Were You Ever Robbed In Thailand?

Bluecat

I have a few friends in Europe who have been robbed quite a few times.

My parents included.

They left their garage unlocked for a few hours and whatever was in the garage was stolen,...

Computers stealing is very, very common in Europe and it happened two times already in my company headquarters.

Here in Thailand, I was never stolen anything.

And I live in Bangkok.

Am I lucky? :o

Just last week someone walked into the office below mine and took 2 laptops, thing is the office isn't in a high crime area... maybe complacency makes it an easy target. We have an electronic door where people have to be "buzzed in" but it had stuck open a little bit which means the magnetic lock didn't connect, they just walked in forced open the office door and made away with the laptops !

Only time I've ever had any "bother" in Thailand is when one night after a particulary heavy drinking binge with some friends we all got split up, and finding myself alone I decided to get a taxi back to the hotel, taxi instead took me to a bar of some sorts ( I remember the taxi driver having to knock on the door and plenty of women !), anyway, next thing I remember is walking down a soi in the daylight, when I tried to get some money from the ATM ( as my pockets were empty ) found that I had drawn out my daily limit ! Thank god for daily limits ! Due to the lack of memory I'm sure that "something" was put in my drink to make me more.. suggestable ?

Anyway live and learn..

Totster :o

When I lived in a gated compound with a drunken security guard one of the houses was robbed by sneak thieves one night,from what I heard from my house maid and that I should always lock the windows and doors at night because they had stolen stereos and computers and they would get mine also. But I presonally have never had any trouble here, and now all my hand,elcectric tools are out in racks in the carport along with my new big gen set and my welding tools and motorcycle and I have never lost anything,altho my bro's in law come and borrow things when I am not home,but always bring them back.

The gates and doors are never locked.

I've been robbed by a man in a brown uniform. B*stard!  :D

"Robbed"? I doubt it. Chances are that you did something illegal, didn't want to face the music, so paid them off. Reflects as poorly on you as it does on them.

The initial question is about robbing.

Not corruption.

Let's keep that topic for another thread,... :o

OK. 15 years in Thailand, never been robbed, burgled, or had anything otherwise stolen from me (except my heart, more times than I can remember). 18 years in Asia -- only had one incident in Bali where my car was broken into and items stolen.

20 years ago my mate and I fell for the " lend me 3,000 baht and I'll give you back 5,000 baht" scam .... nothing!

Later a BG ripped off a few thousand as I was too p*ssed and the hotel didn't have the safe open after 9pm. Always stay in places that have 24 hour access to safety deposit boxes or a safe in the room now!

So nothing too bad there .... a lot worse in the UK!

Few years back I was robbed- hotel room broken into and camera stolen. I was dumb enough to leave it in my room- knoq better now, so everything I want to keep goes into the safe deposit box if I'm not using it. Stupidity on my part, but I learned my lesson.

I have never been robbed :D in Thailand but i have been shown many sorts of real kindness. :o

I bought the wrong sort of water pump for the well at my house (plenty push but not much suck, like a farang wife) the man that lived next door took his own pump off his well and put it on my well.

I didn't realise that for the next week, until i got the right pump, he walked 1/2 a mile to the stream for water for his family each day. :D

He didn't even come round to my house for water because he didn't want to disturb me as i was on holiday.

Many other examples of kindness.

I understand that there are bad people in every country but Thailand seems one of the better ones. :D

BC- In Town Holiday in Pattaya! (hate naming names too, but....) Hotel Staff was useless- didn't want to call the tourist police. Plus I noticed they had a strange habit of handing out the wrong keys. :o Oh well live and learn as I always say.

I've been robbed by a man in a brown uniform. B*stard!  :o

"Robbed"? I doubt it. Chances are that you did something illegal, didn't want to face the music, so paid them off. Reflects as poorly on you as it does on them.

Your doubt is misplaced. It was robbery, no doubt about it. I could see he was lying, and he knew that I knew he was lying. Read more here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...etchaburi&st=15

I hope, PvtDick, if it happens to you that you get a little more sympathy.

And, Bluecat, it is not corruption if you haven't done anything wrong. The fact that I paid him off merely showed that I didn't have the time (or belief that it would do any good) to go to a police station and argue about. He was more than ready to accept the pay-off, and his actions and attitude when I paid him showed he had done it before.

just once ,some years back whilst boarding the chao prya express boat . in a split second whilst hopping aboard from the pontoon , a gang of pickpockets were hanging around on the pontoon , swarmed around me and wallet went. felt it go & looked around qucikly ,saw the guy pass it to another and he passed it to another guy . there must have been 5 in the gang.

couldnt locate the final holder of my wallet . my girl went to the driver of the boat and the boat stopped dead in the river ! This was before mobiles were common so we couldnt call the police to meet the boat at the next pontoon stop .

The passengers were mighty scared at the goings on and when we reached the next pontoon stop the boat suddenly virtually emptied of passengers .

lost CCs and 1000 baht so no big deal ,stopped the cards within 1 hour so no losses .

And, Bluecat, it is not corruption if you haven't done anything wrong. The fact that I paid him off merely showed that I didn't have the time (or belief that it would do any good) to go to a police station and argue about. He was more than ready to accept the pay-off, and his actions and attitude when I paid him showed he had done it before.

Ok, I'm diverting a bit from the subject of the thread.

If you pay the guy, it is corruption, whenever you are right or wrong.

And besides, if you are right, he will never ever go to the police station.

If you are wrong, let him fine you.

Believe me, on the long term, it will help Thailand even if on the short term, it does not really help you,...

Will retire to Chiang Mai next year and contemplating how to live there, as I will be travelling the house will be empty from time to time.

Glad to read that no one seems ever to be robbed or been victim of burglary.

But please explain why there are so many gated communities with extensive security around, I would prefer not living in one of those but perhaps there are other reasons ?

Puzzled

Ok, I'm diverting a bit from the subject of the thread.

If you pay the guy, it is corruption, whenever you are right or wrong.

And besides, if you are right, he will never ever go to the police station.

If you are wrong, let him fine you.

Believe me, on the long term, it will help Thailand even if on the short term, it does not really help you,...

Sorry Bluecat, we'll just have to "agree to differ" on this one. It is my honest opinion that he was not acting as a policeman, but as a robber. Because his actions had no authority, there was no authority to corrupt.

Hey rcjoop ... be thankful that it is not like the Phillipines ..... went to a McD once there .... there were 5 or 6 schoolkids in uniform in there and there were 2 security guards at the door and both had loaded pump action sawn off shotguns!!

I was shocked!!

Be thankful for a little low level security!!

I've been rubbed in Thailand once. They took the TV and stereo system from downstairs while I was happily sleeping upstairs.

Apart from that, I have been had my wallet pick-pocketed last new-years eve. Strangely enough in a more affluent part of town.

ASIC

Apart from that, I have been had my wallet pick-pocketed last new-years eve. Strangely enough in a more affluent part of town.

You think pickpockets are dumb enough to steal from poor people?

Seriously, though, "affluent" areas of town don't have gates up barring entrance to the non-affluent. Besides, in Bangkok, even the most affluent areas are dotted with slums. I live in one of the most expensive parts of town, yet look down on three or four slum areas.