Crossover & Delphi

Niloc

I am a Pascal programmer, I cut my teeth on Turbo Pascal then Delphi 1,2,3,4,5.5.5,6 and finally 7.

I have code going back years which I want to use but then I converted to Linux! I found out most simple Delphi programs, compiled in Windows would run using 'Wine' but I wanted to have the full box. I tried to get Kylix to work but seems it is no longer supported so I ended up with a dual boot where I compiled under Win 2K, copied across to Linux and ran with Wine. A bit of a pain but easier than rewriting everything in C or C++.

Well today I downloaded and installed 'Crossover', and it looks like it is going to work! I opened and compiled a couple of programs, they are using my own database and they worked perfectly!!

I will try a couple more with a bit of tricky stuff and see if it can handle something a bit more complicated like a bit of pointer arithmetic but I don't see why not....

The downside is they are going to want money and I don't own a credit card so I have 30 days to do everything...

Colin

It is true Crossover Linux looks good and it makes it much easier to run “some” MS Windows software on Linux boxes.

We have both Crossover Linux Professional as Crossover Mac Professional, we use Crossover for a few things but mainly to see how our websites look if loaded in MS Internet Explorer.

With MS Internet Explorer 7, which doesn't with Crossover everything changed, lucky we also have licenses for Vmware. But still it feel silly to install a whole virtual machine and MS Windows XP to see how a website looks loaded in MS Internet Explorer. Anyway I already happy I not have to install Windows Vista to see how it looks.

Hmm maybe interesting to say is that my girlfriend has Adobe Dreamweaver 8 running on her Ubuntu 7.04 installation with Crossover, this is officially not supported by Codeweavers (makers Crossover) but it is possible with some little tweaking.