What Tractor?

All

I have 120 Rai of land and want to invest in a tractor. I have been recommended the Ford 600. Has anyone out there any information regarding this tractor or a better option?

toonarmygeorge

If it's an original 600 it's an antique. The most popular and the best Ford tractor used in Thailand is the 660. It has a five speed transmission and a live power take off. It would be suitable for 120 rai.

I can't remember the exact model number, but a couple of years ago we purchased a Ford / New Holland tractor. Ford / New Holland being the same company after Ford took New Holland over, if I remember right.

Also a lot of Ford tractors are actually second hand re-conditioned imports that come via Europe. I met a farmer in Ireland a few years ago and they were getting new tractors under EEC grants and then flogging the old ones off to an exporter.

Why did we buy a second hand Ford? Well we initially bought a brand new Chinese model and had nothing but trouble with it from day one. The dealership was reluctant to take it back as even their supplier in Bangkok was having big problems with this make of tractor. Eventually they agreed on a part exchange for the more expensive but second hand Ford / New Holland tractor.

Our tractor works virtually everyday and for a good part of last year / this year the guys working the land used it in shifts so it was sometimes running 24/7.

Did it break down or require maintenance? Yes but Ford parts are easy to come by in Thailand, especially in the sticks. Parts are cheap and it isn't a bitch to fix. The guys in the field can get it running in no time if they have a problem.

Sometimes buying new complicated stuff isn't the best way to go. Buying something strong, reliable and dependable is.

Hope it helps. :o