Maxnet Hi Speed Internet(promotion)

R123

Wow. I just ran the TV Speedtest after reading this thread.

160kBs/39kBs. The usual for the past 10 months that I've been on 512/256 has been about 53kBs.

But I'm still a bit confused. From reading some posts the new cost for 1mbs will be just under 600Baht. I am paying 790+ for the 512/256 service so will my bill go down as my speed goes up?

Darn, I think it's time to learn to read Thai. No fun being illiterate.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Over the past few months Maxnet Indy subscribers who have been with Maxnet for 12 months have been upgraded as follows

256/128 Subscribers to 512/256 cost 590 Baht/Mth

512/256 Subscribers to 1024/512 cost 790 Baht/Mth

1024/512 Subscribers to 2048/512 cost 1000 Baht/Mth

As far as I can tell, Maxnet are running a new promotion until 31st December.

It seems that all subscribers have been, or will be, upgraded again as follows

512/256 to 1024/512 cost 590 Baht/ Mth (normal cost 1,000 Baht/Mth)

1024/512 to 1536/512 cost 790 Baht/Mth (normal cost 1,500 Baht/Mth)

2048/512 no change cost 1000 Baht/Mth (normal cost 2,000 Baht/Mth)

Nothing has been published, as far as I know, regarding what happens when the promotion finishes. Do they start charging the normal prices for the services?, Will the speeds be reduced if customers don't want to pay new prices? What about customers that have paid in advance? Who knows?

At first I got a flyer in with the bill saying doubling of speed for customers of 1 yr or more (I have only had TT&T for 5months).

But yesterday got a letter saying not necess to wait 1 yr I will be upgraded to double speed automatically by Sept 30

I revise my above post.....this morning, the interenet was indeed pretty fast but over the day the speed went down a lot!

/edit: in neutral figures: 539/209 with the TV speedtest on a nominal 2 Mbit line....we saw that faster on 1 Mbit!

/ edit again: Now I get 1900/144......it's a bit fluctuating, hmm....

Edited by raro

I revise my above post.....this morning, the interenet was indeed pretty fast but over the day the speed went down a lot!

/edit: in neutral figures: 539/209 with the TV speedtest on a nominal 2 Mbit line....we saw that faster on 1 Mbit!

What is you status connection saying in your router about your speed ?

maybe you can see what connection you have now from Maxnet 1Mbit or 2Mbit.

It says 2.5 Mbit ad this morning we experienced a torrent download of 150 KBps!!

:o

It says 2.5 Mbit ad this morning we experienced a torrent download of 150 KBps!!

Okay, but 2.5Mbit and only 150 kbps is not great at all when you router say 2.5Mbit.

My router is still on the old packed (Premier) i dont know why some get upgraded allready, and me not !

WAN Port Statistics:

Link Status: Up

Upstream Speed: 506 kbps

Downstream Speed: 1020 kbps

I hope to get the upgrade soon... been customer for about 1½ year...

Edited by putdk

My router is still on the old packed (Premier) i dont know why some get upgraded allready, and me not !

WAN Port Statistics:

Downstream Speed: 1020 kbps

I hope to get the upgrade soon... been customer for about 1½ year...

PERFECT........ today i wake up and checking my routers staus about the speed connections and wow i get upgraded,

so they make it in the night, before i go sleep last night it was still on the old packed.

NEW:

WAN Port Statistics:

Upstream Speed: 509 kbps

Downstream Speed: 1925 kbps

Thx. Maxnet :o

Edited by putdk

got the upgrade automatically 3 days ago. service still shite² sometimes several hours impossible to log on and in between for minutes connection interrupted/

have since 30 minutes TOT as second provider on a separate fixed phone line. rather slow but seems more reliable and less erratic.

I thought something was up when I saw d/l speeds of 90 Kbps a few days back.

Then I looked up the promotions and saw the 1 MBps offer so I legged it to the TT&T office to beg for the immediate upgrade not realising I had it already.

Brought down a 4.5GB version of Mr Bean's holiday yesterday at maximum speed 100+ uninterrupted

Started on dial up 6 years ago, so I can say for sure to have 1024/512 @ 599 + is just fine.

Can d/l films quicker than one can watch them :o

I've been a TT&T MaxNet customer for over two years. Several months ago I renewed my B1000/mo contract by prepaying six months of 1024/512 service.

Last month (or was it the month before?) they automatically upgraded me to 2048/512 service.

I just now checked my router status, and am currently 2560/512, so apparently there was another automatic upgrade?

Got that letter as well but not sure which speed I am going to get. Currently I am on 1024/512, so will I get 2048/512 or even 2560/512?

Anyway, always nice to get something extra for free and after almost one year subscription I am quite happy with Maxnet!

I got the letter today too.

Maybe they need to "up the speed" to cope with all the Youtube vids people are now watching....? :o

PERFECT again Thanx MAXNET this company rocks the internet in Thailand now...

Today i wake up and check email and try donwload something, it was not good and the line drop many times... to same as 56K old modem line.. bad...

Then i try login to my Zyxel prestige 660HW-61 router/modem and check all status and reset the router (not the factory reset).

then my router changes to a new packed and more fast speed:

System up Time: 0:05:08

CPU Load: 28.53%

WAN Port Statistics:

Downstream Speed: 2554 kbps

So now i have the 2.5 MBit line from MAXNET and still paying for my 1024 line Premier packed (3400,-)

so people out there if your line drop out many time in one day try reset / reboot your router and maybe you then get the new packed.

I was trying to download something and i can peak it now to 260 KB/sec. VERY VERY nice, i never se that speed before here in Thailand...

Edited by putdk

PERFECT again Thanx MAXNET this company rocks the internet in Thailand now...

Today i wake up and check email and try donwload something, it was not good and the line drop many times... to same as 56K old modem line.. bad...

Then i try login to my Zyxel prestige 660HW-61 router/modem and check all status and reset the router (not the factory reset).

then my router changes to a new packed and more fast speed:

WAN Port Statistics:

So now i have the 2.5 MBit line from MAXNET and still paying for my 1024 line Premier packed (3400,-)

so people out there if your line drop out many time in one day try reset / reboot your router and maybe you then get the new packed.

I was trying to download something and i can peak it now to 260 KB/sec. VERY VERY nice, i never se that speed before here in Thailand...

Hmmm. They change fro a second time today, now im on this speed:

System up Time: 3:28:28

CPU Load: 24.92%

WAN Port Statistics:

Downstream Speed: 2174 kbps

Anybody in here with same problem, maybe they are testing many things these days !

and thats maybe why i get many drop outs in one day.

Just received a letter from Maxnet offering a "Hi Speed Internet" , which seems to be from the chart given in the letter, a doubling of ones' present connection speed ; unfortunately the letter from Maxnet is only in Thai and no English translation; and same goes for their web site.

Rather than phone them (and waste all day :o ), does anyone know about this, and the details, and is it worth going for ?

Thank you in advance.

Seems like there are many happy Maxnet customers out there.

Can we have some more feed back regarding speeds during the times between 7am - 1pm ?? Does it slow down much??

Also are there many drop outs??

I'll be looking for a provider very soon, and its very important I have high speeds during the mornings and early afternoon for my business.

I really can't afford to get this wrong.

Cheers

Was in TT&T Maxnet local shop in Pattaya the other day, paying the bill, and they tell me it will be automatically doubled up at end of the month... to my 1029 wil be up to 2050 ish... interesting to see if speed and even VOIP quality will be better, though people say this is not a major factor in VOIP call quality. Still I would rather have the double speed than not have it for VOIP...in case I have to use another web application when on a work call etc....

WAN Port Statistics:

WAN Port Statistics:

I'm wondering why your modem is not showing the full 512kbps upstream, and if it is also reporting a less-than-full speed for the downstream speed.

My Zyxel modem shows:

System up Time: 21:53:10

CPU Load: 1.23%

WAN Port Statistics:

Upstream Speed: 512 kbps

Downstream Speed: 2560 kbps

WAN Port Statistics:

WAN Port Statistics:

I'm wondering why your modem is not showing the full 512kbps upstream, and if it is also reporting a less-than-full speed for the downstream speed.

My Zyxel modem shows:

System up Time: 21:53:10

CPU Load: 1.23%

WAN Port Statistics:

Hey wpcoe, thanx for your info.

I dont know why its never show the full upload speed. today again its changed

System up Time: 1:31:19

CPU Load: 0.28%

WAN Port Statistics:

Downstream Speed: 2461 kbps

And now its down to 506 not 509 more... dont know why !!!

Can you maybe try in your Zyxel router go in:

Maintenance/Diagnostic/General and click on RESET SYSTEM and when its finish reseting, try loign again and check if its the same up/down speed you have in the Status of the Zyxel router.

Edited by putdk

System up Time: 3:12:57

CPU Load: 0.31%

WAN Port Statistics:

Woo hooo! :o

Now I need a faster 'puter!

(International access was dead for a few hours this afternoon-evening, but it's all sorted now).

WAN Port Statistics:

Maintenance/Diagnostic/General and click on RESET SYSTEM and when its finish reseting, try loign again and check if its the same up/down speed you have in the Status of the Zyxel router.

Did as requested, reset the modem:

System up Time: 0:01:11

CPU Load: 1.37%

WAN Port Statistics:

When I had some line problems a while ago (early last year?) and they sent a technician over. I was using a basic Zyxel modem at that time and it would report slightly less than expected numbers like your does, and he said "modem no good" but I have no idea if that were true or not. Now I'm using a newer Zyxel (the same 660HW-61 as you) and it shows the full speeds.

Maybe updated modem firmware would help? At http://www.zyxel.com/web/support_download_...=20040906164737 using the "download search" function on the right side of the page for 660HW-61 brings up firmware version "3.40(PE.11)C0" dated 11/10/2006. Is that more current that what you have? I used that firmware update to be able to use WPA2-PSK encryption for WiFi.

WAN Port Statistics:

Did as requested, reset the modem:

System up Time: 0:01:11

CPU Load: 1.37%

WAN Port Statistics:

When I had some line problems a while ago (early last year?) and they sent a technician over. I was using a basic Zyxel modem at that time and it would report slightly less than expected numbers like your does, and he said "modem no good" but I have no idea if that were true or not. Now I'm using a newer Zyxel (the same 660HW-61 as you) and it shows the full speeds.

Maybe updated modem firmware would help? At http://www.zyxel.com/web/support_download_...=20040906164737 using the "download search" function on the right side of the page for 660HW-61 brings up firmware version "3.40(PE.11)C0" dated 11/10/2006. Is that more current that what you have? I used that firmware update to be able to use WPA2-PSK encryption for WiFi.

Okay, i still get many different speeds near everyday at the moment: my Zyxel Prestige 660HW-61 have this in status now:

System Status

System Name:

ZyNOS F/W Version: V3.40(PE.11) | 05/22/2006

DSL FW Version:TI AR7 05.01.03.00

Standard:Error

Do you know why i have the ERROR on standard ?

I can see that im not using the same firmware as you, but i will try update it now.

P-660HW-61 Firmware

P-660HW-61 Firmware 3.40(PE.11)C0

last update: 2006-11-10 00:00:00.

/edit......Now i made the upgrade but nothing changes in the status:

System Status

System Name:

WHAT is your info in Status about firmware ???

Edited by putdk

System Name:

WHAT is your info in Status about firmware ???

System Name:

Standard:ADSL_G.dmt

In the .pdf Users Guide that I have it says the "Standard:" on the System Maintenance: Information page "refers to the operational protocol the [modem] and the DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer) are using."

Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.DMT G.dmt appears to relate to ADSL2, which is appropriate for my TT&T Maxnet 2056/512 account. However, I see no place where that standard is user-selected in the modem/router's manual settings, so I suspect the modem auto-senses and chooses it. Why yours shows "Error" is a mystery, but I suspect it's the cause of the unstable reports you get on the speed statistics reported by the modem.

The only other thing I can think of it to set the Zyxel back to default configuration and start over, but if you've tweaked your settings as much as I have (setting up the WPA2-PSK encryption was an elaborate and delicate dance I wouldn't want to re-choreograph!), it could be a real pain.

putdk: Just a quick check. These are my WAN settings, do they match yours?

Mode:
Routing

Encapsulation:
PPPoE

Multiplex:
LLC

VPI:

VCI:

ATM QoS type:
UBR

Cell Rate: all three set to

Obtain an IP Address Automatically (selected)

Nailed-Up Connection (selected)

PPPoE Pass Through:
No

Zero Configuration:
No

Was in TT&T Maxnet local shop in Pattaya the other day, paying the bill, and they tell me it will be automatically doubled up at end of the month... to my 1029 wil be up to 2050 ish... interesting to see if speed and even VOIP quality will be better, though people say this is not a major factor in VOIP call quality. Still I would rather have the double speed than not have it for VOIP...in case I have to use another web application when on a work call etc....

The problem is this. Thailand only has a 19.2Mbps pipe to the outside world. So your ISP can give you 1, 2, or 8 Mbps connection for all they care, but that is only the theoretical maximum. The best I have managed outside Thailand is 400kbps from my fat (3.5Mbps) pipe at Uni. At home I get 200kpbs AT most (from 1.5Mbps) connection.

You won't even get the theoretical maximum for local connections. Because the ISPs can't afford to give *everyone* a 2Mbps connection. So they give about 50 people a 2Mpbs connection and hope that those 50 people don't use all of their bandwidth all the time. The number of people you share your connection with are called the contention ratio, and high contention ratios should be okay, if most people used the internet for web surfing. But when people start using P2P apps that run 24/7 hogging all the bandwidth all the time, contention ratios become an issue.

I will start cheering once Thailand gets a fatter pipe to the outside world, and ISPs reduce the contention ratio.

The problem is this. Thailand only has a 19.2Mbps pipe to the outside world.

So what do the numbers on this map mean?: http://www.cat.net.th/internetmap/bigmap.html

I do apologise. It should've read 19.2Gbps. In my defense, I was only off by one letter :o

If every single one of Thailand's 1 million broadband users used the Internet 24/7 in a bandwidth intensive manner, each users would only get 19Kbps. In other words, it will only take 20,000 heavy users, or 2% of the total, with 1Mbps connections to swamp the network. But my own research suggests this number is about 50,000 or 5%. Thailand would need to increase its external bandwidth about 10 fold before we will see a marked performance improvement.

I do apologise. It should've read 19.2Gbps. In my defense, I was only off by one letter :o

If every single one of Thailand's 1 million broadband users used the Internet 24/7 in a bandwidth intensive manner, each users would only get 19Kbps. In other words, it will only take 20,000 heavy users, or 2% of the total, with 1Mbps connections to swamp the network. But my own research suggests this number is about 50,000 or 5%. Thailand would need to increase its external bandwidth about 10 fold before we will see a marked performance improvement.

Ah, OK. :D

This site also shows about 20 Gbps international bandwidth: http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/band...p?Sec=bandwidth

Edited by JetsetBkk