Note Book Memory Upgrade

geoffphuket

A simple question !

My new Acer laptop came with 512Mb of ram and is somewhat sufering the consequences when pushed to the limit.

Now, I'm not a games player and I don't need huge amounts of memory. So, my question is, can I get away with installing a single 1Gb DDR2 in addition to the card already installed, giving 1.5Gb total, or would I need to remove it - which seems a waste?

Thanks in advance

geoffphuket

not hard 'n fast ,

more an advisory to avoid problems

your likely to be better off adding another 512 for 1024 .

but stick around there will be someone to refute me ..............................................

Adding a 1GB module makes sense, you don't lose the value of the existing memory single 512 module. and gain from the added memory.

Regards

PS Mid's comments were true when memory had to be matched, however in most modern systems matching is not a prerequisite.

Edited by A_Traveller

not hard 'n fast ,

more an advisory to avoid problems

your likely to be better off adding another 512 for 1024 .

but stick around there will be someone to refute me ..............................................

Thanks Mid - kinda puts me back to my original question :D:o

Adding a 1GB module makes sense, you don't lose the value of the existing memory single 512 module. and gain from the added memory.

Regards

PS Mid's comments were true when memory had to be matched, however in most modern systems matching is not a prerequisite.

Thanks for that. My main concern was damaging the computer in some way.

Guest Reimar

The question is: is the existing memory 1 bank 512 MB or 2 banks 256 MB?

You also should look for the real specification. One importand thing is the Latency. Check for CL. If you've CL 3 the meory you ad should be CL 3 also. But most of the3 1 GB are CL 5 which are alot more slow than CL 3.

I changed in my Acer from 1 GB to 2 GB and from CL 4 to CL 2.5 which was much more expensive than the standard CL5! But tested to first with 2 GB CL 5 the laptop was a bit more slow than before with 1 GB CL 4! After pay more for the CL 2.5 I get a much better speed as before wit the 1 GB. All testings was under Vista Ultimate.

You also should look for the real specification. One importand thing is the Latency. Check for CL. If you've CL 3 the meory you ad should be CL 3 also. But most of the3 1 GB are CL 5 which are alot more slow than CL 3.

I changed in my Acer from 1 GB to 2 GB and from CL 4 to CL 2.5 which was much more expensive than the standard CL5! But tested to first with 2 GB CL 5 the laptop was a bit more slow than before with 1 GB CL 4! After pay more for the CL 2.5 I get a much better speed as before wit the 1 GB. All testings was under Vista Ultimate.

My computer has a single 512Mb 533 DDR2 module. I've never heard mention of a 'CL' spec' or seen any choice of it. I'm looking at a Corsair 1Gb for 1,560 Baht :-

http://www.thanni.com/index.php?main_page=...x&cPath=243

geoffphuket

Guest Reimar

My computer has a single 512Mb 533 DDR2 module. I've never heard mention of a 'CL' spec' or seen any choice of it. I'm looking at a Corsair 1Gb for 1,560 Baht :-

http://www.thanni.com/index.php?main_page=...x&cPath=243

geoffphuket

CL stands for CAS Latency. It is a programmable register in the SDRAM that sets the number of clock cycles between the issuance of the READ command and when the data comes out. Smaller number for CL indicates faster SDRAM within the same frequency.

Take a look at the Lable on the existing memory and thre should printed the CL Value!

You can ad memory with same spec to your existing but if the CL from the new has a higher number you'll lose speed!

I mix different sizes of DDR2 in both laptops (one an Acer) with no ill effects. You don't need to make it more complicated than it needs to be. :o

You will commonly find DDR2 553 and 667. One is marginally faster and the speed of both will default to the lowest one but you probably won't notice a thing.

I mix different sizes of DDR2 in both laptops (one an Acer) with no ill effects. You don't need to make it more complicated than it needs to be. :D

You will commonly find DDR2 553 and 667. One is marginally faster and the speed of both will default to the lowest one but you probably won't notice a thing.

That's even more interesting. I thought you had to stick with speed matched pairs, ie 2x553 or 2x667. So if I found a cheaper 667 module and mixed them, you're saying it'll work fine but at the slower 553Mhz speed.

Cheers for all the replies lads I've learnt more than I expected ! :o

You just need to get another module of equal or faster spec. Any size will be fine. It doesn't have to match the first module. I've done it before, so it does work.

For desktops, in order to use memory in dual-channel configuration, you need to use install memory modules in pairs, or else performance will suffer. In modern notebooks, the individual SODIMMs already are dual-channeled, so you only need to install one at a time.

You just need to get another module of equal or faster spec. Any size will be fine. It doesn't have to match the first module. I've done it before, so it does work.

For desktops, in order to use memory in dual-channel configuration, you need to use install memory modules in pairs, or else performance will suffer. In modern notebooks, the individual SODIMMs already are dual-channeled, so you only need to install one at a time.

Just what Firefoxx says - you can stick in any other size or speed (equal or faster) module, the memory as been mentioned before defaults to the lower speed.

In the old days you had to install memory in pairs of matching SIMMs (Single Inline Memory Module) however since they are DIMMs (Dual) just one is is fine as it's the equivalent of installing 2.

The only other things to make sure of is you notebook can accept about 1GB of ram - some do have limitations of 1Gb - but most these days take 2Gb. (as does mine which is what I've got installed! :o)

Edit: Just to add don't worry about damaging the computer, there is practically no way just installing an incorrect memory module into the PC can damage it. If the module isn't compatible the computer won't boot up and will most likely beep and give a memory error from the BIOS. I've put all kinds of memory mixing and matching in all types of PCs over the years and never had caused any damage.

Edited by technocracy

Guest Reimar

If you mix RAM with different CAS Latency or different speed, your overall speed will goes down, just a little but will be more slow then the slowest module in you comp. To feel the difference you may realize with programs like 3D Max while rendering or with other high deffination graphics. Or if you play with "over-clocking"!

I wouldn't mix! I would use the same speed and same CAS Latency for all module in the same computer! And you can believe me, I've alot experiences with high speed memory!

If you mix RAM with different CAS Latency or different speed, your overall speed will goes down, just a little but will be more slow then the slowest module in you comp. To feel the difference you may realize with programs like 3D Max while rendering or with other high deffination graphics. Or if you play with "over-clocking"!

I wouldn't mix! I would use the same speed and same CAS Latency for all module in the same computer! And you can believe me, I've alot experiences with high speed memory!

You are making a simple operation needlessly complicated and just adding confusion to the OP over a very minor and unnoticable issue that won't really affect him.

You are making a simple operation needlessly complicated and just adding confusion to the OP over a very minor and unnoticable issue that won't really affect him.

Probably true :o .....and not wishing to start an argument, I'll thank everyone for their replies and request this topic closed !

Guest Reimar

cndvic:

I'm wonder that all of the very well educated (in computer sience) user's on this forum talking on one hand about the speed and even complaining alot about that the real speed didn't applies for the used system and on the other hand ignoring and even don't know how to deal with the hardware to get the most out of the system!

CAS Latency (CL) is on of the the measure unit for memory and increase or decrease the speed the memory is working with and in this also increase or decrease the speed of the computer!.

Is as easy as that!

I never saw a explanation of CAS Latency on this forum and even many of the shops which selling mainly memories do not know what is it!

I don't mind if others want ignore it but I wouldn't! Just in the moment I've a MB from a customer by DCom for claiming because of hanging of Windows Vista. That customer use Dual Channel Memory 4 x 512 MB: 2 x Kingston CL4 and 2 x Hynix CL3! The service was call me this morning to tell me that the motherboard didn't have any problem but have to change the memory to the same speed either CL 4 or CL3. And that MB is an 2 years old Asus P4GD1.

That's the last "EXPERIENCES" I've with memories! If I see the memory of taht customer before, he was bruinging the MB to my office without anything attached, I'll directly check about the aboven mentione fact!

But again, what others are doing they have to know!

Edited by Reimar