Help! Work Permit Expiring Aug. 30.

Hi, all!

As my initial 1 year extension of stay was expiring Aug. 30, 2007, I applied for another 1 year extension and got the approval to stay until Aug. 30, 2008. To have my work permit similarly extended, one of the documents that I was asked to provide was a power of attorney. This is stated in English in the Work Permit Handbook prepared by the Dept. of Employment and I quote: "If the said alien director who signs on the work permit application does not work in Thailand, he must provide a power of attorney appointing a thai person to sign in behalf of the company which power of attorney must be notarized by a notary public". When I then went to submit the documents for the work permit extension, I was advised that the power of attorney needs to be specifically notarized by the Thai embassy in Vienna, Austria (the country of residence of the foreign company director). When I asked a colleague to check, this was indeed stated in the work permit handbook but only in the Thai language section of the handbook. As my work permit is expiring On Aug. 30, 2007, there is obviously no time for us to send the power of attorney to Vienna, have it notarized at the Thai embassy there and then have it sent back to Bangkok. The foreign company director will be arriving here on Wednesday since we are supposed to go on a business trip to China on Aug. 31. If I am unable to get my work permit extended on or before Aug. 30, does that mean that the 1-year visa extension that I had just obtained will be cancelled? Any advise on my next course of action would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Raymund