I Bougth It For The Wife

corkscrew

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My boss used to have a Lexus and never had it in the shop except for oil changes.

Well, Lexus is a Toyota, and we all know that are Number 1 when it comes to reliabilty.

Really, Lexus is a total cut above all the rest on this point. The latest poll confirmed that in the US. When if first came out, I had one of the first LS400s. Kept it around for about 5 years. Absolutely the finest, trouble-free car I've ever owned, and the dealer service was just superb.

Now, lest you think I'm easily impressed, I've owned new models of 7 and 3 series BMWs; I've owned S class and kompressor Mercedes, among the the cars under discussion here. None of the BMWs, though much more exciting to own and drive, nor the Mercs, which were a pleasure to ride in ever held up to the same satisfaction of ownership I got from that Lexus. And, the price was much less than the competition.

These discussions are kind of silly in Thailand though, because the costs of acquisition change the equation of ownership desirability for me. To others, let them enjoy anything they want to drive. But, I think the smart money in Thailand buys a top end Camry and calls it a day.

While I agree with your comments Lexus are still fairly ugly machines.

The Japanese, not for lack of trying, still have this particular unappealing style when it comes to designing automobiles.

Each to their own though.

To each their own indeed,. i bought a triumph stag for the way it looked,. also a lotus esprit, both were absolutely awful when it came to reliability,. hitch hiking was more dependable ! ,.there simply is nothing to compare in motorcycles or cars to the japanese for reliability,. and lexus tops the lot, not easy to swallow for owners of other makes im sure, .this was the last lexus i owned in the uk a 2001 GS430,107.000 miles in 5 years,not even a bulb replaced, it was worth buying for the engine alone, superb,.

post-41326-1188358494_thumb.jpg

Some people like to show off their new toys and if this displays that they have some wealth about them i see no problem with it, it can only be jealousy when others have to post negative comments,.i would say be careful insuting a mans car, you can probably insult his wife and get away with it ,but the car ! tricky

Some people like to show off their new toys and if this displays that they have some wealth about them i see no problem with it, it can only be jealousy when others have to post negative comments,.i would say be careful insuting a mans car, you can probably insult his wife and get away with it ,but the car ! tricky

Mike that Lexus looks great.

Maybe I shall drive it more than she does. It is a WOW car.

Now you have bragged about your wealth you feel better?

Now you have shown your envy, do you feel better?

Or should that be,

Now that you have shown your envy, do you feel bitter ? :o

Or should that be,

Why would anyone buy pretty much the most expensive standard car available - and then not forget to add that it was for his wife - if not to show off?

I think it's probably cultural. In most of Europe the original post would be considered pointless bragging, possible "new money". In US and Russia there is nothing else so they generally think this kind of bragging is ok. Each to his.

Thats definatley a looker and i bet it moves. But im thinking thats more of a "businessman" car and overpriced in thailand :D

I think most [young] girls prefer glamorous to elegant.

so, if i had no budjet, id get a porsche carrera GT for my wife:

Porsche_Carrera_GT.jpg:o i would commit murder for that!!!

im just 17 so i got a few more years to think about GT's and wives :D

This is my goal in 20 years:

slr2.JPG:D The wife, Im working on :D

Dosent really get much better...

Edited by ukjackthai

Or should that be,

Why would anyone buy pretty much the most expensive standard car available - and then not forget to add that it was for his wife - if not to show off?

I think it's probably cultural. In most of Europe the original post would be considered pointless bragging, possible "new money". In US and Russia there is nothing else so they generally think this kind of bragging is ok. Each to his.

I completely agree with you. Ofcourse Corkscrew can state what car he has purchased, be proud of it and ofcourse some of us will envy his spending power ( I am financially quite ok myself but still envy him), but is the way in which Corkscrew shows/communicates his spending power that upsets people. Yeah probably new money. Europeans tend to be a bit more "cultured" and/or sophisticated than our friends across the ocean

I completely agree with you. Ofcourse Corkscrew can state what car he has purchased, be proud of it and ofcourse some of us will envy his spending power ( I am financially quite ok myself but still envy him), but is the way in which Corkscrew shows/communicates his spending power that upsets people. Yeah probably new money. Europeans tend to be a bit more "cultured" and/or sophisticated than our friends across the ocean

Ok, so if all of a sudden you came into untold wealth, and you still bothered to use this forum, and you bought a Bentley Continental GT for yourself and a Porsche Carrera for your wife, you would come onto this motoring forum and say............

Hi Guy's I just bought myself a Bentley Continental GT and it's absolutely fabulous, I bought the wife a car too?

Or would you say.....

Hi guys, I just bought a Bentley Continental GT for myself and it's absolutely fabulous, also I bought my wife her dream car, a Porsche Carrera, I will drive that car also as it's a great car?

Sorry Guy's, I cannot see how Corky is bragging, everybody knows he is a Benz freak, and he bought his wife a Benz, it's that simple.

Good luck to him.

Edited by Maigo6

Personally, I think you and ur wife should swap cars! The SL is a girly car, a salon is a mans car :o

Did she choose it or did you? Normally girls want a small car!

I guess I'm lucky, my missus wants a Honda Jazz, which is doable!

Anyway, happy driving corkscrew :D

I am still shaking my head in wonder at this thread. It was put specifically in the auto forum. The guy loves nice cars. Guys who love their cars love to talk about them and show them off and brag about them. I'm one of them. I've owned and collected many cars that I guess would blow everybody's brains if I started talking about them on this forum. I've decided never to do that based on the levels of envy, jealousy or whatever I've seen in this thread. He didn't post it on the general topics forum. He's a car lover. jeez, give him a break.

I've owned and collected many cars that I guess would blow everybody's brains if I started talking about them on this forum. I've decided never to do that based on the levels of envy, jealousy or whatever

C'mon Chinthee, tell us about the cars, after all, it is a Car Forum, I promise I won't be jealous. :D

Don't worry about the guy's that are, they're probably among the Honda Wave riding Farangs who detest Fortuner Owners!! :o

I am jealous but I still appreciate the OP and his thread.

It's up to him how he spends his well earned money, and good luck to him. If I, and others, worked a bit harder / smarter then maybe we could / should get there too. :o

I don't think that I'd buy a Merc myself but then again it's for his missus and they're nice "ladies cars". (That's not an insult, just my opinion.)

I am still shaking my head in wonder at this thread. It was put specifically in the auto forum. He's a car lover. jeez, give him a break.

100% totally agree. I simply cannot understand how people could find fault with a guy, on an auto forum, talking about a new car.

Mike that Lexus looks great.

Thank you buddy,

Ok, so if all of a sudden you came into untold wealth, and you still bothered to use this forum, and you bought a Bentley Continental GT for yourself and a Porsche Carrera for your wife, you would come onto this motoring forum and say............

Hi Guy's I just bought myself a Bentley Continental GT and it's absolutely fabulous, I bought the wife a car too?

Or would you say.....

Hi guys, I just bought a Bentley Continental GT for myself and it's absolutely fabulous, also I bought my wife her dream car, a Porsche Carrera, I will drive that car also as it's a great car?

Sorry Guy's, I cannot see how Corky is bragging, everybody knows he is a Benz freak, and he bought his wife a Benz, it's that simple.

Good luck to him.

I had a yellow bentley 2 door, im going to dig out the picture and post it, sod it ! :o

Well in that case, I'd like to list my vehicles but I'm not clever enough to stick them on the bottom as my signature.

200? Yamaha Nouvo, 200? Honda Sonic, 2006 Honda Jazz (all in Thailand) Oh, I forgot, Honda atc110 1983 in need of tlc.

Are you fellas impressed?

The bloke's either a troll or has no real friends.

Well in that case, I'd like to list my vehicles but I'm not clever enough to stick them on the bottom as my signature.

200? Yamaha Nouvo, 200? Honda Sonic, 2006 Honda Jazz (all in Thailand) Oh, I forgot, Honda atc110 1983 in need of tlc.

ill be his friend :o

Some people like to show off their new toys...

Maybe it's time for another Thread:

:o

Show me your new Girlfriend.

:D

LaoPo :bah:

This is the only girl i like to show off, my daughter debbie and shes a keeper ! :D

:D Absolutely gorgeous and lovely....worth more than any car in the world ! :D

LaoPo

Some people like to show off their new toys...

Maybe it's time for another Thread:

:o

Show me your new Girlfriend.

:D

LaoPo :bah:

This is the only girl i like to show off, my daughter debbie and shes a keeper ! :D

:D Absolutely gorgeous and lovely....worth more than any car in the world ! :D

LaoPo

Thanks very much, we think so ,but of course we are biased ,yes i have to get my priorites right now,. :bah:

I am still shaking my head in wonder at this thread. It was put specifically in the auto forum. The guy loves nice cars. Guys who love their cars love to talk about them and show them off and brag about them. I'm one of them. I've owned and collected many cars that I guess would blow everybody's brains if I started talking about them on this forum. I've decided never to do that based on the levels of envy, jealousy or whatever I've seen in this thread. He didn't post it on the general topics forum. He's a car lover. jeez, give him a break.

Thank you. Yes, I do spend a lot of time on car forums (mostly MB ones). And, it is fun to spend time and talk with our various car owners and their models. Here at THAI VISA (Motor Forum) I also want to share car talk. All of us here should feel comfortable about talking about our rides without the fear of personal attacks. Some of us put more money into cars...others spend more on homes. We are an eclectic group....please keep it that way.

ill be his friend :o

Nice car!

The Cork certainly knows how to live it up.

Hot Air Balloons, 5 Star Buffets, Top End Condos, Vacation homes, Beautifull women, Elephant Polo in exotic locals...Good on him.

I know allot of rich people that don't know how to enjoy life.

Nothing wrong with having money.

I have a Carrera Cabriolet and an M-5 back home. Does that piss anybody off?

Edited by UnknownPoster

One of the worst problems of driving round in expensive top end cars is thus, You become a huge target for the criminals of all descriptions, jealous people, etc, etc, even more so in third world countries.

I have a friend in central London, who got out of his top of the pile Ferrari, unlocked his steel door to his plush abode, as he unlocked two masked men pushed him inside the door, took the keys to his car, Rolex watch, several k in cash, all were never seen again, he was lucky he just handed over all, or he was going to get a hiding, or worse !

Perhaps advertising your wealth, and showing off your expensive "metal underware" is not such a good idea, esp on the wwb.

And my friend, he goes everywhere in a london cab now, totaly paranoid !

Enjoy whislt you can , before someone kidnaps your lovely wife in it !!