Good Manners When Driving In Los

Steve2UK

Having driven in London for 30+ years, I'm a] well used to right-hand drive and b] pretty considerate to other drivers - e.g. in terms of allowing them to enter from a side road/overtake/change lanes etc........... and c] using a hand gesture to show my appreciation if they let me do the same.

It's c] that I'm wondering about. The norm in the UK is to raise your left hand once you're ahead of the driver who let you through - so he/she will see it through your rear window. Leaving aside that you may have heavily tinted glass (so the driver behind may not see it), it occurs to me that using your left hand for almost anything in LOS is usually considered rude. So - is my well-intentioned gesture of thanks actually not a good thing?

I do notice that most Thai drivers and pedestrians don't even bother to show any reaction if I stop/slow down to let them pass or cross; if they do, it's usually a vigorous bow of the head.......... but that's not always practical to do. And, yes, I do know that many Thai drivers don't stop/slow down for anyone or anything; after all, that wouldn't fit in with their notion that they are the only vehicle on the road :o . Seems to be different in a parking lot - nearly everyone bows and smiles....... maybe because it's more "face to face"?

On single lane roads, when a truck or bus eases to the left and/or indicates left (signalling to me that it's safe to overtake), my practice is to give a couple of flashes of my hazard lights once I get in front - to say "thanks" (as is the norm with pro - e.g. truck and bus - drivers in Europe). But I don't see others doing it here. Any thoughts about that?

Forget it.

Agred with Neeranam....these people appreciate nothing when giving way, I try to keep some level of decent driving manners but find it almost impossible to keep up for any length of time. Your journey time will probably double whilst practicing your road etiguette (sp) It's a sad thing to say but as "Neeranam" says...forget it

No reason to adopt the worst habits of the locals. If you feel it's polite to make a gesture of thanks it's no harm doing so.

but let's hope that some drunken son of a politician does not misinterpret it and come chasing after you with his gun toting buddies :o

I agree with cdnvic - I always try to drive courteously, in the hope that a small percentage might understand and appreciate my intentions. My wife explained to me that a couple of alternate right-turn/left-turn signals is understood as a way of saying "thank you", and I adopt this when someone lets me through. I must admit I have never been the recipient of such a signal, but that doesn't matter, I will continue.

On a side note, the most extreme road courtesy I have seen is in South Africa; approaching a vehicle from behind, intending to overtake, they will pull over onto the hard shoulder to let you past. Having passed, you flash hazard lights to say "thanks". They then wave to save "mai pen rai".

I was given some very good advice when I first started working in foreign countries many years ago. “Drive like the locals and you’ll have fewer accidents”. That advice has worked well for me.

Many signals you’re familiar with at home have different meanings outside your home country and you’ll end up having an accident. Also remember Thailand has a mishmash of drivers from all over the world so it could be another farang you confuse.

Your example of indicating left being safe to overtake has resulted in many tourists having head-on accidents and being killed in Oz. In Australia that signal meant it was unsafe to overtake or a car was approaching.

Just observe the locals and follow what they do. You’ll cause less accidents this way.

I try to do the same here as back in OZ more for my own sake than anything else. Mostly if falls flat, but pedestrians do appricate you letting them cross.

The funniest for me is when you leave a gap so that someone can merge in slow moving traffic. They never take it as they almost can't beleive it is there, they would rather speed up and try and jam their way into some non exisitant gap somewhere else.

Just observe the locals and follow what they do. You’ll cause less accidents this way.

You're advising people to drive like Thais? :o

They have a very high death rate on the roads for a reason.

Edited by cdnvic

Having driven in London for 30+ years, I'm a] well used to right-hand drive and b] pretty considerate to other drivers - e.g. in terms of allowing them to enter from a side road/overtake/change lanes etc........... and c] using a hand gesture to show my appreciation if they let me do the same.

It's c] that I'm wondering about. The norm in the UK is to raise your left hand once you're ahead of the driver who let you through - so he/she will see it through your rear window. Leaving aside that you may have heavily tinted glass (so the driver behind may not see it), it occurs to me that using your left hand for almost anything in LOS is usually considered rude. So - is my well-intentioned gesture of thanks actually not a good thing?

I do notice that most Thai drivers and pedestrians don't even bother to show any reaction if I stop/slow down to let them pass or cross; if they do, it's usually a vigorous bow of the head.......... but that's not always practical to do. And, yes, I do know that many Thai drivers don't stop/slow down for anyone or anything; after all, that wouldn't fit in with their notion that they are the only vehicle on the road :o . Seems to be different in a parking lot - nearly everyone bows and smiles....... maybe because it's more "face to face"?

On single lane roads, when a truck or bus eases to the left and/or indicates left (signalling to me that it's safe to overtake), my practice is to give a couple of flashes of my hazard lights once I get in front - to say "thanks" (as is the norm with pro - e.g. truck and bus - drivers in Europe). But I don't see others doing it here. Any thoughts about that?

i gave up a long time ago trying to work out what the thai's do when driving,let them get on with it ,drive slowly ,concentrate,give way to them ,it may take an extra 5 minutes to get where you're going but you and your car will be safe .. :D

The funniest for me is when you leave a gap so that someone can merge in slow moving traffic. They never take it as they almost can't beleive it is there, they would rather speed up and try and jam their way into some non exisitant gap somewhere else.

Yep, I've noticed that too. Additionally, if someone does take the chance to come out they are invariably followed at about 1" distance by dozens of others, talk about trying to put the cork back :o

Good manners costs nothing but are so widely ignored that I rarely bother, although if someone actually lets me out they get a wave and a smile :D

I’m saying just watch and observe how they drive and expect the unexpected.

Go with the flow and use common sense, not all Thai drivers are maniacs, just a small percentage.

Politeness is one thing but if you’re overly polite and stop for every Tom, Dick and Somchai you’ll end up causing accidents. The same goes for using unofficial foreign road signals.

I believe the best advice for non Thai drivers driving in Thailand can be found in the United Kingdom Highway Code:

Be considerate. Be careful of and considerate towards other road users. You should -

try to be understanding if other drivers cause problems; they may be inexperienced or not know the area well

be patient; remember that anyone can make a mistake

not allow yourself to become agitated or involved if someone is behaving badly on the road. This will only make the situation worse. Pull over, calm down and, when you feel relaxed, continue your journey

IMO

I’m saying just watch and observe how they drive and expect the unexpected.

Go with the flow and use common sense, not all Thai drivers are maniacs, just a small percentage.

Politeness is one thing but if you’re overly polite and stop for every Tom, Dick and Somchai you’ll end up causing accidents. The same goes for using unofficial foreign road signals.

It's not a small percentage, it's the majority that are hopelessly shoddy drivers.

I definatley wouldn't advise anybody to follow their example.

Drivers here should make themselves familiar with the rules of the road in Thailand and also the unwritten "rules and customs" that local drivers follow.

They should spend time learning these before they start driving and when they drive they should drive defensively, slowly and leave gaps whenever possible.

I always try to leave gaps and I think this is very important in avoiding collisions, a large number of accidents here occur due to driving up the arse of other cars. The problem is when you leave a gap, the car behind feels impelled to overtake and fill the gap.

I gotta say this, while it isn't anywhere near as good as it should be, driving in Thailand has come leaps and bounds since the early 1980's. Good examples from those who 'know better' eventually rub off. It just may take another 30 years, thats all!

I gotta say this, while it isn't anywhere near as good as it should be, driving in Thailand has come leaps and bounds since the early 1980's. Good examples from those who 'know better' eventually rub off. It just may take another 30 years, thats all!

That's exactly it. Improved living standards have led to a lot of first generation drivers with no examples to follow.

Steve, you've always behaved like a gentleman, and retirement won't kick that out of you. :o

We are not anonymous. The locals recognize us and our vehicles. We have an individual and corporate reputation as farang.

As for the flashing of the headlights: I saw that twice on the canal road yesterday, and it clearly meant "Out of my way, I'm coming fast and not slowing."

I was given some very good advice when I first started working in foreign countries many years ago. "Drive like the locals and you'll have fewer accidents". That advice has worked well for me.

Many signals you're familiar with at home have different meanings outside your home country and you'll end up having an accident. Also remember Thailand has a mishmash of drivers from all over the world so it could be another farang you confuse.

Your example of indicating left being safe to overtake has resulted in many tourists having head-on accidents and being killed in Oz. In Australia that signal meant it was unsafe to overtake or a car was approaching.

Just observe the locals and follow what they do. You'll cause less accidents this way.

So drink 10 bottles of Chang, make a phone call, and dont sleep for 2 days before driving, remove "cruise" and just have full speed and emergency stop not forgetting to drive 1cm from whatever is in front then turn off all yuor lights at night and practice your bling bend overtaking. Yep you will do well here see you in the papers on any given holiday. Good luck!!! :o

It's not a small percentage, it's the majority that are hopelessly shoddy drivers.

Drivers here should make themselves familiar with the rules of the road in Thailand and also the unwritten "rules and customs" that local drivers follow.

Aren't you totally contradicting yourself with these two statements? :o

I was given some very good advice when I first started working in foreign countries many years ago. "Drive like the locals and you'll have fewer accidents". That advice has worked well for me.

Many signals you're familiar with at home have different meanings outside your home country and you'll end up having an accident. Also remember Thailand has a mishmash of drivers from all over the world so it could be another farang you confuse.

Just observe the locals and follow what they do. You'll cause less accidents this way.

So drink 10 bottles of Chang, make a phone call, and dont sleep for 2 days before driving, remove "cruise" and just have full speed and emergency stop not forgetting to drive 1cm from whatever is in front then turn off all yuor lights at night and practice your bling bend overtaking. Yep you will do well here see you in the papers on any given holiday. Good luck!!! :o

& that's only the bus drivers ! :D

Aren't you totally contradicting yourself with these two statements? :o

No, but I could have written it better I spose........

What I meant to say was do not copy their bad driving habits, but learn and understand what may happen in order that you can better prepare yourself.

Ie. Learn customs such as flashing lights when an on coming car is pulling out and overtaking (it basically means get out of the way), do not copy and do yourself, but be familiar with such customs in order that when confronted with them you can adjust driving to suit the situation. If you had no knowledge of such a custom how could you know how to deal with what the car is about to do. You could even pull out yourself thinking they were letting you out.

anyway........

I don't think I did contradict myself as I said do not follow their example, but learn what they may do. In other words learn in order to know what to expect.

I didn't say do not follow their example but learn what they do and then put into practise what you see. (That certainly would be a contradiction) :D

Perhaps I should have made it clearer on my 1st post. :D

Edited by womble

I've always wanted to modify some old banger into a Death Race 2000 - type vehicle that I can use to shunt other selfish b@stard drivers off the road, and launch dick-wit maeng-kasi riders into the stratosphere with. :D

I have to do a lot of driving here, and even after a long time, its still a bugbear of mine. Although, to be fair, the bad driving habits here can seem relatively mild compared with some other neighboring countries... :o

sukanyacondo, Yes we can always pick holes in comments can't we? There are sensible ways of familiarizing yourself and following the local style of driving and then there's…....... :o

The rules are " there aint no rules" its as simple as that I say what I see and I see this often. Be polite leave some space thank people and let them carve in front of you threatening your life with their stupidity. This is what you are up against daily in BKK.

No one enforces the rules unless they need some tea money.

Most of what I stated "is" how many drive there, no they arent all drunk but the rest applies.

Darwin rules ...................................

Having just spent 1 month teaching my wife to drive after she passed the "Thai " driving test I can honestly say they do not know how to drive in Thailand. The Thai test was done in a few days off the road so the wife had never seen any real traffic I am 100% certain she wOuld have had an accident in minutes so we hired a car and went somewhere quiet until she was better.

MIRROR, SIGNAL, MANOUEVRE is something the Thais could learn to do instead its MANOUEVRE, THINK, PANIC,DEATH!!! hm maybe ive been to harsh you can remove the "THINK" bit of that.

Not all No, but a good 75% upwards are awful.

I drive to stay alive here and dont copy the locals.