Obscene Gestures

Dr. Burrito

the clenched fist (mock masturbation) shake seems to pass them by,the middle finger get them wound up . :o

Try flying a kite. Usually raises a giggle. Not particularly useful for heat of the moment kind of stuff, though. For that, try spitting chillis in their face and dry humping the offending party. :D (ahem)

QUOTE(tahaan @ 2007-08-28 14:28:57)

The raised sole certainly seems to be the big one here. I've seen Thai bikers doing it to oncoming vehicles that force them over to the side of the road. I'm not sure it's a good idea to stir up a maniac behind the wheel of a bus who's bearing down on you!

Yes, I agree completely, and Farangs SHOULD NEVER do this. You have no idea what context you are conveying, and in Thais eyes maybe don't have the right to escalate it. You may be gang banged for this.

I'd say no one should do it. Only a very low class Thai with no education would do this.

I was driving into work this morning and on a small back soi, a farang was, I guess, being kept from turning right into another little soi by a Thai person in their car wanting out.

The farang goes over to the car motioning for them to back up, etc, but they apparently wouldn't yield.

I've no idea who was in the right here, but the farang was clearly as angry as he could be, so as we walked back to his car, he stops in the middle of the street and flashes the old middle finger in a very embellished fashion.

Nothing happened as a result and he got in his car and let traffic clear.

But as I know very little of specific gestures in Thailand, it did make me curious if it was considered that offensive or not. he thought he was telling them off, clearly. Did they take it as dramatically as him you reckon? If so, they weren't inclined to make a scene about it.

Do Thai's have a different set of gestures to make the same point or the same? Was he possibly risking a serious reaction by his gesture?

Just curious, as other than seeing Thai's blow up and chase people with cleavers or kettles, far more serious gestures than a finger, I've never seen any particular '<deleted> you' gesture.

Dr. B

Not an advisable thing to do at all. I have personal and anecdotal experience of being chased thru the streets of Chiangmai after honking my horn. I took refuge in the police station. Losing face is a concept we do not understand, and to be overtaken by a guy waving a gun out of his passenger window, taught me a very valuable lesson.

As i was driving home thisevening, i inadvertantly cut up a motorcyclist. He quite rightly blasted his hooter, but as he passed me he gave me the thumbs down sign. Quite harmless in England, but does it mean any more over here? :o

Only that he thought your a rubbish driver I would think. :D:D

Hi madjbs

I like to think of myself as a safe driver (Don't we all :o )

However, at the time, I believe i had, what is commonly referred to as a 'momentary lapse in concentration' :D

The motorcyclist was quite right to be pi$$ed off with me.