Live In Jomtien Or Naklua?

Jingthing

How do you answer: Where are you from?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think many of us are kind of embarrassed when meeting strangers or telling relatives about living in/near Pattaya.

I confess, sometimes when telling a respectable relative where I live I tell them Jomtien Beach (where I do actually live), about 100 miles outside Bangkok. I don't say Pattaya right away because of its bad reputation. Silly of me, I admit.

Now contrast this to suburbanites of cities like San Francisco and London. When they travel and you ask them where they are from, they almost always say San Francisco or London.

Once I was traveling in Laos and I met an interesting American guy and we were having a great conversation and then I did say I live in Pattaya. He immediately clammed up and couldn't end the conversation soon enough. Now I do think he was a bigot/idiot for doing that, but I didn't like the feeling of being stereotyped that way.

Now I guess an extreme case of this residential fibbing would be if you did actually live in Pattaya, and said something else.

Edited by Jingthing

Tell the truth: shame the devil!

If you think someone will think worse of you if you admit to living in Pattaya then that is their problem, because they are shallow enough to stereotype you as someone you are not.

It always amazes me how people who have never visited Pattaya slag it off. They are the losers.

If you think someone will think worse of you if you admit to living in Pattaya then that is their problem, because they are shallow enough to stereotype you as someone you are not.

It always amazes me how people who have never visited Pattaya slag it off. They are the losers.

Agreed. :o

I agree you should say Pattaya to outsiders, even if you live nearby and not technically in Pattaya.

When you say this, people all over the world often know where that is. Most people don't know Naklua or Jomtien.

However, if you are talking to a local in Pattaya, saying you live in Naklua is informative and you are probably speaking German anyway.

I never, ever say I live in Pattaya to any of my friends back home. With all the bad press Pattya has received I am too embarrassed. :o

you should be embarassed because of your obvious low self esteem.

LOL - my wife tells people that we still live in Rayong or Chon buri... I tell people that we live in Pattaya, although we are out in the suburbs... :o

I lived in Coventry in the UK for 15 years... if you want people to either commiserate with you or make their excuses that's the place to be from!!

Edited by johnong

That includes about 65 million Thais minus those already in Pattaya (not even all of them would admit where they live).

I never, ever say I live in Pattaya to any of my friends back home. With all the bad press Pattya has received I am too embarrassed. :o

It's not low self esteem. I'm embarrassed that I settled here in this Pattaya shit hole which I am trying to get out of as soon as I can!

Why should someone tell others that he is living in Pattaya if that's not the case?

Living in or near Soi Crockodile Farm, means that your are living in Naklua.

Living South of Thepprasite Road is Jomtien, North of Thepprasit is Pattaya.

Living East of Sukhumvit between North Pattaya Road and Thepprasit Road is Banglamung.

Living between the Sea and Sukhumvit and North Pattaya Road and Thepprasit road means that you're living in Pattaya.

Now I do think he was a bigot/idiot for doing that, but I didn't like the feeling of being stereotyped that way.

If you are talking to someone back at home (a non-traveller), you'll get stereotyped just by indicating you live in Thailand, irrespective of the region.

IMO, most people back at home (my home) wouldn't know of Pattaya, only Thailand, Bangkok and possibly Phuket. Bangkok is far more synonymous with the sex industry (in people's minds) than Pattaya.

Personally I don't have any problems with telling people I live in Pattaya even though I live right on the Jomtien/Pattaya border.

Edited by tropo

I never, ever say I live in Pattaya to any of my friends back home. With all the bad press Pattya has received I am too embarrassed. :D

It's not low self esteem. I'm embarrassed that I settled here in this Pattaya shit hole which I am trying to get out of as soon as I can!

Bye then, don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out. :o

Why should someone tell others that he is living in Pattaya if that's not the case?

Living East of Sukhumvit between North Pattaya Road and Thepprasit Road is Banglamung.

Living between the Sea and Sukhumvit and North Pattaya Road and Thepprasit road means that you're living in Pattaya.

I already gave the reason in my OP.

If you live in a suburb of San Francisco and you were traveling in Japan, you wouldn't say Daly City, you would say San Francisco. This is standard. Everyone in Japan knows San Francisco.

My theory is that lot of people say Jomtien or Naklua to avoid saying Pattaya which many people outside Thailand do know, but they don't know Jomtien and Naklua. So they are ashamed and embarrassed ...

Get my point now?

Edited by Jingthing

I never, ever say I live in Pattaya to any of my friends back home. With all the bad press Pattya has received I am too embarrassed.

Where's all this bad press? The tabloid, expose, sensationalist stuff? Why would it embarrass you? I rent the suite above the short-time rooms but that doesn't make me a sexpat.

Only miserable here. By the way I am not anti Thailand, just anti Pattaya. Thailand is a wonderful place

So Westerner, are you a victim or your own or other peoples choices? At least you appear honest.

I say Thailand when talking to the geographically challenged (who invariably think it's Taiwan), Pattaya to those more worldly (and up to them if they get anal about it) and Naklua to the ever friendly baht bus driver (who appreciates it when I say 'keep the change').

I am neither defending Pattaya or bashing it but the OP should really stop worrying about offending other peoples sensitivities. Lying in order to appear politically correct? That's the <deleted> that gets politicians impeached. If you are dishonest with yourself, where does it end?

The 'P' word... a very good poll subject Jingthing. Nice one!

According to the above I live in Banglamung, the Real Estate guys would say East Pattaya but I tell people Pattaya :o

My Thai extended family love that we live here, my nieces and nephews come and swim in my pool all day and we go eat fresh seafood by the Beach.

All things considered I can't think of another City/Town in Thailand I would honestly like to live in more. I enjoy going on holiday to the Islands, The North etc but prefer to live here.