Car Accident , Falang Hits Thai

taxexile

Responsibility is a must from veryone, especially when driving something, however I thought the Thai way was to relax and not have too much confrontation ??. Perhaps your sister in law should pray that this person changes his ways and let it go at that, remember, as my girlfriend always tells me "if we always do something good, it will be good for us in the next life" Ask this man to donate money to a worthy cause in Thailand in exchange for dropping the charges and feel you have done something good for a charity and your heart.

I was probably a Thai in a former life I am told

I think he stays here for too long and had learnt the Thai driving culture..just kidding

I think your sister in law should get over it. I mean come on, the guy is 62 yo, probably will retire very soon. You don't have to ruin the remaining years of his life. Out of court settlement is the way to go.

Don't ask for too much though, one Thai woman taking money from him is enough...just kidding again

The farang lawyer's actions were very clearly wrong, at least based on the story as it was told here. It must be stated however that they are no different to what we read in the newspapers every day. Somchai's car / bus / minivan caused an accident and good old Somchai fled the scene. This sort of thing happens all the time in Thailand. I'm not saying that that makes it right, just that it is a common occurence.

What I find perturbing is the way people want to see this guy fried. What he did was very clearly wrong - but is it then ok to extort (and that is what it is) a few thousand to several thousand dollars from him?

I find his actions (based on this story - and that is just one side of the story) completely wrong but I also find the suggested responses on this thread rather strong, to say the least.

Ask yourself this question. If the driver at fault had been Thai, would you have suggested the same course of action? I have my doubts... What is about many Westerners in Thailand that makes them believe that extreme punishment should be dished out towards a farang who may have done something wrong?

Hi stckman,

Actually, I was trying to be compassionate when I suggested she reach a financial settlement with the hit and run driver. Under normal conditions he would be arrested, serve time, pay fines, probaly get blacklisted and possibly fired from his job. My comments were meant to show the guy should appreciate the gravity of his actions. Basically he would be getting off on his illegal actions by paying a fine. i don't see it as extortion at all.

The way I read the story it's a kind of very weird, odd and strange behavior from the lawyer and I can only think of 3 reasons why he took a run after a minor accident:

1. He had been drinking

2. He was afraid of the consequences (Farang versus Thai driver)

3. Another reason(s), we don't know, apart from the lawyer himself.

Maybe a combination of the above but that's just speculation, I know.

However, his behavior is beyond normal for an educated man, his age, living and working as a lawyer in Thailand, married to a Thai Lady.

He should be ashamed of himself and I fully understand the reaction of the Lady involved. I would do the same and chase him (or have him chased).

Since he's a lawyer, it's even more serious since he knew he was wrong... :o

LaoPo

Hi stckman,

Actually, I was trying to be compassionate when I suggested she reach a financial settlement with the hit and run driver. Under normal conditions he would be arrested, serve time, pay fines, probaly get blacklisted and possibly fired from his job. My comments were meant to show the guy should appreciate the gravity of his actions. Basically he would be getting off on his illegal actions by paying a fine. i don't see it as extortion at all.

I don't know about this. Serve time for failing to stop at an accident? I have no idea what happens to people who fail to stop at an accident but jail time is not a certainty and blacklisting is EXTREMELY unlikely.

His behaviour is very unusual and frankly, something sounds amiss. It all does not add up to me. I would love to hear his version of events....although that will never happen.

Hi stckman,

I don't know about this. Serve time for failing to stop at an accident? I have no idea what happens to people who fail to stop at an accident but jail time is not a certainty and blacklisting is EXTREMELY unlikely.

His behaviour is very unusual and frankly, something sounds amiss. It all does not add up to me. I would love to hear his version of events....although that will never happen.

Hit and Run driving is a criminal offense in every jurisdiction in which I've evr lived. It would surprise me to learn that are many places where that isn't the case. Sometimes it's a misdameanor offense, sometimes it's a felony. Just depends on the circumstances.

Who knows? Maybe you'll get a submission with his acccount of the events after it's all been settled.

Edited by lannarebirth

Clearly, the driver displayed poor judgement but the incident, in the scheme of things, is quite trivial and could be easily resolved if it were not for the vindictive and overbearing attitude of the victim. Seeking to destroy a man's career and conniving at his deportation simply because he displayed arrogance is obviously a disproportionate reaction and quite unreasonable in the circumstances.

But that's women for you.

in the scheme of things, is quite trivial and could be easily resolved if it were not for the vindictive and overbearing attitude of the victim.

as you say , the incident was trivial.

and it would have been resolved simply and politely in an adult fashion in 5 minutes if it hadnt of been for the getaway attempt , arrogance , lies and intransigence of the lawyer and (as far as i understand) the disruptive interference of his wife.

Ask yourself this question. If the driver at fault had been Thai, would you have suggested the same course of action? I have my doubts... What is about many Westerners in Thailand that makes them believe that extreme punishment should be dished out towards a farang who may have done something wrong?

i wonder how this lawyer would prepare a defence case for someone in his position , because his behaviour was really indefensible .

actually the police said to my sister in law that had he been thai they would have prosecuted him as a matter of course , but because he was a falang they didnt want to get involved and were all for letting the insurance companies sort it out. it was only due to my sister in laws insistence that they went ahead with filing the report.

and yes ,i'm sure thais would have stuck together , supporting their own in a case like this had it been a thai who crashed into a falang in say the uk or usa.

sometimes i do think that we should stick together more and support each other more as expats in a foriegn country.

in thailand we need all the help that we can get , but as westerners we do like to see wrongdoers face the law , and take pleasure from it too. whereas thais try to evade the law and its consequences at almost every opportunity , possibly with good reason considering the unfairness and vague nature of the system here.

putting myself in his position , i just cant understand why he didnt just phone his insurance company and be done with instead of being so cowardly and difficult.

but at the end of it all , he acted dishonestly and if he gets away with it , then he will just do it again if he had to.

Second rate aussie lawyer with an attitude problem, just saw it as some simple thai woman, . im really pleased she gave chase, most wouldnt have and he would have got away,. no i agree with most here make him sweat a while then start at 500.000 and drop to 250.000, then see how the xxxx he likes that !

I'm sure the lawyers absolutely crapping himself

..... a 62 year old lawyer employed by one of the biggest law firms in bkk , possibly facing an appearance in the criminal court , due to his stupid attitude when he hit a car belonging to a manager of a very important client ?

he may not be absolutely crapping himself , but he does have cause for concern.

Well, I guess I am the only one who thinks this whole story sounds fishy. A lawyer failing to stop at the scene of an accident in Thailand just doesn't sound right. Either the facts of the story are fishy, or there was something else going on i.e. he was running from another crime or was under the influence. And then the lawyer gettign his wife out to the cop shop and not fellow lawyer? Hmm, it just does not sound right.

As far as "hit and run" goes, I had always considered that to be an accident when a vehicle hit a person and kept going. This is a different scenario to this. One car hit another car and given that each car was able to be driven a considerable distance afterwards, the damage cannot have been considerable. Saying the lawyer did a hit and run is making it out to be much worse than it was.

Yep, the lawyer was clearly in the wrong....but there is something missing. Sure!

I'm sure the lawyers absolutely crapping himself

..... a 62 year old lawyer employed by one of the biggest law firms in bkk , possibly facing an appearance in the criminal court , due to his stupid attitude when he hit a car belonging to a manager of a very important client ?

he may not be absolutely crapping himself , but he does have cause for concern.

Hmm, Sounds like both you and your sister in law are working yourselves into a frenzy

and are getting ready to run amok.

Accept a reasonable compensation for any damage (actually) done and then get over it.

The guy was possibly in shock.

By the way ... for all you would be blackmailers out there ... You do time for that too ! :o

Naka.

Edited by naka

Well, I guess I am the only one who thinks this whole story sounds fishy.

Maybe you didn't read my post #34 ? :o

LaoPo

These are my feelings too. My guess is that he'd had a few beers but who knows.

Also his excuse is not completely bogus. The hard shoulder on the expressway is often very narrow and it is used by Bangkok drivers as an undertaking lane so it is extremely dangerous to park there. However he could have suggested leaving the expressway rather than just driving off.

Soon, he will have to provide an explanation to the insurance or police. Then the OP can pass it on.

If all you apologists out there think he shouldn't have to pay anything to the money grubbing victim, how about a small donation to the victim's favorite charity?

I am certain an orphanage somewhere could use a little retribution from this guy.

Innocent people don't drive away from the scene of an accident. Hit and run is exactly that, whether anybody is killed or not.

Edited by chuckd

If all you apologists out there think he shouldn't have to pay anything to the money grubbing victim, how about a small donation to the victim's favorite charity?

I am certain an orphanage somewhere could use a little retribution from this guy.

Innocent people don't drive away from the scene of an accident. Hit and run is exactly that, whether anybody is killed or not.

C'mon ... do you really think this? Sounds to me like this is a situation to keep perspective.

The person who was hit deserves compensation for car damage and the aggravation of the chase. She was not injured so injury compensation is out. Unofrtunate perhaps. Aggravating perhaps. But does one really want blood for a relatively minor accident? I wouldn't think so.

Civilians have no legal for an offense like leaving the scene. It's up to the authorities. Nothing this person can do about it.

As far as going to the employer for further punitive measures, what's the point? The other driver made a stupid decision, but there does not appear to be any malice involved. Corwardice maybe, but not malice. He did not try to hit her again or run her over when he took off.

Maybe this is an opportunity to acquire a marker with the employer. That is not to suggest trying to blackmail the employer. But rather, if the situation is handled tactfully and reasonably, then possibly this firm could be called upon in the future.

As far as the guy's visa and work permit goes, again that's a legal matter that is completely out of scope for the person who was hit.

Again, unfortunate and aggravating, no doubt. But it doesn't seem like a situation to make a mountain out of a molehill. The most important thing was that she was not injured and is ok.

C'mon ... do you really think this? Sounds to me like this is a situation to keep perspective.

The person who was hit deserves compensation for car damage and the aggravation of the chase. She was not injured so injury compensation is out. Unofrtunate perhaps. Aggravating perhaps. But does one really want blood for a relatively minor accident? I wouldn't think so.

Civilians have no legal for an offense like leaving the scene. It's up to the authorities. Nothing this person can do about it.

As far as going to the employer for further punitive measures, what's the point? The other driver made a stupid decision, but there does not appear to be any malice involved. Corwardice maybe, but not malice. He did not try to hit her again or run her over when he took off.

Maybe this is an opportunity to acquire a marker with the employer. That is not to suggest trying to blackmail the employer. But rather, if the situation is handled tactfully and reasonably, then possibly this firm could be called upon in the future.

As far as the guy's visa and work permit goes, again that's a legal matter that is completely out of scope for the person who was hit.

Again, unfortunate and aggravating, no doubt. But it doesn't seem like a situation to make a mountain out of a molehill. The most important thing was that she was not injured and is ok.

I do agree that it is fortunate that the lady was not injured. Good luck indeed.

What I do find upsetting is the attempts to justify this guy cutting and running from the scene of an accident, regardless how minor.

As somebody said, perhaps he had been drinking and didn't want to get caught. That might be DUI and he could have killed the next person he ran into.

Somebody said he was just nervous and didn't want any trouble. Bosh! The guy is an attorney. He knows his way around trouble.

You have said he might have been cowardly and was certainly stupid. That I will agree with. He might have also needed to get away so he could get rid of his yaba/ice/heroin/etc. You get the picture.

All we can do is speculate since we really don't know all the circumstances. All we do know is he ran away from the scene of an accident, for whatever reason, and that is against the law.

He will likely buy his way out of trouble anyway, so this entire discussion is moot.