Triatlon In Thailand

Khnom

• 4 weeks later...

Check out this one in Pattaya. Don't know if it is the same type

Peter Gibney from the UK wins 1st Pattaya Sprint Triathlon

By Narisa Nitikarn

Peter Gibney, a 25-year-old British athlete from the Regent School Team came first in the 2007 Pattaya Sprint Triathlon Championship held Feb. 10, crossing the finishing line nearly 500 meters in front of his nearest rival with a time of 1 hour, 27 minutes and 9 seconds in the General Men’s category.

More about this on Pattaya Mail website

http://www.pattayamail.com/708/sports.shtml#hd1

I have done this event 5 time sand it is a great event, but quite a long race and the bike course is hard with plenty of hills in the first half of the bike. For an average athlete it will take around 3.5 to 4 hours to complete.

If you are new to triathlon and want to try another great event that is a little easier and also closer to Bangkok then try the Pranburi International Triathlon (date set for Saturday 20th Otober 2007). This is in Pranburi (just south of Hua Hin) and has a sprint distance, olympic distance and team relay event - check out www.pranburitriathlon.com for more details.

I've previously competed in a Tri here in Thailand (quite successfully ;-[p), and a 10 year break from seriously competing back where i grew up. hel_l, 1hour 27min, if that is all it takes to win in Pattaya maybe I should start training again;-)

If you don't live here and are not training hard here, then a sprint is a good bet; the Phuket Tri was one of my plans, but I've never got around to doing enough training to get through it; by comparison a sprint it is all over in an hour to hour and a half, so you don't have to run during the sun period. even an olympic distance (1.5km swim, 40km ride, 10km run) is probably going to be a push if you haven't done one before.

Lots of tris; there are some with swimming in the rivers, one in Rayong coming up next month I think, the Pattaya one; and various ones in the Islands to the south.

I will try to get some more info from one of the guys at work still doing tris - in the meantime maybe check out here, there is some info on the races coming up and swim training and other junk.

http://www.trinerds.com

For Phuket, a decent time would be anything close on 3 hours flat. 3 hours 30 would be an awesome race if you have only done a tri or two before, otherwise, if it is your first effort, pace, nutrition and training should hopefully set you up for a sub 4 hour time. Beware, the run and swim are as easy as anywhere else, but the cycle looks like a KILLER. Work on your transitions, and get used to swimming without a wetsuit!