Driving A Car In Chiang Mai

philliphn

Do you drive a car in Changmai?

What are your experiences in driving your car in Changmai?

What advice do you have for some one who wants to drive a car in Changmai?

I have heard of some horror stories in regards to "Farangs" driving cars. Such as people running into you on purpose in order to extort compensation. Has this happened to you?

How do you handle being stopped by the police?

Drive carefully and courteously, keep under speed limits and don't demand YOUR right of way. Most importantly, make sure you have first class insurance, this will cover you against all eventualities including being run into by drunks or compensation seekers.

If your stopped by the police show them your passport and drivers licence. I rarely drive any distance without my Thai wife or another family member in the car so if we're stopped at a roadblock it's sorted out quickly.

If you drive regularly for business reasons you'd be well advised to employ a full time driver. My neighbor does and it gets him around a whole series of issues ranging from parking to washing his car.

Edited by sceadugenga

Are you here permanently or going to be here for decent periods of time on a regular basis? If so, get a Thai DL, it's easy, helps out a lot (I've heard, never experienced) with insurance claims if you have an accident.

I've heard the intentional fenderbender/insurance scam a few times myself, but have no personal, second-hand, or even "friend of a friend" experience with it. I'd call it an urban myth, but my paranoia won't let me discount anything!

Also, remember that if an oncoming car flashes their lights, it means they're coming through regardless (which I ALWAYS assume anyway) which is the opposite of what it means in the states, not sure about Euroland or elsewhere.

Other than that, drive attentively and defensively (as you would anywhere), always wear your seatbelt, for safety, as well as for the fact that a farang with no seatbelt is a target for an easy ticket, checkpoint or not.

Edited by calibanjr.

I have been driving here for almost two years. Driving is different to Europe but after some days it is very easy and comfortable. I never had any problems and I drive pretty fast. Driving outside the city is just fun. Good streets, little traffic and you can discover places that you wouldn't see otherwise. However I sold my car, because within the city you are faster by using the motorbike, what makes more fun, at least as it doesn't rain...

Driving a motorbike (which I was very experienced at) was only a problem for the first few minutes. Driving a car, though, was scary for many hours. Be careful, especially at night in town. I have nearly stopped driving the car in town in Chiang Mai at night; too much happens too fast.

///Added: by its nature, driving motor vehicles is always dangerous, everywhere. But here, it is very dangerous.

I have to say that driving my bike extensively and occasionally a car that it is much easier to drive here than in Australia especially Sydney. Here the drivers are much more motorcycle aware and considerate to both bikes and other vehicles. In Oz - they put on the radio, shut the windows, turn on the ignition and shut of their brain. The drivers there are very agressive and inconsiderate. There are similar numbers of pickup/wagons in Oz to Thailand but there they are used as a weapon with intent to cause damage.

The biggest thing in Chiang Mai is getting used to the speed of action. Everything moves in an apparently chaotic fashion with drivers and riders moving in between lanes but with a bit of experience you can learn to see the patterns. Obviously accidents do happen here and there are some really bad drivers but my biggest fear up here is seeing an aging farung guy in a Toyota Freelander. They are the Volvo drivers of the Western world. Don't look, don't care, and have a bugger everyone else attitude.

My other concern is the Isuzu pickup drivers who run you over on the bike, stop to check that you are still breathing and then drive off down the road before anyone spots them.

CB

Not only do you have to watch out for the Thai's that do not know how to drive and got their driver license by paying 200 baht to the tester, you have to watch out for the falangs that got their DL from a crackerjack box. Just the other day a falang woman in a black CRV made an illegal Right hand turn from the center lane right in front of me. Good thing i was making a right hand turn also.

Keep an eye out for people that run red lights. I see at least one a day here.

Been driving here for more years than I care to think about.

My two rules are: One. to drive a strong vehicle. If you can't get a second-hand Bradleys or Sherman, an old jeep will do. Some bloody idiot recently ran into the back of my jeep doing something over 120K Bahts worth of damage to his pretty little Toyota. Just got the jeep back today and paid a bill of 2,500 Baht.

Second rule. When the police stop you, act the Farang. I speak pompous English in a loud voice and this normally results in a look of disgust, a head shake and being waved on your way. If it doesn't work, give a big grin and switch to Thai.

Finally recognise that Chiang Mai driving differs from much of the rest of Thailand. The police are more lax, (unless they are after funds,) and the drivers generally far more pushy and selfish. You need to take much more care here than elsewhere.

After six years, I have concluded that there are unwritten rules of the road in Chiang Mai that seem to prevail. One poster referred to it as "patterns". One I am aware of is that when you are stopped at an intersection, and a motorcycle or other vehicle comes up along side of you and edges up so his front end is ahead of yours, he has the right of way, by Thai custom. Act accordingly.

As an old bird, I was happy to have my somewhat younger Thai mate do all the driving and the rule in our Fortuner is that I am not allowed to look out the windscreen or front window, only out the side windows at passing sights, otherwise I "lose it" much to often and yell, scream and make obscene gestures

at others on the roadway. Evidently my glare is extremely impolite when directed toward Thai drivers as I do get somewhat bowed heads and sheepish smiles when my glare is detected.

Been driving here for more years than I care to think about.

My two rules are: One. to drive a strong vehicle. If you can't get a second-hand Bradleys or Sherman, an old jeep will do. Some bloody idiot recently ran into the back of my jeep doing something over 120K Bahts worth of damage to his pretty little Toyota. Just got the jeep back today and paid a bill of 2,500 Baht.

Second rule. When the police stop you, act the Farang. I speak pompous English in a loud voice and this normally results in a look of disgust, a head shake and being waved on your way. If it doesn't work, give a big grin and switch to Thai.

Finally recognise that Chiang Mai driving differs from much of the rest of Thailand. The police are more lax, (unless they are after funds,) and the drivers generally far more pushy and selfish. You need to take much more care here than elsewhere.

Seconded in strong voice, there is a noticeable difference in the driving style in Chiang Mai. Driving away from Chiang Mai in any direction and arriving in the next 'urban' area always reminds how badly many of us drive in this town, it's a pleasant relief to find out that the rest of the country drives a lot more considerately.

JxP

If you are going to drive (in Chiang Mai or other place) you will either buy or hire a car.

With my past experience I would be inclined to NOT drive a car which has a full sun screen on all windows - I am talking about the intense screen or film on the glass which results in you not being able to see in - sure keeps the sun out (and prying eyes) and it is great during the day but not safe at night

My Toyota Vigo was fitted with same when I bought it and I am now seriously thinking about getting it removed from the windscreen. every time I go out at night - it cuts visibility down - right down... now I know i am an old bugger but my eyesight is fine, I notice that if i wind the window down at night I see the big difference that the screen makes.

It probably explains why, in Singapore, it is illegal to have more that 60% glass screened

It also explains why the guy who just cut you up and almost took your front wing off couldn't see you - he is blacked out and cannot see you either.

This apart, driving in CM is chaotic until you sort out the "pattern" as another poster describes it. Just take it easy, let the bikes have their way, don't join the racing games, and drive something big and heavy...

Enjoy your driving

Driving in Chiang Mai is unique and you have been given some very useful tips thus far. My ten pence of advice would include the following:

1) the sturdier your vehicle the better

2) drive aggressively but carefully

3) use 360 degree vision all the time, you may appear autistic by the end of a long journey but it's worth it.

4) CM police from experience are fair and not out to get farangs and in four years of driving there never had an issue with them that I didn't fully deserve (parking, speeding, no seat belt). Be polite and decide quickly whether you're going to accept a fair cop and pay a small fine or if you're going to be silly.

Safe driving.

Out on the highway, I drive in the passing (righthand) lane most of the time, as the left lane is just too crudded up (with motorcycles, noodlecycles, junkers, and, most especially, vehicles entering the highway without a clue). Most of the time, this appears to be the safer option (plus, at about 115kph, I'm pretty much not causing a problem for other traffic, tho' I keep an eye out for the yaba head approaching in afterburner, then slide left accordingly).

Now, the wife keeps preaching to me about articles she reads in the papers concerning all the tickets given out to folks lingering too long in the passing lane.

But, I've never been pulled over, PLUS, I've never ever seen anyone pulled over for any reason -- just the seatbelt/helmet checkpoints.

Is Chiang Mai an ok-rightlane-all-the-time kinda place? And, what is the speed limit on the highway -- and is it ever enforced? Oh, and if it is enforced, is there a particular style of cop car I should be on the lookout for (the Brownie on the Honda Dream doesn't worry me too much)?

Thanx.

Gosh, sneaky sneaky man! :o

Keep your eyes on the road and sides of the roads (may sound crazy to say so, but many accidents happen in those split seconds). Don't expect the other drivers to know or follow any rules, nor that they can estimate distance. Do expect drivers only to use their indicators at the moment they turn (if they use them at all), plus that they will first turn a little left before making the right turn or the other way around. Don't think the other drivers will be chai yen yen, especially not at U-turns. They wait and wait and wait, get fed up and go ... just when you are closeby.

Use horn and lights as warning signals that you are coming through or passing, there where needed. And use horn vigerously when you want to tell one s/he's a total idiot.

Use your mirrors a lot. Keep distance with the car in front of you, and make sure the car behind keeps also distance.

When you see a car or cars waiting on your left or right to run on your lane which has a huge row of cars, be nice and let them go first.

I agree with another poster, better stay on the righthand lane, IF you keep proper speed otherwise, please, stay in the left hand lane :D:D

Actually my best advice is: get to know the unwritten CM traffic rules, how the people drive here, before you step behind the wheel. I started up on a bicycle, then a bike and now a car. Although, i got my license abroad, I learned to drive in CM ...

Edited by Nienke

:o

I guess if you have a wife/gf, and perhaps some kids, and have an aversion to ever being wet (rainy season), or maintain a large home with the attendant need for garden supplies, etc., I can see the logic of owning a car.

Personally, like Nancy Reagan, (I) "Just Say No". Cars in this town are a horror to drive, with congestion/no parking, etc. and I would rather move out of town (say to Chiang Rai) if I had to own a car.

I go everywhere on a motorsai. It takes me 10 minutes to drive somewhere that takes a car a half an hour to do in this town.

Life is too short- why waste it sitting in traffic?

Back in the Land Of No Smiles, I always had a car. And a few motorcycles as well.

Here it is no contest- motorsai wins hands down.... :D

my wife was followed into the car park of Chiang Mai Ram 2 days ago by a farang driver. He followed her car blowing his horn, he then drove behind her to prevent her parking then got out his car and started shouting at her. He then waited for her to leave her car. Luckily I was in the hospital and ran down to the car park when she called me. Of course, when he saw a man his attitude changed and I told him to piss off and he did. What a ######! He said my wife had cut across his path while speaking on the phone - along with around 100 other road users per hour at that stretch of road. Very creepy. The wife wasn't too bothered but told me later he had shouted a few insults at her. His car was a pick up with the misssionary type cover over the back. If you hear a farang mention this incident, please give me the heads up as I am going to punish his dirty mouth if I can find him. A pm would be appreciated.

Driving in CM always be alert and expect some drivers to do something unexpected,like turning without left or right without giving signal, sudden cutting lanes from left to right to make a turn also without giving signal, motorcyclists are the worst among all.

Driving in Thailand with an "International Driving Permit" is best bet in case of any eventualities.

Is Chiang Mai an ok-rightlane-all-the-time kinda place? And, what is the speed limit on the highway -- and is it ever enforced? Oh, and if it is enforced, is there a particular style of cop car I should be on the lookout for (the Brownie on the Honda Dream doesn't worry me too much)?

Thanx.

I've driven over a million kilometres in Thailand and don't find Chiangmai to be any worse than any other place and certainly much better than Bangkok or the Pattaya area as far as police harassment goes.

On the highway the only police you have to worry about are, not surprisingly, the Highway Police. They have radar guns but tend to set up in the same places repeatedly so after a while you know the danger areas. I have been stopped many times when my radar detector has not shown any sign of a radar gun but I have been speeding at the time. I believe the official speeds are 90kph for pickups and 100 for cars. The amount of latitude involved seems to vary, but mostly these days you have to be exceeding 120 to get stopped. The police are unfailingly polite and even if you have to pay an official (with receipt) fine, it does not exceed 400 baht. Return their courtesy and you are generally fine.

The "no speak Thai" ploy mentioned by other posters can work but only if you have a license type that makes this believable.

3 years driving in thailand now and apart from 1 parking fine and of course the usual speeding fines at same place somewere by nakon suwan i quite enjoy the driving experience in chiang mai just have to be aware at all times just hope this post doesnt put the jinks on me now will be double careful tonight round town

I have heard of some horror stories in regards to "Farangs" driving cars. Such as people running into you on purpose in order to extort compensation. Has this happened to you?

In my 3 years here, the things that paticularly stand out for me are,

motorcycles passing from behind on the left, many cars running the red light, cars driving down the middle of a road that has two lanes for that direction,

cars not staying in their lanes, turning traffic turning in front of opposite traffic going straight, and my favourite- traffic doing U-Turns where there is sign staying not to- have nearly crashed twice from cars stopping in the fast lane trying to do a cheecky u-turn

was really angry in the beginning when I started driving here but now come to expect it and have a cautious approach now, just go with the flow.

If you are at the front of the que ready for the green light never blast away quick as 50% of the time there will be a red light runner coming thru. :o

never been stopped by BIB so cant comment

I find driving in Chiang Mai fairly easy, as you are rarely confronted with Bangkok-style traffic jams. On the other hand, Bangkok drivers are a lot better when it comes to observing the rules of the road. The biggest challenge for me in Chiang Mai is scooter and motorbike drivers who all seam to share some kind of death wish, Thai and Farang alike. It reminds me somewhat of driving in Naples, Italy. Outside of Chiang Mai, the mountain roads are a lot of fun. I second others in recommending first class insurance for peace of mind. I have never heard of nor experienced anything like accidents caused purposefully to extort compensation. The only time I was stopped by the police was for not wearing a seat belt. After telling the officer I did not have time to go to the Police Station, he demanded and I paid 400 baht tea money.

A couple of years ago, I was late in seeing a red light while driving in Chiang Rai. Brakes locked, I ended up entering the intersection and hitting another car (fortunately nobody was hurt). The police came over to see what happened, but didn't ticket me even after I admitted guilt (!?). The other driver was reasonable and the worst of it was wasting about 2 hours for the insurance guy to come over and fill out all the paperwork.

my wife was followed into the car park of Chiang Mai Ram 2 days ago by a farang driver. He followed her car blowing his horn, he then drove behind her to prevent her parking then got out his car and started shouting at her. He then waited for her to leave her car. Luckily I was in the hospital and ran down to the car park when she called me. Of course, when he saw a man his attitude changed and I told him to piss off and he did. What a ######! He said my wife had cut across his path while speaking on the phone - along with around 100 other road users per hour at that stretch of road. Very creepy. The wife wasn't too bothered but told me later he had shouted a few insults at her. His car was a pick up with the misssionary type cover over the back. If you hear a farang mention this incident, please give me the heads up as I am going to punish his dirty mouth if I can find him. A pm would be appreciated.

It was me Low Dead. Come on mate let's get it on. Name the place.....I'll be there.sFi_hammers.gif

No it wasn't, just taking the piss.

I ride a Bike in Chiang Mai to breeze through the traffic.

In a car I'd stay the h_ell away from the city center.

Traffic cops are more likely to hassle bikers than motorists.

My advice is, don't drive stupidly, like most farangs.

Always give yourself a safe 'out' in any situation.

If you are a driver who is constantly amazed at how bad Thai are at driving, maybe YOU should be the one not driving...

dO YOU MEAN DRIVING A motorcycle or driving a car?

The cops shouldn't stop you if you are driving car. If you are on a motorcycle and not wearing a helmet then they will probably stop you and fine you, either on the spot or take your license and send you to the station where you'll pay a fine and get your license back.

If you are driving car, then i find a small car is easier to drive as so many streets and sois are so small. I've never heard of deliberate crashing. I would get insured though as it's likely you'll have a bump at some point.