Dec 23 Picked For Election Day

george

I thought it was Thais themselves who first sounded the idea of EU observers.

It would be a bummer if Thais first invited them and then refused, completely defeats the purpose. They should have asked someone who are they compfortable with, maybe Americans, maybe the UN.

Let's see what will the outcome of Sep 6 meeting be. I hope they agree on something and move ahead.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They talk about not being a failed state but a developed country...

A military coup, 'democratic' elections under martial law...

Hmmm...

Can someone please enlighten me a little. I avoid politics, though in Thailand I have followed it a little due to the unique entertainment value it seems to have here.

The way I understand the new constitution is that half the members of the 'upper house' or whatever will be appointed, directly or indirectly, by the military. So what is the interest in the elections. Surely the outcome makes no difference?

How many of The Upper House in The UK come from elections?

How many provinces were under martial law in 2005, the year when Thaksin had been in power 4 years and was about to win his second term?

21. All the military have done is add some provinces in Issan .

There's one certain advantage regarding martial law at election time. The authorities can search a house without wasting time for a warrant, and time is of the essence when you're trying to catch vote buyers.

Who remembers the incident a few years ago when one of Newin Chidchorp's canvassers in Buriram was arrested with thousands of baht in his possession, the baht being arranged in hundreds of 100 baht notes stapled to 20 baht notes !

When arrested the canvasser said he was on his way to buy a house!

He went down for a while but his boss naturally survived.

Why are the EU wanting to send observers??? did someone invite them??

who asked them for an opinion about the elections in Thailand.

Because Thailand is a failed state : Since 1932, 18 constitutions and 32 prime ministers and there have been 13 coups or attempted coups.

And a bunch of generals are ruling the country since last september after a coup against an elected government.

You didn't notice ? That's very unfortunate.

:o

EC allocates Bt40-million to organize overseas general election

The Election Commission (EC) allocates a budget of 40 million baht to organize overseas general elections expected to be held two weeks earlier than the election held in the country. The EC has instructed Thai embassies worldwide to set the ballot-casting day in their own convenience. Hopefully, the vote turnout overseas would be at over 50 percent, says the EC.

Election Commissioner Praphan Naikowit (ประพันธ์ นัยโกวิท) informs that he has attended a meeting with Director-General of the Department of Consular Affairs, Theerakun Niyom (ธีรกุล นิยม), to discuss the overseas general election. Mr Praphan says the unofficial election day is set at December 23rd while overseas election will take place two weeks earlier. As for vote counting, he says all of the ballot boxes will be brought back to the country to be counted.

At the same time, the director-general affirms the overseas general election will be free and fair and the department will conduct campaigns to draw as many Thai expatriates as possible. He also expresses his belief that the budget of 40 million baht to organize overseas election, will be sufficient.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 04 September 2007

NSC Secretary General believes abolishing martial law not appropriate at this time

The Secretary General of the National Security Council (สภาความมั่นคงแห่งชาต) believes that abolishing martial law at this time would be too hasty.

National Security Council Secretary General Prakit Prachonpacha-ngig (ประกิจ ประจนปัจจนึก) said that several factors who have to be considered before abolishing martial law during the December election period. Mr. Prakit said that officials are currently collecting information to aid in the decision, although he believes that abolishing martial law at this time will be too hasty.

The Secretary General of the National Security Council said that international opinion on Thailand's political situation are welcome but are only a small component of the Thai government's decision making process. Mr. Prakit said that the Council for National Security and the government will be responsible for handling international response towards the nation's political situation.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 04 September 2007

Dec 23 picked for Election Day

BANGKOK: -- The prime minister and the Election Commission agreed Monday to hold the next election on December 23.

EC Chairman Apichart Sukkhakhanont said Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont and the EC reached a common stand that Dec 23 would be the best timing for holding the poll.

-- The Nation 2007-08-27

Hope this isn't going to screw up Crimbo celebrations ... worst of all ... there'll presumably be a 'dry day' from dusk on 22nd Dec? :o

They obvisously want to ruin farangs holiday, well done again Thailand.

EC member says difference of opinion among EC is not discord

Election Commission member Sumate Upanisakorn (สุเมธ อุปนิสากร) said that differences in opinion among Election Commission members is normal and should not be considered conflict.

Mr. Sumate also addressed the incident in which European Union officials requested to send representatives to Thailand to monitor the nation's election process. The Election Commission member said that active interference by the EU will not be allowed though passive observation is certainly permitted. He is confident that the Election Commission will be capable of holding fair elections.

Mr. Sumate said he is not certain over whether political competition will be fierce during the election period, though officials will remain vigil through offensive strategy, intelligence gathering, and regular reports on political activities in order to prevent corruption and vote irregularities.

Permanent Secretary of Justice sees no benefits from allowing EU observers into Thailand

The Permanent Secretary of Justice has yet to determine possible benefits from allowing European Union representatives to observe Thailand's election process.

Permanent Secretary of Justice Charan Pakdeethanakul (จรัล ภักดีธนากุฃ) said that the Election Commission of Thailand will handle the European Union's request for Thailand to enter into a memorandum of understanding to acknowledge the European Union's request to send officials to observe the election process in the nation.

Mr. Charan said that the Election Commission of Thailand is soley responsible for effectively managing Thailand's elections and the European Union has no duty in such matters. Mr. Charan added that he sees no benefits from entering into a memorandum of agreement over election observation with the EU.

I believe we should change the name of this thread...

After the Z-turn of Surayud (PM) last saturday... Now the NLA starts to put its dirty fingers into the dirty soup...

Prasong Soonsiri, chairman of a committee reviewing three draft organic laws that must be passed before the election can take place, warned again on Tuesday that the general election could be delayed.

"The National Legislative Assembly has the right to scrutinise all articles and bills, and they may have doubts if some of the content is unconstitutional or not," said Prasong. He also said this could lead to having the matter decided by the Constitution Tribunal, which could delay the promised general election beyond this year.

"Please be patient," Prasong said.

Nation

"Be patient"... I love this guy. :o

They talk about not being a failed state but a developed country...

A military coup, 'democratic' elections under martial law...

Hmmm...

Can someone please enlighten me a little. I avoid politics, though in Thailand I have followed it a little due to the unique entertainment value it seems to have here.

The way I understand the new constitution is that half the members of the 'upper house' or whatever will be appointed, directly or indirectly, by the military. So what is the interest in the elections. Surely the outcome makes no difference?

How many of The Upper House in The UK come from elections?

How many provinces were under martial law in 2005, the year when Thaksin had been in power 4 years and was about to win his second term?

21. All the military have done is add some provinces in Issan .

There's one certain advantage regarding martial law at election time. The authorities can search a house without wasting time for a warrant, and time is of the essence when you're trying to catch vote buyers.

Who remembers the incident a few years ago when one of Newin Chidchorp's canvassers in Buriram was arrested with thousands of baht in his possession, the baht being arranged in hundreds of 100 baht notes stapled to 20 baht notes !

When arrested the canvasser said he was on his way to buy a house!

He went down for a while but his boss naturally survived.

Nice to know the guy went down for a while. I always assumed he had walked. I sometimes wonder how many people on here have sat around in the villages in the run up to, on and after election day and seen how the money is distributed, how the people are "advised" into voting, and since the Thaksinista regime how opponents are brutally dealt with and how information is withheld from massive areas. In massive areas of Thailand the vote is decided in block and and it decided one way or the other by money. Personally from what I have witnessed and what friends and colleagues pass on it is the power of money to buy canvassers, headmen, kamnan and other influential ones that decides elections in vast swathes of Thailand rather than the direct vote buying which I think overrated. No doubt the next election will be similar. Will the proxy party of one mans meglomaniacal fanatasy be able to buy up more vote deliverers than any proxy party set up by the military. Quite likely, but what a choice if anyone actaully believes in real democracy rather than the stilted versions favored by the military or the massacre twins Thaksin-Samak.

Provincial governors urged to fully support upcoming election

The Minister of Interior affirms that provincial governors should put their full effort into supporting the upcoming election.

Minister of Interior Aree Wong-araya (อารีย์ วงศ์อารยะ) expressed little concern over criticism on his decision to transfer governors in several provinces, and affirms that the reshuffle was appropriate. Mr. Aree said that the Election Commission of Thailand is currently investigating provinces with high corruption rates and will submit the information to the Ministry of Interior in order to allow officials to suppress vote buying, and election fraud. Mr. Aree reiterated that provincial governors will need to put their full effort into supporting the upcoming elections in order to ensure a fair and transparent election process.

Provincial governors were urged to remain impartial. The Minister of Interior affirms that its is the intent of the government and the Council for National Security to hold elections by December 23.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 September 2007

Bangkokians unsure December election will be held: Poll

Most metropolitan Bangkok residents are skeptical as to whether a general election will really take place on December 23, according to a poll by Dhurakij Pundit University.

The survey was conducted using a random sample of 1,446 persons living in Bangkok Metropolis on "Thai Politics after Passage of the 2007 Draft Charter" during September 3-4.

It found nearly 57 per cent of respondents are still unsure whether the general election will take place on December 23 while 43.5 per cent are certain that it will.

The poll showed that a firm majority -- almost 6 out of 10 respondents, or 59.2 per cent -- do not support any coup under the current circumstances and 44.2 per cent totally disagree with the idea.

Asked whether ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra had a chance to return to politics in the post-election period, almost two-thirds -- 65.5 per cent -- viewed he no longer has that opportunity, while only a little more than one-third -- 34.5 per cent -- think he still can re-enter politics.

Regarding whether a rich person could avoid corruption were he or she to administer the country, 53.3 per cent disagree and 39.4 per cent are uncertain while 7.3 per cent agree.

The poll found the qualifications city residents wanted the next prime minister to have, including having the competence to solve issues of poverty and the southern violence, and regarding the country's interests before those of party, oneself and relatives, and being honest and just.

Also, the new premier must be internationally recognised, loyal to the monarch, and capable of boosting the country's competitiveness in the international arena.

Source: TNA - 06 September 2007

Investors want election as scheduled: SET

Thailand's business community and investors want the general election to be held on December 23 as scheduled because it could lead to a clear political direction and stimulate the country's economy, according to top executives of the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET).

Responding to news that the election might be postponed because three organic bills are unlikely to be promulgated on schedule, SET president Patareeya Benjapolchai said the businesspersons and investors hoped to see the election take place as scheduled.

They believe the committee tasked to consider the organic bills would be able to deliberate them in a timely fashion.

Holding the election on schedule is crucial because a new government can be formed in the post-election period, which would clarify the country's political direction.

She said investors in the capital market want the new government to pursue implementation of the mega-projects, particularly the mass transit system for the capital, because it would help reduce the cost of transportation and provide convenience for the public, which would contribute to overall economic growth.

SET chairman Pakorn Malakul Na Ayudhya said investors in the capital market wanted to see the election happen and the new government be formed and declare its policies since it could help restore investor confidence.

He said Thailand had a strong economic fundamentals. Should the political direction be clear and the new government adopt clear policies, it would help boost economic growth.

Source: TNA - 07 September 2007

Academic supports MOU on observation of general election by EU

An academic from Chulalongkorn University indicates that the signing of a memorandum of understanding (MOU) on the European Union’s observation of the general election will do more favour to the country. However, he suggests that the MOU must be in line with Thailand’s constitution.

Polical science academic Panithan Wattanayakorn (ปณิธาน วัฒนายากร) says he agrees with the signing of the MOU as it will benefit the country’s trade and investment as well as improve Thailand's image in international communities.

Mr Panithan says further that there is not only EU but many more countries which are interested in observing the general election. In the meantime, the Election Commission reports that it will consider other countries’ request to observe the election during a meeting on September, 11th.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 07 September 2007

Bangkokians unsure December election will be held: Poll

My wife thinks that the PPP's plan is to win the election at all cost, even with foreigners observing, and, short of a win, first somehow derailing the electoral process or a coup are the other options.

I still think the PPP will not see election day.

Okay, but that would not be the fault , the responsability of PPP, right ?

I mean, we need to think straight : it's in the interest of the Junta to derail at worst or to delay at best the electoral process...

Thailand's business community and investors want the general election to be held on December 23 as scheduled because it could lead to a clear political direction and stimulate the country's economy, according to top executives of the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET).

He said Thailand had a strong economic fundamentals. Should the political direction be clear and the new government adopt clear policies, it would help boost economic growth.

It's son funny to see them, like beheaded chickens running around and repeating : "elections will solve all our problems".

"Clear political direction" and "clear policies". In Thailand ? After the elections ?

They are going to be seriously disappointed !

Okay, but that would not be the fault , the responsability of PPP, right ?

I mean, we need to think straight : it's in the interest of the Junta to derail at worst or to delay at best the electoral process...

Faster than you can say PTV, the newly formed PPP party immediately defied and keeps defying the justice system, not the junta. One can see where they're headed with such a start. They can but refuse to foresee the consequences in the end.

As for delaying or derailing, I seem to remember the old PPP, the TRT v.1.0, with a constant good average at dissolving parliament (how's that for derailment), getting an expensive election voided and it's commisioners jailed (how's that for a delay), rigging the very same election and planning on doing the same with the very next election (it was cancelled with the coup) before total meltdown when the core (Thaksin) went out of control and had to be shut down.

Nothing was learned and willful ignorance is the state of mind of the mutant party with it's strange limbs and appendices.

Faster than you can say PTV, the newly formed PPP party immediately defied and keeps defying the justice system, not the junta. One can see where they're headed with such a start. They can but refuse to foresee the consequences in the end.

As for delaying or derailing, I seem to remember the old PPP, the TRT v.1.0, with a constant good average at dissolving parliament (how's that for derailment), getting an expensive election voided and it's commisioners jailed (how's that for a delay), rigging the very same election and planning on doing the same with the very next election (it was cancelled with the coup) before total meltdown when the core (Thaksin) went out of control and had to be shut down.

I like that ! "TRT v1.0", that's very good !

As for the rest... well you preach people already convinced if I may say. However, it was the past. Sure TRT v1.0 was good at derailing, cheating... But again it was 1.5 year ago... like the previous century.

This is your weakness (unfortunatly shared by many people) : you know that TRT/Thaksin are, were absolut crooks. But you keep thinking about it, like an obsession, and you fail to see that the other "side" (within Thailand, this word doesn't reflect the reality) is on exactly the same level.

They are the 2 faces of the same rotten coin.

To dislike only one face, doesn't make sense (in my opinion).

As for the rest... well you preach people already convinced if I may say. However, it was the past. Sure TRT v1.0 was good at derailing, cheating... But again it was 1.5 year ago... like the previous century.

This is your weakness (unfortunatly shared by many people) : you know that TRT/Thaksin are, were absolut crooks. But you keep thinking about it, like an obsession, and you fail to see that the other "side" (within Thailand, this word doesn't reflect the reality) is on exactly the same level.

There are several decent politicians in the Democrats who can never be bought.

Samak's latest brag and bravado statement regarding steps when assuming power is not without reason.

1. Says he'll dissolve the Assets Examination Committee- ie civil servants watch out! Don't co-operate with this bunch they're marked men and women in a few months- and you will be to if there's any collaboration.

2. Will annul the ban on the 111 TRT executives- ie boys don't think of going anywhere, looking for new homes, we''ll all be together again living in Frank's house soon.

Permanent Secretary of Justice sees no benefits from allowing EU observers into Thailand

The Permanent Secretary of Justice has yet to determine possible benefits from allowing European Union representatives to observe Thailand's election process.

Permanent Secretary of Justice Charan Pakdeethanakul (จรัล ภักดีธนากุฃ) said that the Election Commission of Thailand will handle the European Union's request for Thailand to enter into a memorandum of understanding to acknowledge the European Union's request to send officials to observe the election process in the nation.

Mr. Charan said that the Election Commission of Thailand is soley responsible for effectively managing Thailand's elections and the European Union has no duty in such matters. Mr. Charan added that he sees no benefits from entering into a memorandum of agreement over election observation with the EU.

I love the way they make out they are completly capable of running the elections properly and how dare someone say otherwise. Have they forgotten what the old EC got up to?

Ofcourse there would be benefits, if the EU reported elections went well it would give the international community confidence and help with investment.

Anyone who plays the nationlistic card here as many close to the Junta seem to be has something to hide.

There are several decent politicians in the Democrats who can never be bought.

Samak's latest brag and bravado statement regarding steps when assuming power is not without reason.

1. Says he'll dissolve the Assets Examination Committee- ie civil servants watch out! Don't co-operate with this bunch they're marked men and women in a few months- and you will be to if there's any collaboration.

2. Will annul the ban on the 111 TRT executives- ie boys don't think of going anywhere, looking for new homes, we''ll all be together again living in Frank's house soon.

Those messages are going out loud and clear. Sanak has always been good at that and he is also known as loyal to those he sides with and quite willing to destroy enemies. Yes the message is very obvious.

PM believes election date will be on December 23rd

The Prime Minister, Gen. Surayud Chulanont (สุรยุทธ์ จุลานนท์), is confident that Thailand’s upcoming general election will definitely be held on December 23rd, 2007 as it is deemed the most appropriate time.

Gen. Surayud gave an interview on the Open Phitsanulok House program on government-owned television and radio this morning (September 8th). He believes the general election date will certainly be on December 23rd this year as he considers the date as most fitting.

The Prime Minister also says if the three organic laws of the new constitution have not been completed within 45 days, the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) Chairman can still submit the unfinished drafts to His Majesty the King for His signature.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 08 September 2007

PM believes election date will be on December 23rd

The Prime Minister, Gen. Surayud Chulanont (สุรยุทธ์ จุลานนท์), is confident that Thailand’s upcoming general election will definitely be held on December 23rd, 2007 as it is deemed the most appropriate time.

Gen. Surayud gave an interview on the Open Phitsanulok House program on government-owned television and radio this morning (September 8th). He believes the general election date will certainly be on December 23rd this year as he considers the date as most fitting.

The Prime Minister also says if the three organic laws of the new constitution have not been completed within 45 days, the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) Chairman can still submit the unfinished drafts to His Majesty the King for His signature.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 08 September 2007

It certainly seems there may be an opportunity for a few potential challenges on the legality of the upcoming election. Probably not exactly what Thailand needs.

Bush understands Thai poltical situation: Thai PM

US President George W. Bush is well-informed and understands the current political situation of Thailand as it returns to democratic rule, Prime Minister Gen. Surayud Chulanont said here Friday.

During the 15th Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in Australia, Gen. Surayud, who held a brief, casual discussion with Mr. Bush at a luncheon, quoted the US president as saying he had been well informed about Thailand's political affairs and realised that the Thai prime minister is committed to holding a general election on December 23.

Gen. Surayud gave assurances to the US president that the general election will be held in a fair and clean fashion, and that the European Union's proposal to monitor the race to parliament is being considered by the Election Commission on condition that the EU Election Observation Mission strictly observe Thai laws.

Mr. Bush invited all ASEAN leaders to visit the US but Gen. Surayud said he would not be able to do so and that such a matter would certainly be handled by a post-election government instead.

Gen. Surayud said that all ASEAN partners had followed Thailand's political developments and understood that democratic rule is returning to this country. The Myanmar issue was not raised over lunch, however.

The prime minister added that US drug manufacturers, whose representatives had observed the APEC summit in Australia, will negotiate with the Thai Ministry of Public Health regarding drug patents and compulsory licensing issues in the foreseeable future and said he had informed them of legislation on foreign business in Thailand currently being deliberated by the National Legislative Assembly.

Source: TNA - 08 September 2007

Dec 23 picked for Election Day

BANGKOK: -- The prime minister and the Election Commission agreed Monday to hold the next election on December 23.

EC Chairman Apichart Sukkhakhanont said Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont and the EC reached a common stand that Dec 23 would be the best timing for holding the poll.

-- The Nation 2007-08-27

does this mean we will see more "extra fireworks" around the city on New Years Eve when they are not happy with the result? (like we did last year)

submit the unfinished drafts to His Majesty the King for His signature

OK guys ,

any precident for this ?

one for A.T and slimdog maybe ...........

Iirc the Thaksin regime had a number of submitted pieces of paperwork returned unsigned because they were incomplete or legal issues had been missed.

thanxs , sounds familiar ........

.......... ........ .......... ............ ............

Aree: Govt is speeding up election

BREAKING NEWS

(BangkokPost.com) - Interior Minister Aree Wongarya insisted the general election will be held as soon as possible.

An early poll will put Thailand in a better light, he added.

snip

bangkokpost.com

Another illegal poll will put Thailand in a .......... light

After a year or so without elections if it is just a week or so to get the legal stuff sorted why not just wait? Everyone will be doing new year stuff anyway. It is hardly a time for a mass riot or for the international community to notice a week or two delay. There must be another reason for wanting Dec 23.