Profit From Smoking?

20yearsinthai

Brit buddy of mine says every time he goes back to UK he buys 70 cartons of cigs here and sells them on arrival at UK. Says it pays for his round trip ticket--with a little left over.

Anyone else doing this??

Until he gets caught and has to pay the duty + fine :o

Been doing it for the last 6 years.........49 cartons every time.....buy them in the duty free shop in Bangkok airport......you must have an empty personnal bag to put them in......buy 10 or more cartons and they knock 15% off 10 Regal/Bensons are 4080 baht....worst that can happen is they take them off you on arrival in UK......reason i take 49 is that i have it on good authority that under 50 cartons they wont prosecute ...50 and above they will......been lucky so far! Cant see this thread lasting long. :o

Thaiflyer et al, they can, and do, fine too. A friend of mine was.

Another friend was stung for a ring at UK customs. He has a jewel encrusted gold thing (size and shape of St Paul's Cathedral) on his middle finger. Cost him about £2,000 in LOS. Customs said, value=£5,000 so duty on £5k + £1k fine!

Same guy got done a little while later importing T-shirts/sweatshirts etc by the carton load. No tax paid - listed as personal items on the manifest. Lost the lot (about £4,000 worth) and told by customs that if he comes to claim them, or is caught again, he is looking at pokey (prison).

You takes your chances!