did not see anything like this in the last 3 years, but the price politic seems to depend on your country of origin.

About 3 years ago I got a reduction of 5% for an 'ethnic ticket' in Switzerland. This was published on Thai's web site in Switzerland and travel agents where informed. I fact my travel agent asked me, if I was married to a Thai. There was nothing 'secret' about it. It was valid for Thais and their husbands as well.

It did not see anything like this in the last 3 years, but the price politic seems to depend on your country of origin.

In Germany you still get an ethnic tariff on Thai Airways. Includes (married) partner and children. This was confirmed by my brother in law just last june, and according to him was about 15 % cheaper.

cheers

onzestan

Just a matter of time until the 2 tier pricing discussion moves here.

And what's so wrong about that?

THAI offers since years if not decades a double price system. Thais pay less than Farangs. If this is ok with you, fly Thai. If you don't want to be discriminated, use another airline.

THAI offers since years if not decades a double price system. Thais pay less than Farangs. If this is ok with you, fly Thai. If you don't want to be discriminated, use another airline.

Where does it say I have a problem with that? I posted on the other thread about agreeing with 2 tier pricing for national parks since they're subsidized by the government which collects taxes mainly from Thais.

Makes sense to me that a Thai airline with the government as a major shareholder should encourage Thais to fly it.

If you are Canadian, Mexican, Albanian, or whatever and are married to a Thai you also get the discount apparently.

If you are Canadian, Mexican, Albanian, or whatever and are married to a Thai you also get the discount apparently.

Let's see, 15% discount, so $240 on my last flight. Anyone know where I can find a Thai wife?

Hi All.

I heard the other day that if you are either a Thai national or married to a Thai you can get 25% off flights with Thai air. Is this true and if so would this be through an agent or would the reduction be off full fare where as it would probablt still be cheaper buying from an agent.

I look forward to your replies.

Slippery

Dunno about the exact % but there was a discount

Those that say it fals are actually wrong - wel it was true about 3 years ago but I could not swear on it now.

I used to have the avtual contract between a Travel Agent and TS - Guesthouse who knows me from another board will back me on this one.

Eastwest used to have the contact in the UK and my old TA had it in Belgium.

I know there has been a discount, ~ 10%, for domestic TG fares for Thai nationals for mid-week travel, in the past. I am not sure if this applied to all city-pairs or if this discount is still available. I used a travel agent, flew BKK-KKC-BKK often and paid in cash.

TG offers all sorts of promotions, e.g. buy one business class ticket BKK-HKT-BKK, get a 2nd one for 50% off, so some may get confused with pricing/discounting policies? Additionally TG has many Economy fare buckets (Y,B,M,H,Q,N,V,W,S,T,G,K,X: highest price/most flexible to lowest price/least flexible) so some may think they are getting a discount when in fact they are just getting the last of a fare bucket before that inventory reaches zero and you have to buy a higher priced fare bucket. Lastly there may be allowances for certain individuals to purchase a lower fare bucket even though it might have already sold out, hence the appearance of a discount. As a final note, there have been shenanigans reported in the press, over the past two years, re: TG selling highly discounted tickets to wealthy and influential Thais, under undue pressure and influence from said individuals, which resulted in revenue shortfalls and exposed accounting and management deficiencies, which AFAIK have been cleaned up.

Edited to add: Sample TG promotion.

Edited by lomatopo

The English flyers handed out at the Thai Wat in Wimbledon for eg West East Travel used to have ราคาพิเศษสำหรับคนไทย on them in small lettering at the bottom.