Setting Up True Adsl On A Mac

timballwiz

I signed up for ADSL through True last week, and got a modem, an instruction kit and an installation CD.

From what I can tell, you have to use the software on the CD (all Windows-only) to initially set up your account, pick a username, etc., before you can establish an internet connection.

Are there any workarounds for those of us with Macs? I've tried snooping around the True web site, but there doesn't seem to be an English version of many of the sub-pages.

If they gave you an USB modem, you only have the chance to Google the modem's manufacturer and find out if they have Mac drivers for your modem.

In case you have a Router, you should not need the Software at all. All you need is to connect to your router with a browser, and set up User Name, Password, VPI, VCI and Connection Type.

For more help, let us know first which Hardware they gave you!

Sunny

Thanks all, for the advice... I had a True technician come out today, and the problem turned out to be that, despite my having ordered phone service, I apparently also had to "activate" it through my condo's office, too. At the cost of an extra 3,000 baht. It apparently takes that much to flip a switch from "off" to "on" in the building.

Anyway, problem solved after that and a phone call to True to get all the settings. (It's Billion ethernet modem, by the way.)

Word of advice: If you have lots of trouble with your connection, replace the Billion with another brand. I had a Billion in the beginning, not only did it burn through 4 power adapters, it was also extremely unstable and needed to be reset a lot. That continued even after I had hooked it up to a UPS/stabilizer. If you have no troubles, no worries :o

I had the same problem when I opened my True account. I told them not to bring me any of their useless USB modems because I was using Linux. 3 days later the guy came with that modem + a Windows CD and even wanted to install a 400Mb windows games on my Debian box :o

I bought a router in Pantip (+/- 900 bath) and it works perfectly.

I also had to pay 3,000 baht to the condo to turn the switch on.