Dec 23 Picked For Election Day

george

They are either off their collective trolleys by shutting down the entire country at the busiest time of the year. How many million tourist will be grumbling round in the evenings looking at closed bars?

Yes, because thats the important thing here, that tourists/expats can still get drunk.

Whatever you views on this, and whether its morraly right or wrong. People drink, they enjoy a drink and many having worked year round to pay for this holiday will be peeved at the least at this idiotic decision.

The importan thing in any business is that you keep your customers happy, or at worst, satisfied. Many people loose a lot of money through these dry days at a time of year when they are making back money to pay debts incurred in the low season.

People like you, who are morally superior and have enough money not to be affected by this, should think of others just once in a while.

Now I am as cynical as the next man about Thai democracy but it is their country after all and when they choose to have theior elections is really up to them - I am sorry the sex tourists in Pattaya will be inconvenienced but the majority of visitors to the country will not really be bothered.

Oh and before you try the morally superior angle forget it - I bevvy enough :o

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats all the fuss about, its ONE night, and this is about Thailand's future, i can't believe the childish and disrespectful attitude here. this is a country of 65 million not some small pacific island or colonial outpost that needs to pander to your right as a visitor to get inebriated for one day.

stock up on your own alcohol now that you know in advance.

i actually think its a good day to be holding elections, end of the year, people are less busy to step out and make a vote. plus the 24th will likely be a public holiday, which is a bonus for those of us working here since christmas is never a public holiday here.

whats all the fuss about, its ONE night, and this is about Thailand's future, i can't believe the childish and disrespectful attitude here. this is a country of 65 million not some small pacific island or colonial outpost that needs to pander to your right as a visitor to get inebriated for one day.

i actually think its a good day to be holding elections, end of the year, people are less busy to step out and make a vote. plus the 24th will likely be a public holiday, which is a bonus for those of us working here since christmas is never a public holiday here.

Maybe its not just the booze for them - what if the girls go upcountry to vote and also have the 24th off :D

I was planning a very long boozy lunch at the Marriott Riverside that day but I guess I can give it a miss - I do have an exam on the 3rd January too - I was thinking I should complain to the business school I am at about that date for an exam - joking :o

I wholly agree your comments, particularly your point about being disrespectful.I'm no admirer of the junta but the asinine responses on this thread do make me sympathise with the wish in many Thai quarters to reduce bad foreign influences.Frankly I think Thailand should try and position itself to move away from the low rent booze and broads tourist/visa runner market.It would be beneficial to Thailand and I suspect also for this forum.

To sum up it is entirely a matter for the Thais to decide when their election is to be held, and it is a dam cheek for this to be questioned by a few farang.

For once we are in total agreement. Well written.

I wholly agree your comments, particularly your point about being disrespectful.I'm no admirer of the junta but the asinine responses on this thread do make me sympathise with the wish in many Thai quarters to reduce bad foreign influences.Frankly I think Thailand should try and position itself to move away from the low rent booze and broads tourist/visa runner market.It would be beneficial to Thailand and I suspect also for this forum.

To sum up it is entirely a matter for the Thais to decide when their election is to be held, and it is a dam cheek for this to be questioned by a few farang.

:o No comment!

To sum up it is entirely a matter for the Thais to decide when their election is to be held,

now if you had only stopped at the above

and it is a dam cheek for this to be questioned by a few farang.

you wouldn't have got a lecture about free speach ............................ :o

CNS chief to honour election results

Tuesday 28 August 2007 08:27:41 PM (GMT+7:00)

Thailand's Council for National Security (CNS) chief Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratkalin said Tuesday he would unconditionally recognise the results of the general election scheduled for December 23, even if it were won by elements of the previous Thaksin administration and called on those who may take the military junta to task to keep national security matters separate from political events.

The Army chief assured he would unquestionably accept the outcome of the December election in accordance with the majority of voters' decisions, no matter if those connected with the previous regime might be elected and form a new government.

snip

MCOT Public Company Limited.

"called on those who may take the military junta to task to keep national security matters separate from political events."

Errm????

Maybe he should have thought about that early last September

:o:D:D

or maybe we should all move to Singapore. the pure democracy with freedom of speech.... :D

Prime Minister objects to EU observing December election

Last Update : 2007-08-28 / 21:07:39 (GMT+7:00)

Thai Prime Minister Gen. Surayud Chulanont had expressed his objection to a proposal for the European Union (EU) to monitor Thailand's general election in independent fashion, according to Election Commission secretary general Suthiphol Thaweechaikarn.

snip

MCOT Public Company Limited.

Thai PM objects to EU observing election

Thai Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont had expressed his objection to the European Union (EU) proposal to monitor Thailand's general election in independent fashion, Thai News Agency on Tuesday quoted Election Commission ( EC) Secretary General Suthiphol Thaweechaikarn as saying.

The EU proposal suggested EU officials monitor Thailand's general election, scheduled for December 23, in independent fashion. However, Surayud had voiced his objection to such an idea during a recent talk with the EC chairman Aphichart Sukhagganond, Suthiphol said.

Under the EU proposal, a Memorandum Of Understanding (MOU) would be signed between the Commission and the EU to facilitate the independent monitoring.

According to Suthiphol, Surayud was against signing the proposed MOU, which he viewed would put Thailand in the position of a "Fail State" where an election was bound for observation by a foreign community as in the case of East Timor.

If Thailand agree to the proposal, that means EU representatives would practically perform in independent fashion, be given access to polling units, make inquiries with high-level government officials and hold a press conference about anything related to the election in this country, Suthiphol explained.

In that way, the EC personnel would work with more difficulties than necessary, Suthiphol added.

Surayud announced Monday that the general election date is set on Dec. 23, after consultation with the EC chairman, and the Thai PM vowed to do its utmost to ensure a free and fair election.

The election is considered as a crucial step to "restore democracy" to Thailand, more than one year after the military launched a coup to ousted the elected government led by Thaksin Shinawatra on Sept. 19 last year and installed the Surayud-led interim government.

Some critics had suggested inviting international watchdog agencies to observe the polls to ensure the credibility of the results.

Source: Xinhua - 29 August 2007

"called on those who may take the military junta to task to keep national security matters separate from political events."

Errm????

Maybe he should have thought about that early last September

:o:D:D

or maybe we should all move to Singapore. the pure democracy with freedom of speech.... :D

Agree with you regarding the democracy and freedom of speech and democracy in Singapore- did you think I would not? - that is where you and I differ - you have blinkers and can not apply value judgements across the board no matter where.

<snip>

Edited by Jai Dee
Flame comment deleted

If Thailand agree to the proposal, that means EU representatives would practically perform in independent fashion, be given access to polling units, make inquiries with high-level government officials and hold a press conference about anything related to the election in this country, Suthiphol explained.

In that way, the EC personnel would work with more difficulties than necessary, Suthiphol added.

He is quite generous to be concerned about the workload for the foreign observers. I see nothing between the lines here. :o

Thai Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont had expressed his objection to the European Union (EU) proposal to monitor Thailand's general election in independent fashion....Surayud was against signing the proposed MOU, which he viewed would put Thailand in the position of a "Fail State" where an election was bound for observation by a foreign community as in the case of East Timor.

I would well imagine they would not want the election independantly monitored. :o

He is quite generous to be concerned about the workload for the foreign observers. I see nothing between the lines here. :o

I must admit I am a bit uncomfortable with the EU "offering" to monitor but Thailand could do itself a favour and gain credibilty by asking for independent monitoring from an independent body - does not have to be EU.

it's quite common practice for independent monitors to observe election proceedings worldwide. even the 2004 election in the us was monitored by a team of about 20 independent democracy experts from 15 different countries. recent elections in the uk were monitored by 30 observers from the open rights group as well (though they were all based in the uk). if you have nothing to hide, you should have nothing to fear. :o

Thailand has in the past invited observers to monitor elections as have many countries. Maybe they should again this time around. However, no country outside of war zone ones is going to accept an offer by a foreign group to come and observe elections. The difference is between being invited and inviting yourself.

As others have noted many countries on a regular basis ofer invites to outside observers. Maybe Thailand will do this yet.

Thailand has in the past invited observers to monitor elections as have many countries. Maybe they should again this time around. However, no country outside of war zone ones is going to accept an offer by a foreign group to come and observe elections. The difference is between being invited and inviting yourself.

As others have noted many countries on a regular basis ofer invites to outside observers. Maybe Thailand will do this yet.

They can get former US President Jimmy Carter to do it. He signed off on Venezuela's 2004 election when both indpendent exit polling and pre-election polls showed the exact opposite the official result. And it wasn't a 51/49 tossup, it was closer to a 60/40 vote split.

They can get former US President Jimmy Carter to do it. He signed off on Venezuela's 2004 election when both indpendent exit polling and pre-election polls showed the exact opposite the official result. And it wasn't a 51/49 tossup, it was closer to a 60/40 vote split.

It was somewhat embarrassing for the US government that Carter said it was a free and fair election if I rememebr correctly.

I dont know if Thailand will ever invite someone as high profile however. It is usually a small and low profile group thast gets to see little.

Apparently the problem lies not in observing elections per se but in a legal way to go about it. Thais don't want to sign the standard Memorandum of Understanding for whatever reasons, including Indonesian experience with the observers.

I think they will find a compromise in the end.

According to Suthiphol, Surayud was against signing the proposed MOU, which he viewed would put Thailand in the position of a "Fail State" where an election was bound for observation by a foreign community as in the case of East Timor.

anybody read the article , or just the headline ???

I must admit I am a bit uncomfortable with the EU "offering" to monitor but Thailand could do itself a favour and gain credibilty by asking for independent monitoring from an independent body - does not have to be EU.

I agree that it would not make sense to allow just one country to come in and watch things, but I would be surprised if some foreign observers are not invited. Thailand's elections are monitored by P-Net, which is the the group that provided the information on the April 2006 election that ultimately led to the election being declared null and void. Their chairman (retired military) has been a foreign observer in other countries' elections, hence I doubt the current government would have a problem with others coming here.

EU can observe the election: Apichart

But signing an MoU would be like ceding sovereignty, says EC chief

Thailand will allow the European Union to observe the upcoming general election but will not sign a Memorandum of Understanding over the observation, Election Commission chairman Apichart Sukhagganond said yesterday.

He said Thailand would allow representatives from the EU to observe the election for transparency.

However, the representatives must observe Thailand's laws and will not be allowed to interfere or cause inconvenience in the election process such as looking over the shoulders of voters.

Signing an MoU would be tantamount to handing over power or ceding the country's sovereignty, Apichart said.

The EU will contact Thailand to discuss the details in late September, but a figure of more than 250 observers might be too high for many reasons including those of security, he said.

EC secretary-general Sutthipol Taweechaikarn said Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont also disagreed with the MoU as it could obstruct local officials' work.

The MoU the EU expected to make is the one it usually makes with failed states, not with developed countries, Sutthipol said.

Surayud and the EC discussed a suitable date for the election on Monday. Sutthipol said that if Thailand signed an MoU with the EU, it would have to give such privileges to other countries.

"I talked to an Indonesian election commissioner. He said the Indonesian EC did not sign an MoU with the EU but the government did - and it caused many difficulties for officials and put them under much pressure. However, the prime minister said he would not allow the MoU," Sutthipol said.

EC officials have been informed to be wary of some so-called observers and their objectives.

During the charter referendum, some people representing themselves as officials from the US Embassy contacted the Surin Provincial Election Commission for observation rights. But the conduct of these people was considered suspicious as they did not inform the national Election Commission as they were supposed to, Sutthipol said.

- The Nation

I do feel rather uncomfortable with following. Given the experiences of the referendum, where opponents of the new constitution were harassed and hindered in their campaigns, i don't think that upholding martial law will guarantee free and fair elections.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30046985

No need to lift martial law: Prasong

There is no need to lift martial law still effective in 35 provinces before the general election, said Prasong Soonsiri, member of the junta-appointed National Legislative Assembly (NLA) who chairs the special committee reviewing three draft organic bills required before the general elections.

"It's not necessary. Maintaining martial law may better help keep peace and order," Prasong told reporters Wednesday.

"Especially now that the Thai Rak Thai group is trying to have it lifted, they may have some intention and want some convenience ... so we can't allow it."

The Nation

Chart Thai Party calls on all parties to accept election date set by PM and EC

The Chart Thai Party calls on all political parties to accept the general election date set by the interim government and the Election Commission (EC) of Thailand.

The Chart Thai deputy leader Somsak Prisana-nanthakul (สมศักดิ์ ปริศนานันทกุล) says criticisms over the national election date will only serve to increase conflict. He is therefore calling on all parties to respect Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont and the EC’s decision to set December 23rd as an election date.

Mr. Somsak says he agrees with EC Chairman Apichart Sukhagganond (อภิชาติ สุขัคคานนท์)’s decision to bar European Union observers from investigating Thailand's election process. Mr. Somsak believes that foreign observation of Thai elections constituted infringement of the nation's sovereignty and independence.

The deputy leader of the Chart Thai Party believes that the government and the Council for National Security should abolish martial law throughout the nation in order to allow political parties and groups the freedom to conduct political activities.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 August 2007

This will be the dirtiest election for a while, and both sides will do everything they can to insure it is not exactly democratic. Of course the Junta will use their connections and power to try and influence and of course the PPP brigade will use their vast amounts of black money to buy any politician cum whore who can deliver them something.

And that is before we even look at the failed and evil who are returning to Thai politcs. Samak - cheerleader of massacres and meglomaniac. Chavalit destroyer of economies and of course we shouldnt mention the Ban Rom Khlao debacle or the incident at a foreign airbase back in the cold war days. Why not dig old Montri up and stick him at the head of a we love mega projects party? And amazingly the poodle like Thai media just sucks up to these old dinosaurs with hardly a mention of their failed, disastrous and blood frenzied pasts. A choice betwen a self confessed proxy party for a single man led by the "hero of 1976" and filled with the feudal overlords of certain rural areas or a party or two put together to represent the interests of a few generals if indeed these parties ever form before they get bought off by the other side is just about what Thailand needs. What a choice.

This will be the dirtiest election for a while, and both sides will do everything they can to insure it is not exactly democratic. Of course the Junta will use their connections and power to try and influence and of course the PPP brigade will use their vast amounts of black money to buy any politician cum whore who can deliver them something.

And that is before we even look at the failed and evil who are returning to Thai politcs. Samak - cheerleader of massacres and meglomaniac. Chavalit destroyer of economies and of course we shouldnt mention the Ban Rom Khlao debacle or the incident at a foreign airbase back in the cold war days. Why not dig old Montri up and stick him at the head of a we love mega projects party? And amazingly the poodle like Thai media just sucks up to these old dinosaurs with hardly a mention of their failed, disastrous and blood frenzied pasts. A choice betwen a self confessed proxy party for a single man led by the "hero of 1976" and filled with the feudal overlords of certain rural areas or a party or two put together to represent the interests of a few generals if indeed these parties ever form before they get bought off by the other side is just about what Thailand needs. What a choice.

Spot on Hammered, but did you really expect a change ?