Are Ox Carts Still In Use Anywhere In Thailand?

qualtrough

I just wondered if there was anywhere in Thailand where oxcarts are in still in regular use.

Yup, saw some up in Issan when I was there in February, not many, but some. I'll be back there in a few weeks, I'll try to get some pics.

Here in Phitsanulok, I live in a small urban neighborhood that used to be a farming field. I'm not sure about ox carts, but I do see buffalo (both the human and non-human variety) :o moving up and down the main soi. There are still patches of undeveloped property where the local buffalo owner brings his animals to eat. On these same roads we see occasional speeding motorcycles and booming rot gengs.

The place if filling up fast. Except during the rainy season, it's common to see dump trucks bring earth to fill land that will soon become home to a new house. This place is already too crowded, so I suppose the buffalo guy will have to change is routine or move somewhere else (maybe he'll be bought out).

I just wondered if there was anywhere in Thailand where oxcarts are in still in regular use.

Yup, saw some up in Issan when I was there in February, not many, but some. I'll be back there in a few weeks, I'll try to get some pics.

Thanks. I would like to see some pics of any in active use. I am not looking to buy one, just curious if they are still in use anywhere.

Hi,

We have seen them a number of times (being in use) while motorbike riding along the back roads in areas South of Nan and as far South as the Thai/Laos/Cambodian border.

We've also got four normal size and two minture ones here on our place in Chaing Khong. We paid 4,000Baht each for the small ones and 9,000Baht each for the normal size. Two of the big ones are Cambodia origin and the other two are Thai. And there is a difference in design between these. All of them in excellent conditions.

PM me for more details if interested.

Cheers,

David

Edited by David2up

I see them regularly walking slowly on the side of the highway around Amphoe Ngao in Lampang Province. I drive this stretch of Highway 1 often (between Phayao & Lampang) & I don't know why but there are always oxcarts being driven in this one village south of Ngao.

I haven't seen one in use for at least ten years. Up until a few years ago there were many of them sitting around in different places. The last I heard the Thais were snickering about the stupid farangs who were paying good money for something that was nearly useless. There are probably more ox carts in the UK now than are left here in Thailand.

I heard that the OP was planning to open a treatment center for sick buffalo's :o

Nah, sick buffaloes are from the past the same as ox carts. The ladies have progressed to mother, father, brother or sister have motorcy accident.

I heard that the OP was planning to open a treatment center for sick buffalo's :o

Nah, sick buffaloes are from the past the same as ox carts. The ladies have progressed to mother, father, brother or sister have motorcy accident.

in 14 years only ever seen one in a museum....or in a fighting stadium .